MS 460 Hard Starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacerX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My MS 460 is very hard to start. In the full choke position it won't kick over not even once. The only way to actually get it started is my using no choke, fully depressing the throttle and pulling until your arm falls off. I had it into a shop and they adjusted the carb but it still doesn't start as it should on a few pulls. The mechanic said after the adjustment it started just fine. When I picked it up he tried to start it but it wouldn't start, he took out the plug (brand new) cleaned it and then it started with some effort. He told me to try it and that if it's still hard to start that it may need a new carb. Does this sound correct?

you can try this,,, put it on full choke and pull only 2 times then go to half choke and see if it won't start easier,,sounds like you are flooding it out

+1 08f150 some stihls can be very easy to flood....my fiances grandpa has a 361 and he swore it needed some work done to make it start right,,i grabbed it put it on choke pulled it a couple times moved it to fast idle and away it went... if anything try turning the L jet couterclockwise a hair:rock:

if saws got some hours on it ,crank seals or main bearings may be wearing out ,the seals will harden up creating a vacuum leak ,and be hard to start ,i had a 044 with same symptoms ,pulled the flywheel poked the seal with a screwdriver it cracked ,if seals are bad may as well put new main bearings in at same time ,they are probly gettng notchy feeling if been sucking air ,i replaced bearings and seals now my saw starts cold 2-3 pulls

I would put a carb kit in before buying a new carb. Unless it is damaged why would you need to replace it?

Start with a carb kit. Your symptoms sound like the carb simply isn't pumping fuel. If a carb needs a kit then adjustments really aren't
going to help much. The diaphragms in modern carburetors really take a beating with exposure to gas containing ethanol. It could also
be the fuel line/fuel filter. The tank vents on these don't really go bad but they can get plugged up with fine sawdust.

If the carb kit doesn't help, then you likely have an air leak. But I'd start with rebuilding the carb.

Thanks for all of the reply's. Who makes the best carb kit? I see a lot of places advertising Walbro.

if saws got some hours on it ,crank seals or main bearings may be wearing out ,the seals will harden up creating a vacuum leak ,and be hard to start ,i had a 044 with same symptoms ,pulled the flywheel poked the seal with a screwdriver it cracked ,if seals are bad may as well put new main bearings in at same time ,they are probly gettng notchy feeling if been sucking air ,i replaced bearings and seals now my saw starts cold 2-3 pulls

What he said, pressure Vac test the saw.

you can try this,,, put it on full choke and pull only 2 times then go to half choke and see if it won't start easier,,sounds like you are flooding it out

Thanks..
Mine was flooding also..
Starts good now with the 2 pull, half choke technique..
Cheers..

I'm agreeing with Jacob on this - carb kit. However, until you get the new kit, you can try something that has worked for me MANY times.......

Sounds like you're starving for fuel since you can't start without full throttle, even when choked. And the carb was just tuned properly. That tells me to clean the carb screen. Pull the bottom cover off the carb (the cover with the single large screw) and remove the diaphragm and gasket. Pull the small screen out carefully as to not rip it. Hold it up to a light to see how clogged it is. Blast it out with some ether and wipe it clean. Reinstall. Should help. Then eventually do a whole carb kit. But the screen cleaning will only take 5-10 minutes for now.

Back