ms 390 ms 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good running 290/390 is a good working saw; however, if you plan on doing your own repairs, etc on these saws, you need to know they are a true pain to take apart and reassemble, compared to the ease of working on the 260/360/361, etc series of saws. For some reason, the 290/390 series seem to go through a lot fuel hoses; and, unless you are a magician, it requires a complete take down of the saw to replace these buggers. Its a simple process on the pro series saws.

Soooooooo the question is: Are you going to just use these saws? If so the the 290/390 are cheaper to purchase and are nice saws when working properly. But, if you like a saw that's even nicer to operate and easy to maintain/repair, then I think the 361 is worth the extra bucks.:cheers:

I believe Andy was saying sunlight is the cause of the fuel line issues with the 290/310/390 series saws. I believe he said there was a newer fuel line that helped resolve this issue. However changing a fuel line on these saws is no harder/time consuming than changing them on a pro saw.

For some reason, the 290/390 series seem to go through a lot fuel hoses; and, unless you are a magician, it requires a complete take down of the saw to replace these buggers. Its a simple process on the pro series saws.

HUH? about 2 minutes, or five if the phone rings... ;)

Yes... it's technique sensitive.... and practice makes perfect, but it is really simple. Pop the carb off, rip out the old hose, oil the grommet, insert in hole pull gently from the bottom with big hemostats.. poke a little from the top if it's reluctant to "pop" in.

+20!!!!!!!! It just kills me how people bash these saws. They cut just like anything else. For their purpose they are great. Not a pro saw, but if you want a pro saw why buy a mid range??? :dizzy:

+21

a weekend warrior here but i have had a muff mod 039 for bout 15 yrs. its been through hello and back and is like the energizer bunny. second piston/rings in it. when there is a "nasty rough tough job" its my go to saw because i only have bout 100bux in it and the loss would be small. it gets used very much and is the loaner saw also.
i have never used a 360/1 so i cant compare, but i think the 290/390 saws are under rated/valued by many.

HUH? about 2 minutes, or five if the phone rings... ;)

Yes... it's technique sensitive.... and practice makes perfect, but it is really simple. Pop the carb off, rip out the old hose, oil the grommet, insert in hole pull gently from the bottom with big hemostats.. poke a little from the top if it's reluctant to "pop" in.

OK Andy, you make me sound slow; but, take a look at this one that I got yesterday from a local rancher. That's mud dobber nests you see all around the carb. Now even after its removed you can't see the fuel hose going down into the tank; but, you and I know where it is and how to get it in there; I think most will tear the cover off to replace the hose. By contrast, look at this old 038 that I got from the same rancher, the fuel hose is completely gone, but it will be a snap to replace it compared to the 029.

Last edited:
I have owned both a 390 and a 361. All I can say is if you buy the 390 you will be very happy with the saw as long as you never pick up a 361 and cut with.

I am leaning to getting the ms390 with a few more cc and doing mod work a step at a time--but looking around i don't see any one messing with a ms390 is it that it can't take much mod work with out destruction?

290/310/390 are very easy to mod. Hell, I'm a software developer and I was able to modify my 310. Just do a quick search on this site and you will come up with TONS of reading material.

Well, if I had to do it all over again, and I were to choose between the 390 and 361 (as I did, and bought the 390) I would have bought a 440!!!!
Not what you wanted to hear, but I stress buying a saw one size bigger than what you think you need.

I started out with an 028 and told myself I should've bought a 290/310/390. Then I went ahead and bought the 310. I then told myself I should've bought an 044. I went ahead and bought that too :)

More like "under-rated/valued by the few that affects the many":cheers:

The price is just too close to the much better 361, but I even avoided it when it was on sale for about MS250/Husky 345 campaign price here as well - it just felt all wrong when picking it up......:censored:

Last edited:
When I removed the muffler from the 029 that had the mud dobber's nest in the air filter, I noticed something under the dirt. This bar code label is still intact, indicating little use in the woods. But it has had lots of abuse in barn storage. Piston and cylinder look great. I'm optimistic about getting it in good shape and running again.

This is the kind of stuff I get for repairs, once local rancher hear that I work on Stihl chainsaws as a hobby and don't charge a fee :chainsaw:

Where is the stickey?

The 390 vs 361 threads are many. I know, becasue I started one here over a year ago asking the same question...

I got the 361. Had a 290 already. Comparing them? Apples to pears. 290 is still a good saw. Baby brother to the 390. Same chassis. But I use it less now. 361 is less vibe prone on the hands. More metal, better plastic. Easier to work with and easier to use and work on. Runs 3/8 bars from 16 inch through 25 inch no problem. May want full skip on the 25 inch bar on a 390.

If I had it all over to do again, I would have gone down and bought a new 361 with a 3/4 wrap and a 25 inch bar from the dealer, as soon as I started looking at them. They have gone up in price 2x since then. And buying a used chainsaw is not what I would advise, especially on Ebay. Too risky, and too prone to problems. And you have to bid and barter and wait.

My 2 cents worth... BTDT. BTW... Gary, what OIL should he use on the 390, vs the 361? :)

When I removed the muffler from the 029 that had the mud dobber's nest in the air filter, I noticed something under the dirt. This bar code label is still intact, indicating little use in the woods. But it has had lots of abuse in barn storage. Piston and cylinder look great. I'm optimistic about getting it in good shape and running again.

This is the kind of stuff I get for repairs, once local rancher hear that I work on Stihl chainsaws as a hobby and don't charge a fee :chainsaw:

Tex your really working on alot of old 029's lately. Shall I put aside some more pan bolts for you? LOL, just messing with ya. For a guy your age and to be rebuilding 029's I'd say thats quite a statement. Your correct about the fuel lines, its the first thing to go on those saws. Just alittle practice though they aren't hard to put in. My biggest gripe about is the saw always comes in full of fuel when they bring them in and ya have to dump it out to retrive the filter after you yank the hose out. Other than that though its a fairly simple task like Lake said. I got a bunch of bolts laying around, if ya need any just holler..

I believe the 290/390s belong in a dumpster, if you have one handy - they ARE NOT nice saws......:greenchainsaw:

Spare us Sawtroll. Your credibility just saying that puts you in the same boat as RED, how fitting, for long you two will be sharing the same bed,LOLOL

I probably shouldn't be responding on this thread cause I don't have a 390 BUT I do have a 361 (based on info gathered here) and it's a GREAT saw.

I do, however , have an old "homeowner grade " 029s that just keep ticking along, no matter how much it is abused.

Spare us Sawtroll. Your credibility just saying that puts you in the same boat as RED, how fitting, for long you two will be sharing the same bed,LOLOL

Well, being a Stihl dealer, you just have to defend that junk - I picked a 390 up once when they tried to give them away here (Ouuucch), and that was enough.......

:cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
I hate to tell you ST...but I know people with 029's that survived cutting more wood than your whole arsenal combined. You can say all you want about them being heavy, lots of vibes, etc, but you have yet to come up with a valid argument disputing their durability, reliability, and longevity. Combine these with a fair price and its not suprising why it is a good selling chainsaw for stihl.

Latest posts

Back