MS 361 vs. 290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have 8 acres of tops to crawl around in and to clean up, get yourself a light pro class saw.

How many trees were cut on the 8 acres? We did 10 acres a couple of years ago, but only let them take the 70 older trees we wanted to get rid of.

If there's a lot of wood to cut up, and it's all tops, I think a 372XP or PS-7900 with a 18-20" bar, and a 260/346NE/5100S with a 12-14" would get the job done in a hurry.

I wouldn't recommend setting a 361 on fire regardless of how clean it burns. Waste of a good chainsaw.

Ian

Ian,

I still am not quite over the ported 361 I missed out on last year. As far as I was concerned, you sacrificed it on the alter.

I will forgive you someday,

father joat

8 acres of ash tops? 290 should handle that just fine, unless the diameter is above 20". Of course the 361 is a better, more powerful saw. But, if your 290 is in good shape you wont need a 361. Some of these people here will steer you towards a saw just cause they read it was the best. If you want a 361, sure, go buy one, but if your 290 is in good running order and the wood diameter isnt too big realistically for the 290 on a consistent basis, its not necessary.
:agree2:

I also agree.. i have both as well, and find myself picking up the 290 as much as the 361. I have a 25" bar on the 361 only because of bending over. If i need to cut larger wood than 20", then the 460 comes out anyway. But i admit I also like the 361, and feels good in the hand.

THanks for all the input guys, this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.
Wood cutting isnt a hobby for me, nor is saw collecting. But I am liking the idea of modding my 290. I did a quick search and skimmed through a few threads, so basically its just opening up the back pressure on the muffler and richening the fuel air ratio to keep from leaning out? Even if done properly, how much will this shorten the life of the saw?

THanks for all the input guys, this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.
Wood cutting isnt a hobby for me, nor is saw collecting. But I am liking the idea of modding my 290. I did a quick search and skimmed through a few threads, so basically its just opening up the back pressure on the muffler and richening the fuel air ratio to keep from leaning out? Even if done properly, how much will this shorten the life of the saw?

Most here will tell you that it will lengthen the life of the saw because it will run cooler.

ST,

Perhaps he has a more interesting hobby for fun.

Joat

:laugh: :clap: I'm with ya there Joat......As much as I like the saws and doing wood, there are things that interest me more, push the fun factor off the chart and get the old heart ah thumping in ways that will never be forgotten!.....Like fishing & hunting! :)

BTW.....361, what's that?

I have a MS-361 and have never looked back on the decision to purchase. Nice saw, feels good in the hands, and power to handle all my firewood needs.

Had to post again. Couldn't stay on triple 6s.

I won't be sitting on that # either when I get that far. Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that way. :agree2: In my opinion there is not enough difference in the power between the 2 models of saws. I would get the ms460 with 25'' bar & and smile ear to ear.

Last edited:
Muffler mod the 290 and it would do the job fine.

361 is great, but if you dont want to spend the $$$, try the mod first.
Do as he said. I modded mine not long after buying it cause wasn’t really impressed too much. The muffler mod is so good I’m debating on porting it also but am now satisfied how well it runs and cuts since the mod. With a good chain I will put it against a 361 or 362 any day. I just don’t know if I would all day or everyday tho.

I Have the 362 - 290 and 261c. All with a 20'' bar. My go to for everything is the 261. It's lighter and cuts everything the other two can cut. No mater how big the wood is my 261c seems to handle everything.
I have even cut 48'' oak logs all day long with it. IMG_5440.JPGIMG_5447.JPG

Latest posts

Back