ms 361 muffler mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
361 muffler mod

I just modded my good buddy's 361's muffler today after I did a tune up on it. I did my mod on it, walker style, two 1/2" id pipes, angled them to the side, and brazed them in. I am whooped though, that muffler really gave me a workout. Everything was a real SOB on it, taking it apart and trying to put it back together. It was that crimped edge, if it was my saw I would have just cut it off and not fiddled with it, but it wasn't mine so I had to do it. But now the saw is tuned and the muffler is painted and looks and sounds really good. This saw has a 24" bar on it with RSLHK (semi-skip full chisel). I sharpened it and ran it through a log before the mod and it easily bogged. After the mod it really perked up and you could pull on it more, but it still was a lot of bar for that saw. I'd say it would be best with a 18" though. It is really nose heavy with that bar.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Make sure you cover the muffler screws if you cut in any dirty or wet areas. They will get pretty clogged up and bound.
Other than that, nice job.
Chad

Make sure you cover the muffler screws if you cut in any dirty or wet areas. They will get pretty clogged up and bound.
Other than that, nice job.
Chad

This isn't my saw, it is my buddie's, he has a farm and a construction company, and I did a tune up on it for him and a muffler mod. The muffler screw caps weren't on it when I got it...sooooo..... These 361's run pretty good, they pull and 18" bar better though....:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers:

I'm running a 20 on mine and really like the saw alot. Its actually favored (to me) over the 372 and of course the old 036. I ended up putting the 460 HO oiler on it as well, figured it was cheap insurance if I needed either a longer bar for something or heavy dry wood (some pretty heavy oak, tends to burn the bar a bit if I don't watch out).

I actually ran a healthy 036 Pro against my 361 today and I have to say I was impressed with how the 036 kept up. I know the 361 is the replacement for the 36, and is a little smaller cc wise. The 036 was a lot louder, and I know why there too. I liked both, maybe the 361 was a little lighter, but I dont care about all the weight crap, I like a good saw. Vibes...361 of course, but I still have a sweet spot for the 034/036 saws.

I actually ran a healthy 036 Pro against my 361 today and I have to say I was impressed with how the 036 kept up. I know the 361 is the replacement for the 36, and is a little smaller cc wise. The 036 was a lot louder, and I know why there too. I liked both, maybe the 361 was a little lighter, but I dont care about all the weight crap, I like a good saw. Vibes...361 of course, but I still have a sweet spot for the 034/036 saws.

Fav's are just that!

Mine is the 028 Supers.

It has been a while since I ran an 034/036 , but I would be willing to bet that there is a lot more usable throttle on the 361 ?

Can't be done, it's impossible, yup, the saw is too new and is so perfect in stock form that it needs NOTHING!!
And it can cure cancer!!!!!!!

Fav's are just that!

Mine is the 028 Supers.

It has been a while since I ran an 034/036 , but I would be willing to bet that there is a lot more usable throttle on the 361 ?

Maybe, but I try to run WFO on my saws all the time, I think part of what I love is the sweet noise of the 036 at full song buried in the cut. I tried today to focus on how the saws cut, and I still didnt notice a lot of difference. Dont get me wrong, the 361 is a gem, no way around that.

My first Stihl was an 036...I still miss that saw...:cry:

Amen. I knew I wouldnt keep my 034 forever, promised it back to the seller when he wanted it. I WILL build or buy an 034 or 036 in the future. That series of saw is one of the best ever.

I've got a new top end kit for an 036/360, just been waiting for one to show up on ebay at the right price for a rebuild. I've sold every one that I've owned to people in the area; wish I had kept one of them, as they are great saws.

LOLOL.. Ive been sitting on a NEW 361 P&C for a year now waiting for one to turn up .. but...

I bet one will the moment I sell it...

LOLOL.. Ive been sitting on a NEW 361 P&C for a year now waiting for one to turn up .. but...

I bet one will the moment I sell it...

Andy one of these days a 361 will show up as a 'parts saw' on ebay; it's been out long enough now that surely someone has ran one on gas, dropped it out of a tree or ran over it. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back