MS 441....Are they panning out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just imagine if John Deere had stuck with the old 2 cylinder engines that defined them as Poppin Johnnies! As a matter of fact they were obsolete and antiquated long before the were out of production

the john deere 2 cylinder engine was the best engine and style of tractor every made period. they have unbelivele amount of torqure and pulling power. they are simple to work on you dont have to split the tractor to work on thing it is all on the out side. when the new tractors are broke down all the farmers call me to bring my 2 cylinders over to get the job done.
THE GREATEST TRACTOR EVER MADE poppin johns

sorry for the off topic i think they are both good saws i think the 441 will pan out

Last edited:
husky may well have pioneered the av & air injection,but perfected it. The 441 is proof of that,as will be the 362&261 that will be here this fall!!

Believe what you want, it won't be true anyway, on this issue! :givebeer:

The true story as I know it by now (there still are loose ends) is that it is a 1960s design that was never patented and soon forgotten, and "reinvented" by Partner in the mid-late 1980s. It was perfected (by adding the "duct") around 1989/90 (in time for the then new 262xp) - but I am not sure if it was Partner, Jonsered or Husky who did that (I suspect Jonsered, but can't really prove it).

Stihl just copied it, eventually....

Last edited:
the john deere 2 cylinder engine was the best engine and style of tractor every made period. they have unbelivele amount of torqure and pulling power. they are simple to work on you dont have to split the tractor to work on thing it is all on the out side. when the new tractors are broke down all the farmers call me to bring my 2 cylinders over to get the job done.

sorry for the off topic i think they are both good saws i think the 441 will pan out

Wow! Seems quite odd that JD would discontinue such a marvel of modern engineering. I happen to think that any tractor that you can start with out having to spin a flywheel has got to be a substantial improvement! I've crank started a WD and it's as easy as falling off a log! I might mention that other tractors of that time were so much smoother and quieter. As far as the style, well that is your opinion. I have seen many farm stock/antique pulls and as far as brute torque, nothing has had a leg up on the old Minnie Moe's/Twin City machines.
If you had said that....oh I don't know.....that the 42/4430's were the best think ever to wear green and yellow I might have 1up'ed you. 30 series Deeres are usually the most sought after on any farm.
I still think the old 2 bangers were antiques at production though! JJ

Believe what you want, it won't be true anyway, on this issue! :givebeer:

The true story as I know it by now (there still are loose ends) is that it is a 1960s design that was never patented and soon forgotten, and "reinvented" by Partner in the mid-late 1980s. It was perfected (by adding the "duct") around 1989/90 (in time for the then new 262xp) - but I am not sure if it was Partner, Jonsered or Husky who did that (I suspect Jonsered, but can't really prove it).

Stihl just copied it, eventually....

Sawtroll speaking of copying I bet Husky would like to copy this:

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va.)–The American Brands Council has recognized STIHL as one of America’s greatest brands. The iconic outdoor power equipment manufacturer will be featured in the 2009 edition of America’s Greatest Brands, a hard cover coffee table book recognizing some of the strongest and most trusted business brands in the United States.

Currently in its seventh edition, America's Greatest Brands features leading companies from a brand marketing perspective. The book explores the history behind the top brands and highlights their innovations and accomplishments. America’s Greatest Brands offers insight from the highly respected marketing and communication professionals that comprise the American Brands Council.

Each company is featured in a two-page spread. Among brands recognized in this year’s book include Campbell’s Soup, the National Football League (NFL) and Xerox.

“We are honored to receive this recognition from the American Brands Council,” said Peter Burton, vice president of sales and marketing at STIHL Inc. “The entire STIHL team – from employees and our twelve U.S. distributors to our hardworking servicing dealers – is dedicated to the success of the STIHL brand, and it is thanks to their commitment to excellence that the brand continues to be one of the leaders in the industry.”

If Sawtroll is right one the money and everyone else can agree that the 441 has many features in common with the newer Husqvarna saws then your argument about Stihl not modernizing their saws or opposing progress as you put it, dose not hold water. This didn't have to be a Stihl v.s. Husky debate, the question I asked was weather or not the 441 had been a success and how it stacked up against the 460. I never mentioned Husky in there anywhere. THERE IS NO HUSKY DEALERS NEAR ME! They are not an option in my mind if I have to drive to Timbucktoo just to get one or parts for one. JJ

I think my comments are quite accurate. Husky has many years of experience with strato engine saws under its belt.

The comparison of 70cc saws will not gain any credibility until it is measures against the king of all 70cc saws. "drum role: XP372 or 576XP. When you have to compare Stihl's new saw to an older model the comparison fails.
ZG

Last edited:
i am big fan of the 441, and i think they have proven themselves well. Stihl got it right with the 441 and i am excited for the strato replacements for the 90+ cc saws.

When the 441 first came out, everyone got all bent out of shape b/c older strato designs with reed valves didn't fair well. Stihl resolved this issue with direct porting, but the quick, uninformed opinions seemed to persist. People whom never ran the saw also thought it was too heavy, underpowered, too hard to work on and couldn't be modified.

The 441 is underpowered...really? Maybe to those who have not run one... I have posted plenty of video running the 441 against modified and stock 440's, 460's and 660's. With a 24" bar, you cannot tell a lick of difference in cuts times. You have to max out the saw with the 32" bar before you get a significant difference in cutting times. Again, this is 32" of bar fully buried in hardwood. My opinion, if you are cutting that big, then you should be using a 90 or 120cc saw anyways. The 441 holds its own on power. And, it does so with less fuel, meaning the 441 is putting out more power per unit of fuel, which in and of itself is a great improvement in saw technology (and fuel and oil savings).

The 441 is too heavy...really? This ain't no limbing saw. Big saws are heavy. We are debating a few ounces here. Man up and get over it...

The 441 is too hard to work on... Really? Check this thread; several dealers and techs have made comments to this effect. This argument just doesn't hold up.

The 441 doesn't take to mods...really? Did you try? Check out slinger's video. The 441 takes well to mods. Several others (peacock, slamm, etc.) have done the same and have noticed improvements. This argument doesn't hold water.

Is the 441 better than the 440? 460? In stock form, absolutely. Can you put a bb kit on a 440/460 and have an incredible power to weight ratio? Absolutely. Is that better than the 441? Depends on how you are gauging 'better'. Will the bb's cut faster? Yup. Can you cut more than one tree per tank of fuel? Nope. Does a second or two in the cut make up for the extra time not cutting b/c you are refilling the saw? Walking to and from the truck? Av gas and sythetic aren't cheap. Many arborists go through 5 gallons of mix a day. Is fuel efficiency important? You bet. Sure, you may cut a million board feet faster per saw, but by the job you will be far behind in time and money. I am not so sure the 441 was meant to be compared against the 440 - they are two different animals.

The reason for the introduction of 441 may be ambiguous, though there are many specious arguments out there. The venerable 044/440 was arguably stihl's best saw, so it was the best saw for introducing and gaining acceptance of stihl's new engine technology. Putting the future of the company in an obscure or unpopular saw is suicide for that company. Why change a good thing? Epa, eu, carbon footprint, clean air, tree huggers....doesn't matter. Technology will always improve. The new strato engines put out the same power as old engines with less fuel - it's more efficient. That's the direction of progress. It's what we do when gain knowledge - we apply it. It doesn't matter if its cars, computers, cell phones or chainsaws.

What was the 441 designed to do? What is its purpose? My conjecture is it was to produce a saw with 1) reduced emissions 2) increased fuel economy 3) maintain the same power and torque 4) reduced vibrationa 5) reliability. Does the 441 have reduced emission (aka, air you are breathing while the saw is running)? Yep. Does it have the same power and grunt as older generation saws? Yep. Does it do more with less fuel? Yep. Is it reliable? Yep. Is it a smooth running saw? Yep. Can those who like to tinker and play still make the saw perform faster? Yep.

Sounds to me like stihl got it right. Imo, yes, they are panning out.

awesome write up,couldn't agree more!!!!! Hey troll did you read this????

if sawtroll is right one the money and everyone else can agree that the 441 has many features in common with the newer husqvarna saws then your argument about stihl not modernizing their saws or opposing progress as you put it, dose not hold water. This didn't have to be a stihl v.s. Husky debate, the question i asked was weather or not the 441 had been a success and how it stacked up against the 460. I never mentioned husky in there anywhere. There is no husky dealers near me! They are not an option in my mind if i have to drive to timbucktoo just to get one or parts for one. Jj

jjuday,you will not get gerald at haydens to sell you a 441,i think he would rather sell you a 460 at cost and lose money,than sell a 441. For some reason he does not like them,he deosn't even own one. He runs a 361&460,& thinks the old school way,is the only way. I think this year at saw dust days he change his mind when they demo the 261,362,441 all together. These new designs are the way of things to come from stihl. I think the new saws will be the best yet from stihl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.s. I have run many stock 441's along with my stock 460, same b&c. The average wood cutter would be hard pressed to see the difference. If a 441 is cheaper to purchase & operate,i would think the choice would be obvious. I know when i replace my 460,it will most likely be a 441.

I think my comments are quite accurate. Husky has many years of experience with strato engine saws under its belt.

The comparison of 70cc saws will not gain any credibility until it is measures against the king of all 70cc saws. "drum role: XP372 or 576XP. When you have to compare Stihl's new saw to an older model the comparison fails.
ZG

Many years with strato?:dizzy: LOL, more like they bought Redmax for that very reason among others.

The king of all 70cc saws? 372? Really???:dizzy: The 372 is old, just like the 440 and 460. The new saws are the 576 and 441. Everyone knows the 70cc king is the MS440.:clap: The 441 is just as good imo, I use 'em both.

:agree2::agree2:

Removing a Cab and splitting a tractor to get at a dadgum leaky seal is ridiculous!

JD lost thier soul and minds when they went with all Jap Tractors below 100hp.

In 30 years lets see how many Green Yanmars are still pulling compared to the old A's and B's.:cheers:

I reckon the new Stratos' will be fine in 20 years after all the bugs are out and folks have tinkered them to perfection. Untill then, I'll keep with my Luddite habits and old school saws.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

jjuday,you will not get gerald at haydens to sell you a 441,i think he would rather sell you a 460 at cost and lose money,than sell a 441. For some reason he does not like them,he deosn't even own one. He runs a 361&460,& thinks the old school way,is the only way. I think this year at saw dust days he change his mind when they demo the 261,362,441 all together. These new designs are the way of things to come from stihl. I think the new saws will be the best yet from stihl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.s. I have run many stock 441's along with my stock 460, same b&c. The average wood cutter would be hard pressed to see the difference. If a 441 is cheaper to purchase & operate,i would think the choice would be obvious. I know when i replace my 460,it will most likely be a 441.

I guess for now we will have to wait till Sawdust days in October to find out the rest of that story. Gerald was the one who told me about the air cover clips on the 441, but when I asked if he had anyone come back for more he never gave me a straight answer! Yes, he mentioned his 361&460. I asked about the 261/362/461 saws and he wouldn't allude to much on those models but said that he was pretty sure that those were going to be the demo saws that they would have in October. Maybe I should just wait and see what the supposed 461 can bring to the table.
Are you going to attend Sawdust days? Where do you live in NIN? Well I hope to see you there. JJ

:agree2::agree2:

Removing a Cab and splitting a tractor to get at a dadgum leaky seal is ridiculous!

JD lost thier soul and minds when they went with all Jap Tractors below 100hp.

In 30 years lets see how many Green Yanmars are still pulling compared to the old A's and B's.:cheers:

I reckon the new Stratos' will be fine in 20 years after all the bugs are out and folks have tinkered them to perfection. Untill then, I'll keep with my Luddite habits and old school saws.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sorry guy, but Deere and Co. lost their minds and souls many years before a partnership with Yanmar. Besides, how much do you want to end up paying for a 50h.p. utility tractor? The reason every manufacturer teamed up with Asian tractor companies was to keep cost low and still provide a good product. You mean to tell me that you would sooner buy a 1010-2010 than to buy one of the newer Yanmar/JD tractors of the same size? Yanmar diesels are bullet proof, and people who have the Yanmar/JD tractors seem to really like them.
Oh and speaking of Deere I heard that my local dealer has got their first shipment of Stihl power equipment.
I think Stihl should have researched Deere's histroy before the partnership....especially the old Wagner/JD partnership. They may have changed their minds. JJ

Sorry guy, but Deere and Co. lost their minds and souls many years before a partnership with Yanmar. Besides, how much do you want to end up paying for a 50h.p. utility tractor? The reason every manufacturer teamed up with Asian tractor companies was to keep cost low and still provide a good product. You mean to tell me that you would sooner buy a 1010-2010 than to buy one of the newer Yanmar/JD tractors of the same size? Yanmar diesels are bullet proof, and people who have the Yanmar/JD tractors seem to really like them.
Oh and speaking of Deere I heard that my local dealer has got their first shipment of Stihl power equipment.
I think Stihl should have researched Deere's histroy before the partnership....especially the old Wagner/JD partnership. They may have changed their minds. JJ

The John Deere relationship is terrible. I sent my Wife to grab a six pack of Ultra. I even wrote down what i wanted so she could hand it to teh guy at the counter. I wrote, "Stihl Ultra full synthetic".....he gave her a six pack of the Stihl dino oil. retards at that dealership far as I'm concerned. They also don't service the saws they sell

The John Deere relationship is terrible. I sent my Wife to grab a six pack of Ultra. I even wrote down what i wanted so she could hand it to teh guy at the counter. I wrote, "Stihl Ultra full synthetic".....he gave her a six pack of the Stihl dino oil. retards at that dealership far as I'm concerned. They also don't service the saws they sell

Mrs. FATGUY won't go anywhere near a saw dealership. How'd you pull that one off?

Latest posts

Back