MS 361 vs MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the MS 362?
Got a bunch a few months ago and just started using them.
Plenty of power (for it's size) but is it reliable?
Cut down a 4ft poplar with it, (against it's lean) worked okay with it's bar burried (lots of fun cutting a 4ft tree with a 18" bar) but there are some details I dislike...
Firstly, the way the top cover clips on: Already lost one clip on two of the saws (ordered 5 extra, knowing it will happen again...).
also, I'm not too sure how the air filter "clip" system will hold through time...
What are your first impressions on this saw?
So far, I think I prefered the MS 361.

362 in action...
174005d1298840910-dsc00391-jpg

Nice workout for the 362 !
I've got 361's and know why I like them but I've not run the 362 .
The 362 has been available for about a year around here but I don't know anybody with one .

I have one now for about a year and so far i have had no proublem,s out of it it is ready to work when i am i run a 20in B/C on mine.The air filter syster seem,s ok i have not lost any lock down,s on the top cover i did loose one of the bolt,s that hold,s the dog,s on check them before you run it to much.

Mike

I have one now for about a year and so far i have had no proublem,s out of it it is ready to work when i am i run a 20in B/C on mine.The air filter syster seem,s ok i have not lost any lock down,s on the top cover i did loose one of the bolt,s that hold,s the dog,s on check them before you run it to much.

Mike

Thanks, I will check that out. Our guys are really tough on the saws. I will soon know how well they stand.

I've cut about 12 cords with mine so far and am happy with it. Run a 20" bar and haven't lost any parts or had any trouble with clips. Just the right size saw for what I do, also have a 290 & 025 that were my main saws until last year. Friend of mine has a 044, I think my 362 cuts as good as it does.

I just bought one and it's going to be going to work tomorrow.I cut up a dead maple today with ease. I have 3 people that need me to remove trees from their yards. The next time I get the bright idea to put an ad on Craigslist, someone slap me!!

I've cut about 12 cords with mine so far and am happy with it. Run a 20" bar and haven't lost any parts or had any trouble with clips. Just the right size saw for what I do, also have a 290 & 025 that were my main saws until last year. Friend of mine has a 044, I think my 362 cuts as good as it does.

i have to disagree with the 044 /362 comparison there. i own an 044 and use it almost every day logging or cutting firewood. i run a 24 inch bar on it. my uncle just bought a 362 with a 24 inch bar and i can tell a difference in power. i wouldnt have got the 24" on it because i know that robs some power but it is a more fair comparison with identical bar lengths and the 044 wins for sure. maybe something is wrong with your friends 044? who knows. anyways one thing i noticed is that my 044 doesnt weigh much more at all than the 362 and the overall size is pretty even between the 2. the 362 is a much smoother running saw though and im sure its better on fuel.

I drank the Koolaid and bought a 361 back in '09. I wasn't too impressed with it.... It was all scream and no meat. You had to be very light handed with it. I took it back to the dealer several times and everytime they said RPMs spec'd out right and the saw was running perfect... Had it about 6 months and sold it to another AS member. He loves it!

The 362 came out last year and I bought one. It's everything the 361 wasn't. Good all around power and excellent torque. Feels smooth and strong in the cut and handles very well as a primary firewood saw and a bucking/stumping saw in my land clearing project. Both saws wear/wore an 18" bar and 3/8 RSC chain. Maybe I got a bad 361, but everyone else that ran it said it was good...

In the year that I've owned my 362 it has performed flawlessly. It's a very easy starter (probably the best out of any of the Stihls I've ever owned) and I've had zero issues with it. It's easy on fuel, a good oiler and I can go a long time between filter cleanings. And when it is time for a cleaning the top cover comes off and gives the best access to the carb/cylinder area of any Stihl I've owned.

So, as you can tell, I like my 362 a lot and recommend it very highly to the firewood cutter!:cheers:

I can't comment on the MS 361, but everything Country1 said about the MS 362 pretty much sums it up, great on fuel, lots of power, easy starting, low maintenance, etc. I've cut around 8 cord or so with mine and it has been flawless. I guess the MS 362 is just my flavor of Koolaid, too.

i have to disagree with the 044 /362 comparison there. I own an 044 and use it almost every day logging or cutting firewood. I run a 24 inch bar on it. My uncle just bought a 362 with a 24 inch bar and i can tell a difference in power. I wouldnt have got the 24" on it because i know that robs some power but it is a more fair comparison with identical bar lengths and the 044 wins for sure. Maybe something is wrong with your friends 044? Who knows. Anyways one thing i noticed is that my 044 doesnt weigh much more at all than the 362 and the overall size is pretty even between the 2. The 362 is a much smoother running saw though and im sure its better on fuel.
put a 20" bar on both saws,buried in hardwood,there is little difference. I run a 24" on my 362,and agree it is @ its max, but does a very good job for a 60cc saw. Many here think you need a 6h.p. Saw on a 24" bar. With these new strato saws it just isn't so........

Back