MS 361 vs. MS 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvatica

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There have been a few discussions on the new Stihl 361, but I would like to know if this saw is totally new from the ground up, or if it is an "improvement" on the proven 036/360 chassis.

The 2004 Stihl catalog shows while the air filter cover is different, the 361 has brought back the round, spring knob from the 036, not the 90° latch of the 360 (which I have seen get loose).

Lower vibration is advertised.

Is the 361's carb preheating system like that on an Arctic?

The 361 is listed as down in displacement by 2.5 cc, down in weight by .2 lbs, and down in power by .12 hp.

Originally posted by Sylvatica
There have been a few discussions on the new Stihl 361, but I would like to know if this saw is totally new from the ground up, or if it is an "improvement" on the proven 036/360 chassis.

The 2004 Stihl catalog shows while the air filter cover is different, the 361 has brought back the round, spring knob from the 036, not the 90° latch of the 360 (which I have seen get loose).

Lower vibration is advertised.

Is the 361's carb preheating system like that on an Arctic?

The 361 is listed as down in displacement by 2.5 cc, down in weight by .2 lbs, and down in power by .12 hp.

its got better torque than the 360 pro had, ive cut with one.
360 pro always seemed down in the lugging torque dept..

Hi, I almost bought the MS361 yesterday and then the owner of the shop told me that it was the "standard model". I asked what he meant by the "standard model". I understand that you can get the MS361 saw in 3 flavors, the standard model, the MS361C, which has the quick adjust chain side cover found on the MS270c and Ms280CQS and maybe the ElastoStart pull rope and finally the MS361QC that has both of those features plus a quickstop braking system. I will wait to see the other versions with my own eyes and compare features and price before I make my decision. Hopefully soon. Dave

well not to judge something i dont know diddley about but i got an 036 here that i would put against eith model 361..
i know what i got,, which is a heck of a good saw.. time will tell if this new stuff is on par with it.. unil then just call me
with u 361 and make me believe head to head..then its your chain against mine ..
so still wont prove nothin i guess..
cept piossibly that u dont know how to get an chain rite:D

I've never had any problems out of either of the two 036's that I've owned, in fact I still have one of them that I use every day. I use my for production logging when I'm in timber of the 10''-16'' range where I make only occasional cuts in larger wood. I have never found the side latch on the air filter cover to be a problem. Its been a very good saw, when it comes time to replace it I'll get a husky 357xp nothing against the 036 just trying something different. Oh, I run a 20'' b/c on it most of the time except when I'm blocking firewood then I like a 16''.;)

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Sorry, but I would not wish to own a chainsaw with such a system. But I'm glad Stihl is making it available to those who want it.

At the rate Stihl is going, it won't be long before their saws are totally unusable without full body armor and weekly visits to the dealer. Maybe a new recoil that requires a 'dealer only' special key in order to start it?
:rolleyes:

I agree anyone who knows and RESPECTS what a chain saw is capable of should not need all of these gizmos built in. Unfortunalty any Joe Shmo can walk into most dealers with mastercard and walk out with a 460 and a 28" bar because its a cool looking saw in the picture! Then after they cut their head off it is considered an accident.

think i mite have read a post here by that sort.. i just said a littlle prayer forum an went on..bout all u can do

I have not seen one yet, but the blurbs from Stihl (and info from my respected tech guy, Ben Crago), make it an improved 360. Less weight, more power, and improved anti vibration. Yes, it is a pro saw. The porting is the big improvement, I think they have been monitoring the site.:D
Anyone who buys one AND uses it, needs to let us know how it goes.

Re: 361

Originally posted by stihltech
I have not seen one yet, but the blurbs from Stihl (and info from my respected tech guy, Ben Crago), make it an improved 360. Less weight, more power, and improved anti vibration. Yes, it is a pro saw. The porting is the big improvement, I think they have been monitoring the site.:D
Anyone who buys one AND uses it, needs to let us know how it goes.

I used one at school this year. They had one 361. along with the easy start 270 there. funny story, the prototype 270 easy start got stole out of one of the reps trucks. guy bought at an flea market, tried to use it but it didnt run right, took it to dealer, dealer called supplier wondering why he hadn't recieved any nor had any parts breakdowns...

1 038 mag here, dont get much use, but does once in a while touch some wood.

I got some in last week.....and I cut with one.....I was very impressed......will outperform a 360 no problem.......it does sit on a completely different chassis than the 360 with a smaller cyl that is quadported......making the same power.....the thing that impressed me the most was how smooth cutting it was.....I think it will prove to be a good seller.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Joey P
I got some in last week.....and I cut with one.....I was very impressed......will outperform a 260 no problem.......

Uh... was there any doubt before hand? The real question is whether or not it will outperform the Special Edition "Tim Allen" Wild Thing, LOL. :rolleyes:

Russ

Latest posts

Back