MS191t: The Most Powerful Stihl TopHandle EVER!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm suprised the guy didn't put .404 on it seeing as how it's so powerful. I do love it where he describes it as an "over the top handle saw", very clever.
John...

In terms of displacement he's right, but all of us that know something about saws know that there's more than displacement to consider, such as durability and serviceability...in that regard, the 200T winhs hands down

Here's a couple replies from the seller. BTW,what is the HP rating on the 200T and 191T.

"The MS200T is a little bit lighter than the 191 (1+lb more), and
surprisingly .3 bhp more. But the torque and stroke to me feel more
substantial in the 191. That might be why I can tell a difference
between the two, seemingly the 200 being the inferior saw. When I put
the two to wood, in my opinion, the 191 pulls better, even with the
.325 full chisel chain, while the 200T is fitted with the 3/8 picco.
They're both great saws."

"The MS200T bore is 40mm, like the 190/019. I have several of both. There is no comparison (though the 200 cost 2x more when they were both available). The 191 is like using...and I kid you not, a 290 with an over the top handle. The bore is the the same @ 46mm, and when you crank this saw, you almost need to strap that dude to the floor."

Last edited:
192T = 30cm
200T = 35cm
191T = 46cm

That makes the displacement of the 191T 31% greater than the 200T and 53% greater than the 192T. So what is the power difference in the 191T and the 200T? Was the 191T too big, heavy and powerful for a top handle saw.

Here's a couple replies from the seller. BTW,what is the HP rating on the 200T and 191T.

"The MS200T is a little bit lighter than the 191 (1+lb more), and
surprisingly .3 bhp more. But the torque and stroke to me feel more
substantial in the 191. That might be why I can tell a difference
between the two, seemingly the 200 being the inferior saw. When I put
the two to wood, in my opinion, the 191 pulls better, even with the
.325 full chisel chain, while the 200T is fitted with the 3/8 picco.
They're both great saws."

"The MS200T bore is 40mm, like the 190/019. I have several of both. There is no comparison (though the 200 cost 2x more when they were both available). The 191 is like using...and I kid you not, a 290 with an over the top handle. The bore is the the same @ 46mm, and when you crank this saw, you almost need to strap that dude to the floor."

Funny........I received a reply from this guy too!!!

The 200T is 1+lb lighter, and approx .3 more bhp, but I tell ya, when
you put the two to wood, the 191 pulls better, even with the .325 full
chisel, while the 200 is fitted with 3/8 picco. I won't deny that the
200 is a fine saw, but the 191 torque seems better stroked for its cc.
I'm not an engineer though, so what do I know.
Thx for input.

I'm pretty sure the 191t was a turd. He really wants to sell it to say all that stuff about it. If the 191t was so awesome Stihl wouldn't have needed to replace it with the 192t. My dealer has 2 on the shelf he just can't move...they just don't look or feel right, and the dealers say they are a nightmare to service

Most powerful top handle?

I had a 009 once, thought that was the most powerful "over the top handle". Thought it was MUCH better than my 200t.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Give the guy a brake, he's just trying to find one of P.T. Barnum's customers, you know, the one's that are born every minute.

I'm pretty sure the 191t was a turd. He really wants to sell it to say all that stuff about it. If the 191t was so awesome Stihl wouldn't have needed to replace it with the 192t. My dealer has 2 on the shelf he just can't move...they just don't look or feel right, and the dealers say they are a nightmare to service

I like my 191, fine. But when I bring it to the dealer to repair it, he always give me grief. It must be a nightmare to take apart.

This thread has been a good source of info about an unpopular saw. This is why I needed to get a 200t as a backup. I have whatsnext to thank for that.

I agree with your dealer... PITA..... you can't believe what you have to do just to take of the carb...

It's not bad once you done a zillion times.. but everything has to be assembled in exactly the right order.

Definitely Stihl's worst design wrt service:(

Latest posts

Back