ms 260 pro oiler question while cutting pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greener acres

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all, just curious if anyone knows an optimum setting for the oiler when cutting pine. I think I read somewhere on this forum that you want more oil when cutting this type of wood, if I am mistaken any advice would be appreciated.

Well, no-one else has offered so here goes.
I generally keep the oiler on high, even with a 16" bar, in fir or oak. I don't think this is a big waste as it keeps my bar in good condition.
If you think you are wasting alot of oil with it on high, turn it down a bit.
The general rule is:
Softwood and/or small bar, a bit less oil is needed.
Hardwood and/or large bar, more oil.

You are the best judge of your saws condition. Between cuts, turn the saw off and lift the chain from the bar groove and check for oil. Watch the chain for any discoloring or smoking.
If you use cheap oil it won't hold to the bar as well and so you will need more, which still might not lubricate properly.
Hope this helps.:cheers:

I generally keep the oiler on high, even with a 16" bar, in fir or oak. I don't think this is a big waste as it keeps my bar in good condition.
The general rule is:

You are the best judge of your saws condition. Between cuts, turn the saw off and lift the chain from the bar groove and check for oil. Watch the chain for any discoloring or smoking.
If you use cheap oil it won't hold to the bar as well and so you will need more, which still might not lubricate properly.
+1
by the way, nice choice in saws!

The general rule is:

I think Stihl chain will lube better with less oil; the little groove on the left side of each drive link carries the oil along with it to where it needs to go.

Latest posts

Back