MS 362 opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawmechanic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
well my budget for a saw went down, so im looking at the ms 362. im looking at running it in oak at a max of about 24 inches in diameter. will mostly run a 20 inch b/c on it, also what chain type is best for the 20 inch bar. it will be used 2-3 days a week for firewood.

You better get a 562xp - the MS362 is a pretty uninteresisting saw, outdated before it hit the market! :msp_wink:

You better get a 562xp - the MS362 is a pretty uninteresisting saw, outdated before it hit the market! :msp_wink:

haha...well that sure didn't take long! The man asked nothing about a 562 and you start the Husky drum beating in the very first response. MS362, "uninteresting" to who, you? I find it interesting and probably many others do as well. To me, what is uninteresting is an outboard clutch and a primer bulb on a pro saw.

To the OP, the 362 will be a great saw for what you're describing. Run a STIHL RSC chain and you will make quick work of that Oak.

haha...well that sure didn't take long! The man asked nothing about a 562 and you start the Husky drum beating in the very first response. MS362, "uninteresting" to who, you? I find it interesting and probably many others do as well. To me, what is uninteresting is an outboard clutch and a primer bulb on a pro saw.

To the OP, the 362 will be a great saw for what you're describing. Run a STIHL RSC chain and you will make quick work of that Oak.

I do despise the outboard clutch

Yea I have seen "uninteresting" due to being "too heavy" coming from lovers of the ms361 and I have run them side by side and I didn't notice this weight gain at all while in my hands. The MS362 a very good saw being smooth and having plenty of power for what you will use it for. If it is "uninteresting" for being great at what you need it for then so be it. The only "flaw" I saw was the non tooless air cleaner cover removal. And yea the flippy caps are still there.

Stop trying to sell your Huskies at every opportunity please. It is generally annoying. And painfully transparent.

The 362 is a good saw. It has more power and is more durable than the competition. Around here, it is known that the 362 has more power (torque) and better durability than the 357 huskies by far. The 359 is a better Husky, i'd say.For that matter, I know several long time pro saw guys that have had it with the coveted 372's because of crank failures. They are switching to Stihl's.

What is it with you Sawtroll? the pros generally don't agree with many/most of your assessments. In the current 60-70cc saw range the Stihls are known to be more torquey, more durable saws. Pros run Husky in that size because they rev quick and feel good in their hands. But they replace them every season too. That's why I bought my 362. Because I talked to guys and decided I wanted my saw to last a long, long time. Husky builds screamers, Stihl builds tractors. It's always been that way, as far as I know. Screamers generally don't last as long as tractors. But they are fun to run.

Anyway, have a nice day. Please stop continuously crapping on Stihl. I really don't care, but the misinformation at times is staggering. Some people want to know the truth. Propoganda is not the truth.

It's not. Spring AV, stratofied, good air filtration...

Thanks Brad, but I was hoping to hear something directly from Sawtroll. He seemed quite assertive in his judgement of this saw. One would presume that he could cite some facts/specs/market trends that support, or even drive his position.

I'll repeat my question so Sawtroll doesn't miss it....

Sawtroll,

What are the specific aspects/elements/features etc, that have rendered the Stihl MS362 'outdated' before it hit the market'?

Thanks!

That new Husky 562xp certainly is a sexy looking saw but it's also more expensive and only .1 hp more powerful and less than a half pound lighter. I don't see such a substatial difference that it make that Husky better in any way other than to the person who may be totally biased on brands. I think it's a good move to bring in another color other than straight Orange to the styling because lets face facts we all want something to look good too. Stihl figured that out a long time ago. I love all saws but the original post was about the MS362. I do lean more towards Stihl overall because of the dealer relationship I have and pricing of comparable models but a pro Husky is always a good bet too. If I had a Dolmar shop nearby Id probably have one of them too just because.

Thanks Brad, but I was hoping to hear something directly from Sawtroll. He seemed quite assertive in his judgement of this saw. One would presume that he could cite some facts/specs/market trends that support, or even drive his position.

I'll repeat my question so Sawtroll doesn't miss it....

Sawtroll,

What are the specific aspects/elements/features etc, that have rendered the Stihl MS362 'outdated' before it hit the market'?

Thanks!

I haven't been around for a long time here yet, but I'm pretty sure he's just (successfully) trying to get a rise out of 362 loyalists, and anti-one-brand-only-is-best types.

MS362, good saw

The 362 is a fine saw. Excellent AV, plenty of power to pull a 20" chain, it will hold its own with a 25" but is better suited to the 20". I have been using one to cut firewood for the past 2 years, cut about 25 cords so far. It does weigh in about 3/4 pound more than sawtroll's beloved 361 but only on paper. The 362 has a slightly smaller fuel tank, once in work trim the difference in weight is neglible, you won't notice it. The 362 also has a .2 hp advantage over the 361, you will notice that. My 362 took about 20 tanks of fuel ran through it before it really woke up and wake up it did. I am running 20" RSF on mine, RSC or RMC would also be good choices.

Lastly, I speak from experience unlike someone here, I owned a 361 prior to my 362. The 361 is a good saw as well but I think the 362 is better IMO. I ran both side by side before trading the 361 in and the 362 definitely had more grunt on the bottom end.

MS362, its like ringing the dinner bell at a fat farm for sawtroll, he will come running.

guess i've been guilty of the weight on paper thing before but half the time you would not notice 1/2 to 1lb extra on a saw if it feel's good go for it:cheers:

guess i've been guilty of the weight on paper thing before but half the time you would not notice 1/2 to 1lb extra on a saw if it feel's good go for it:cheers:

Everyone likely is at some point. Fuel & oil tanks capacity should be figured in... I would like to see wet weights of the powerheads publish. I dont care about B&C weights because I have from 16 - 36" and that can vary the weight ~3 Lbs. Wet weight of the powerhead is what matters, and you are correct you wouldn't notice half a pound.

dw

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back