ms 362 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My 362 stopped running a while back and wont start. Put in a new plug and fresh fuel, but still nothing.
Took it to the dealer today and they said the ignition module is bad.
They wanted 130 bucks for the module and 150 to install, making it a 300 dollar repair.
How hard is it to change out the ignition module? He said it would need to be gaped as well.
No way am I handing over 300 bucks on a saw that already cost me 600 bucks and only has about 40 hours on it.
Seems odd that it would go out so soon on a pro saw. I've been running sthil saw for years with zero issues.
Can I get parts cheaper somewhere else?

If you think you're annoyed with these guys now, just wait until you find it how simple it can be.
You'll need a t-27 torx driver, a flathead screwdriver, maybe a pair of needle nose pliers, and one of those yellow tags like the ones they tie to mowers at the service shop. They're the right thickness for gapping the coil when you install it.
The only challenge you may have is feeding the new spark plug wire through and into place.
Once you get the recoil cover off you should be able to see what you need to do.

If you think you're annoyed with these guys now, just wait until you find it how simple it can be.
You'll need a t-27 torx driver, a flathead screwdriver, maybe a pair of needle nose pliers, and one of those yellow tags like the ones they tie to mowers at the service shop. They're the right thickness for gapping the coil when you install it.
The only challenge you may have is feeding the new spark plug wire through and into place.
Once you get the recoil cover off you should be able to see what you need to do.

They did diagnose it for free, I gotta give them that. They wanted to charge me 60 bucks to look at it but since I waited on it they did it for free. That's assuming that is the problem. I would hate to buy an expensive part and find out that wasn't it.

150 bucks to change the coil???????!!!!!!! Its leterally a 15 min job and thats taking your time blowing out the chassis cylinder and area around coil. Is it mtronic or standard carb? It should have 2 but maybe 3 screws tops unscrew the coil wire install wire in new coil install coil screws while its gapped properly put cover on and cut wood. You can check for spark yourself too if you want to check there diagnosis (i would). Very easy repair and i wouldnt be able to bite my tound from chewing them a new ass for wanting to charge 150 labor. That is straight up stealing. Shops run on book time and i bet the tech gets paid on maybe .35hr or .5 at the max. Guaranteed not over 1 hr shop labor (booktime) anymore then book time is theft to me.

150 bucks to change the coil???????!!!!!!! Its leterally a 15 min job and thats taking your time blowing out the chassis cylinder and area around coil. Is it mtronic or standard carb? It should have 2 but maybe 3 screws tops unscrew the coil wire install wire in new coil install coil screws while its gapped properly put cover on and cut wood. You can check for spark yourself too if you want to check there diagnosis (i would). Very easy repair and i wouldnt be able to bite my tound from chewing them a new ass for wanting to charge 150 labor. That is straight up stealing. Shops run on book time and i bet the tech gets paid on maybe .35hr or .5 at the max. Guaranteed not over 1 hr shop labor (booktime) anymore then book time is theft to me.

He said the book price was 150 per hour. I though damn!!!! And yes I will be double checking the spark before I do anything.

No way in hell stihls book time could possibly be 1 hr to change a ignition module. 150 a hour is more then the shop i work for charges for working on semis. I have to imagine at 150 per hour pretty much every saw that comes through isnt worth fixing. 150 per hour is unheard of even in the custom/performance world of anything/any piece of equipment in shop. Some can get 150 a hour on mobil repairs but not applicable here. I sure hope you have other options of shops to use because that is highway robbery. After a virgin saw tech changes it is 30 min not even trying its likely that same guy/customer will put the old parts through there front door/window.

Is your saw MTronic or standard? MTronic saws don't have carb adjustment access holes in the engine shroud if you aren't certain. If your saw is MTronic, the controller (coil) and all the MTronic parts have a 2 year Federal emissions warranty. If it is a standard -362, the coil has the same warranty as the rest of the saw. $150 to change out a controller or coil is a bit stiff. The labor rate at my (not mine, but where I work) shop is $89/hour. This may seem excessive in Wasilla Alaska, but just outside Washington DC real estate is spendy. I am a Gold Stihl tech and I'd charge 0.4 or 0.5 to swap a controller or coil. It just isn't tough. Before you buy the part, be certain that the saw really does have no spark, and that it is the coil- not the shutoff switch or wires. Whether this is a standard -362 or an MTronic, the coil/controller is a plug and play repair. Set the gap, screw it down, hook up the wires, and go!

We would charge maybe $35.00 if you did not buy the saw from us and it may take 1/2 hour if it is m tronic

Wow lol your labor rate is close to ours. We would charge about $40 to install the module. Not being a licensed Stihl dealer i cannot tell you what their book rate is or isnt...but i've been doing this for a living for 16 years and havnt see an 034+ series unit require too much labor to replace an ignition module.

Dont be affraid to tackle this repair - a youtube search should give you a general idea of how it is done and any technical details needed i am sure guys here will be happy to assist.

Thanks 1alpha1: That's about as simple as it gets. For those that asked, it's not a m-trinic. I have plenty of options since there are stihl dealers all over my area. I can tell you I will never even consider using them again and I will be giving the manager a call tomorrow.
I'll check it tomorrow and make sure thats the issue, I only stopped there because I was in there area at the time. I will be buying parts elsewhere.

DIY, even a clueless newbie like myself was successful with a couple of chainsaws. You can unscrew the wire to the spark plug from the coil, which was a surprise to me. It is that simple!
Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong ... just a roookie, but the part number looks like "1140 400 1302" for non-M-tronic. SawAgain (don't know who they are) has it for $89+shipping, ebay apapears to have aftermanrket for around $55 ... not sure if its any good. Good luck!

Please pay attention: The number in the post above can be the right part number, but depending on your exact version and age of your chain saw it can also be the wrong one. Please tell us more about your saw (built year, serial number, exact version etc). There are different revisions on the market over the years and not all parts are compatible.

Its unforfunate but many of the aftermarket coils are no good. If they work they dont work for long. I have 2 that fit my jonny 6xx series saws that have been great for about 3 or 4 years. They were bought in a lot of 10 coils all the same coil from wangalo sp? On ebay for i think $5.00 each. Of the 10 i got 1 have had 3 bad ones sofar. 1 or 2 would work then die no spark. Let em sit rinse and repeat. The other one had a just violent timing curve. Ripping the rope out of your hand, actually started getting detonation pits on the piston because it advanced so far internally. Now i setup a timing light with a mark on the flywheel to varify that some cheap coil from some cheap tuneup kit from amazon dropped off with the ope they got here for repair actually works properly. Sorry for the long winded reply but wanted to get as much info to make you decision. Also you can buy used oem coils. Not sure if i would with a mtronic though.

Somewhat off subject, but here goes.....
Stihl, like all manufacturers, does not have a "book time" for repairs. A dealer is free to charge whatever they want to do a particular job. This is why the range is from very reasonably to outrageous. A dealer is hopefully going to charge reasonably, but there are always exceptions.
What Stihl does have is their posted labor times for warranty repairs. This is what Stihl will pay in minutes for a particular repair. Every dealer has a posted shop labor rate on file with Stihl- this is how they figure out reimbursement. There are other incentives that Stihl may pay a dealer- the dealer that I work for has a Gold-level Stihl tech (me) that costs them quite a bit more to employ than someone who has no skills or certifications. Stihl rewards my dealership with a higher reimbursement rate on parts used on warranty repairs. This parts reimbursement adjustment affects how we repair units with major failures. Because of our relatively high labor rate and out higher-than-average parts pay scale, sometimes it is more economical for Stihl to replace a unit or accessory than to repair it. Manufacturer's warranty policies vary widely from one company to another.
Stihl is a fantastic company to deal with as a technician. The branch (distributor) that we work with is Mid-Atlantic Stihl and their tech reps are superb. Several have been there for 20+ years and really know their stuff! There are excellent tech publications available, great computer-based training, and real live people to answer questions. There is no excuse for a dealer not to have all the info they need to do proper service.

Back