MS 461, MS 660, or MS 661 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d-marr

d-marr

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm in need of a bit of advice. I am going to be getting a new saw in a little bit here and not sure which model to get. It will be used for personal use cutting firewood (nothing bigger than 24" or so), and on my job sites. We get into quite a bit of larger tree work and regularly need something bigger that the MS 361's with 20" bars. I just lost one of our guys who had and used his own 660 with a 25" and a 32" bar. I will gladly replace it, but I am a bit older than he is and I am not sure I want to lug around a 660 all day. The other dilemma I am faced with is that my local dealer is willing to give me a really good deal on a MS 661 with both bars and chains, so it isn't much more than a 461. We can get into taking down 36" hardwood and then flush cutting the stump so the 660 is great for that, and I am not sure that the 461 will be quite as good. What do you think, and thanks for any advice.

user 122190
Weight shouldn't be a big factor for the PHO. Bigger saws run bigger bars with longer chains and therefore are heavier. Here in the North West a 460/461 is plenty of saw for the softwoods that are available. Even my Husky 460 (60cc) saw has cut 40" White Pines without much difficulty. Extra power, extra cost, extra cool.

For firewood. I spend probably 10% of my time and effort cutting/bucking the logs. The rest of the time is spent moving, splitting, more moving and finally stacking. So some time saved in faster cutting of wood, maybe I'll only spend 9% of my time and effort cutting and bucking logs.

Frogfarmer

Frogfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
24" and under for firewood is 461 territory. For me the 660 class doesn't come out till Im in the 36" up range. Full comp chain for everything. A 461 with skip would likely work for 36" but I don't have enough experience to say.

Shagbark

Shagbark

ArboristSite Guru
Realistically what diameter wood will you spend 90% of your time in? Are you are going to lug a heavier thirstier saw that is only more efficient 10% of the time, all the time? Wisdom prevails my friend.

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
So I have the older versions, but cc wise the are about the same, I have an 046 and an 066. In pull a 28 inch skip on my 046,in oak and it handles it fine, I could throw a 32,or 36 on it with a skip and have plenty of saw left. My 066 is about the same way, but bigger, obviously. A for a one saw plan buy as big as you can afford. But if you want the 461 don't worry that it isn't enough saw

LRains

LRains

ArboristSite Member
If I could get a 661 for about the same price and two bars with chains I would go 661, get the light bars. You can never have enough power and when the 36" bar is needed you can make money by running it. Keep the 361 for smaller stuff.

Full Chisel

Full Chisel

Slingin' Stihls and runnin' Huskies
Would not hesitate to go with the 461 if it were me. It will pull a 28" full comp setup or 32" skip tooth no problem. They have a lot of torque. The 461 doesn't feel and handle like a "big saw" to me...the 661, not so much.

d-marr

d-marr

ArboristSite Lurker
If I could get a 661 for about the same price and two bars with chains I would go 661, get the light bars. You can never have enough power and when the 36" bar is needed you can make money by running it. Keep the 361 for smaller stuff.

This is what I am leaning towards. Picking up the 661 and at least a light bar for the 32". The 361's aren't going anywhere. We use them all the time and I like them very much, but they just aren't enough saw all the time. The new saw will replace my personal MS 390 (which I like even more than the 360's since it got it's muffler opened up), so it needs to do double duty which is where I am having the dilemma. I am trying to use the new saw as a big saw as well as a firewood saw. Oh the dificult problems we face (he said sarcastically)!

robbiet87

robbiet87

ArboristSite Member
I have a 661 with a 36 in bar and it has no problems running in hardwood. Just got a 461 but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. With that being said, I bought the 461 because I didn't feel the need to pack the bigger one around if it wasn't necessary. I think you would be happy with either, but definitely take into account the weight of both. Good luck with your new purchase!!!!

Full Chisel

Full Chisel

Slingin' Stihls and runnin' Huskies
If it were just going to be used for tree and stump removal jobs the 661 would be the obvious choice but if you are wanting to lug it around for firewood cutting too the 461 is the better choice, IMO.

Ported and piped

Ported and piped

New saw is a beast
I'm in need of a bit of advice. I am going to be getting a new saw in a little bit here and not sure which model to get. It will be used for personal use cutting firewood (nothing bigger than 24" or so), and on my job sites. We get into quite a bit of larger tree work and regularly need something bigger that the MS 361's with 20" bars. I just lost one of our guys who had and used his own 660 with a 25" and a 32" bar. I will gladly replace it, but I am a bit older than he is and I am not sure I want to lug around a 660 all day. The other dilemma I am faced with is that my local dealer is willing to give me a really good deal on a MS 661 with both bars and chains, so it isn't much more than a 461. We can get into taking down 36" hardwood and then flush cutting the stump so the 660 is great for that, and I am not sure that the 461 will be quite as good. What do you think, and thanks for any advice.
I have a question I've trying to determine whether to get the ms 661 c or the 390 xp and I know the husky are reliable but. I like both brands and seen there is a lot of problems with the 661 or has that been all worked out know ?

Latest posts