MS 362 opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some get it, some don't

guess i've been guilty of the weight on paper thing before but half the time you would not notice 1/2 to 1lb extra on a saw if it feel's good go for it:cheers:

Everyone likely is at some point. Fuel & oil tanks capacity should be figured in... I would like to see wet weights of the powerheads publish. I dont care about B&C weights because I have from 16 - 36" and that can vary the weight ~3 Lbs. Weight weight of the powerhead is what matters, and you are correct you wouldn't notice half a pound.

dw

You guys get it. Why can't some other people?

The 362's fuel capacity is 2.9 oz less than the 361. That figures out to be around 2 oz less wet weight for the 362 power head only, bringing the difference in working weight to just about 10 ounces. So, yes the 361 is lighter but not by much. I am using Stihl's stated measurements and weights for this. If that slight difference in weight is really all that matters to someone they shouldn't even be handling a chainsaw.

The advantages of the 362 outweigh that of the 361(pun intended). The .2 increase in hp, better AV, better filtration, better fuel mileage of the 362 make the slight weight increase a non issue. Again, you will not notice the weight difference in day to day working. You will notice the difference in power and AV as well as the gas sipping of the 362. Pulling the 20" RSF I can cut 1/2 cord of wood before needing to refuel. The 361 I had would get a bit over 1/3 cord before needing fuel and it has the bigger tank! That right there should end the debate but it won't.

I purchased a 362 new ~1 year ago now. Bought it to cut firewood with. Came with a 20" E bar. I have been cutting in a 24" red oak recently and buried the bar. Saw never slowed down. I just modded the muffler and that made a noticeable difference in terms of torque. The adjustable oiler is a nice feature though I set it to max and left it there. I have found the air filter stays pretty clean even after a few hrs of cutting. I didn't like the fact that you need a screw driver to access it but honestly it hasn't been a big deal yet. I carry the screwnch around anyway for the bar nuts.

If you don't need to run a bar bigger than 20" and want a little more power than a 50cc saw, I still think this saw is a good choice.

My dad just bought a 362 with the long (25"?) bar. I got to run it over Christmas with my brother on his 460 (same long bar). 25" is kind of long for the 362, but it seemed to handle it pretty well. Seemed to have good power, throttle response, real smooth.

The weight got to me, though... I'd rather run an 026 + 16" bar for the little stuff. I'm a wimp, I know... :msp_unsure:

good saw\

i got the 362 and i liked it i cut like 8 cords so far had it less then a 4 weeks
get it

What bothers me about the new Stihls are (ok I'm a Husky head so take it for what it is)

MS200->MS201 The almighty 200 finally got replaced.... with a more plastic saw with inferior build quality imo.
that little spring which attaches to the (plastic) handle bar and the saw body can jump away any time (seen on field)
maybe not the best way to get rid of the vibes that were the 200's only problem. Seems to rev slower to, better on fuel though.

MS260->MS261 I think this is the best upgrade in the Stihl line recently. AV + filtration got a very welcome upgrade and is
now on Husky level. Power seems very good. But it is quite heavy. We will see what the 550xp weighs, definately less.

MS361->MS362 The 361 cured cancer people said. It was THE Stihl saw. The 362 is probably a very good chainsaw.
It just suffers from the reputation of the 361. It got heavier as well.

MS241 : Very popular saw range in Sweden for thinning. But the heated version weighs 4,9kg, as did the MS260 with
0,5 hp more power .... The now very old 242xp had more power and less weight than the 241 and that was 20? years ago!

In short, 201, 241, 261, 362 are probably all very good saws. I just don't find them attaractive enough and I think Stihl should have
done better with all the years of development between the 260 and 261 for example. Further, they all suffer from the pos flippy caps.
That is a reason as good as any to consider other saws.

I really like the 560xp. Power to weight is on the good old level again, probably the best ever for a 60cc ?
I really think the 550 and 543 which are about to be released will have the edge over the 261 and 241.

To the guy that created the thread: Buy the 562xp. Look at the German forum, they are totally overwhelmed with
the 560/562, noone talks 362 there.

Last edited:
It just seems to me Husky is coming out with a new saw every few weeks just to cover their tracks on what they did wrong and get talk away from it. Recalls anyone? No rev boost? And I was looking at another thread that had a 562xp and a MS362 fully loaded ready to cut and the MS362 weighed 17.1lbs and the 562xp weighed in at 18lbs.... http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/189113-4.htm .....page 4 has the 562 and pg 6 the 362. So why does anyone still talk about all this weight the MS362 has and nothing about the weight of the 562xp? And really what does it matter? It only bugs me because it the ONLY real thing people pick on this saw for.

You guys get it. Why can't some other people?

The 362's fuel capacity is 2.9 oz less than the 361. That figures out to be around 2 oz less wet weight for the 362 power head only, bringing the difference in working weight to just about 10 ounces. So, yes the 361 is lighter but not by much. I am using Stihl's stated measurements and weights for this. If that slight difference in weight is really all that matters to someone they shouldn't even be handling a chainsaw.

The advantages of the 362 outweigh that of the 361(pun intended). The .2 increase in hp, better AV, better filtration, better fuel mileage of the 362 make the slight weight increase a non issue. Again, you will not notice the weight difference in day to day working. You will notice the difference in power and AV as well as the gas sipping of the 362. Pulling the 20" RSF I can cut 1/2 cord of wood before needing to refuel. The 361 I had would get a bit over 1/3 cord before needing fuel and it has the bigger tank! That right there should end the debate but it won't.

The power gain only is over the US MS361 version, not the others - it simply isn't there in most of the world! :msp_wink:

I have a 362 and a 361, and both are nice saws. There is nothing wrong with a 362 and if you want a single saw, made by Stihl, then go for it. It's a little heavier and a little stronger than the 361, and if I could only have one, it would be a 361. But given the option of the 562, that would be the choice. PHO, dry, which is the only way to compare apples to apples, the 562 is lighter by about a pound. It is also a very compact saw, especially when viewed against the 562.

This was fairly predictable. Another STIHL thread derailed by the local Husky contingent. I'm still trying to understand why a MS362 thread was turned into a 562 thread?

The power gain only is over the US MS361 version, not the others - it simply isn't there in most of the world! :msp_wink:

Perhaps not BUUUT the OP and 98% of those on this site are in the USA so this is something that matters to some on this side of the pond.

This was fairly predictable. Another STIHL thread derailed by the local Husky contingent. I'm still trying to understand why a MS362 thread was turned into a 562 thread?

I've wondered that as well. Seems to be an AS theme. Go to a 562xp thread and they bash the MS362 there too without a reason.

I've wondered that as well. Seems to be an AS theme. Go to a 562xp thread and they bash the MS362 there too without a reason.

...and maybe I just don't see it, but I don't see the Stihl folks doing the same. Me I like Stihl, I have nothing against Husky, even own a blower from them, it works good enough for a boz-store item. Run what you like, and if you can't offer helpful information to the OP''s question why bother at all.

dw

MS260->MS261 I think this is the best upgrade in the Stihl line recently. AV + filtration got a very welcome upgrade and is
now on Husky level. Power seems very good. But it is quite heavy. We will see what the 550xp weighs, definately less.

heavy!?!? Compared to what? For the weight those 261's will rip through wood..

By the way I just purchased a 362 and unless you are dropping massive trees all day long I can't see any reason to own a bigger saw. Especially if your busting up firewood.

MS200->MS201 The almighty 200 finally got replaced.... with a more plastic saw with inferior build quality imo.
that little spring which attaches to the (plastic) handle bar and the saw body can jump away any time (seen on field)
maybe not the best way to get rid of the vibes that were the 200's only problem. Seems to rev slower to, better on fuel though.
In no way is the 201T more plasticy than the 200T. What part are you referring to? Those rubber buffers were one of the weakest links of the 200T. The spring is a more durable upgrade. With proper tuning, throttle reponse is fine. With <1 hour work, they are measurably stronger than a 200T.

MS241 : Very popular saw range in Sweden for thinning. But the heated version weighs 4,9kg, as did the MS260 with 0,5 hp more power .... The now very old 242xp had more power and less weight than the 241 and that was 20? years ago!
The 242XP was a huge disappointment to me. I had a nice one and sold it right away.

Further, they all suffer from the pos flippy caps.
That is a reason as good as any to consider other saws.
There was a pole on the flippy caps, and your opinion is in the minority.

Now don't get sore because I singled you out. I liked your itemized response, and just thought I'd give another perspective to it:cheers:

I love those stupid flippy caps... Unless you're tossing your saw against trees all day I can't see what's so bad about them...

Back