MS211 Fish Gill Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought a MS211, wasn't going to open muffler up.......just couldn't stand it!
No doubt about it, it helped it out.

A word of warning, if you pull muffler be very, very careful when you are reinstalling it.
Muffler screws are course threaded, kind of like a self tapping
screws and they want to bite when screwing them back in. It would be very easy to cross thread them.
This muffler is made of thicker metal than most.

Exhusat comes out at about 45 deg. I cut about 15 12in cookies as fast
as I could with it, top cover didn't get as hot as before the gills. I think
Stihl knew this would be a hot (heat) running saw, it has more cooling fins
and deeper fins on cylinder than most any saw I have seen.
PICT0032.jpg

Nice and smooth port

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s116.photobucket.com/flash/remix/player.swf?videoURL=http://vid116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/Trigger-Time_photos/180%20200%20211/eddb6186.pbr&hostname=stream116.photobucket.com"></embed>

Last edited:
That's neat. I like the mod.

What type of chain is that on the saw? How do you like your 211? Good luck with it.

Nice! Anyway to make the existing port bigger so the screen could be used? I have not even taken my muff off yet to see.

Nice! Anyway to make the existing port bigger so the screen could be used? I have not even taken my muff off yet to see.

It's would be kind of tight to open existing port.

I wasn't sure if it wasn't a cat muffler or not.

It has a baffle plate in it, but doesn't look that restrictive.

It's would be kind of tight to open existing port.

I wasn't sure if it wasn't a cat muffler or not.

It has a baffle plate in it, but doesn't look that restrictive.

I don't think its a cat, no mention of it in the IPL or manual. There is only one part # for the muffler also. I'll take mine off soon, I may have to use a tiny pencil grinder to open that existing port.

I don't think its a cat, no mention of it in the IPL or manual. There is only one part # for the muffler also. I'll take mine off soon, I may have to use a tiny pencil grinder to open that existing port.

No it's not a cat, I could tell as soon as I got a peck inside.

Forgot..........you can see the instep in port, muffler has a flange that
fits inside port. Need to make sure muffler flange is indide port, before
cranking muffler bolts down.

Isn't the 211 a strato saw? I had thought you couldn't do any mods to a strato saw without seriously affecting the way it runs.

Isn't the 211 a strato saw? I had thought you couldn't do any mods to a strato saw without seriously affecting the way it runs.

Yup, strato. The 441 and 576 have been ported with great results. I don't see anyone porting a 211 but a muff mod should be fine. I'll have to do one and report back.

211 fell it's first tree

Fell a small Post Oak after work today with the 211.
Run one tank of fuel out of it and 180. 211 done a nice job

I called the dog, caught him as he was jumping the log :)
Yes, to deep of a felling notch.
attachment.php

Flush cut the stump.

attachment.php

211 making fries :)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s116.photobucket.com/flash/remix/player.swf?videoURL=http://vid116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/Trigger-Time_photos/180%20200%20211/0e1c8dfd.pbr&hostname=stream116.photobucket.com"></embed>

probably a "dumb question" but I feel the need to ask it.

On a "fish gill" mod, do you need to install a spark screen behind the "gills"? Or does this not remove the factory spark screen?

I've been thinking about doing one of these mods to a saw of mine, but want to make sure of this before I go for it.

Edited to add: this would be on a Stihl 011's muffler

probably a "dumb question" but I feel the need to ask it.

On a "fish gill" mod, do you need to install a spark screen behind the "gills"? Or does this not remove the factory spark screen?

I've been thinking about doing one of these mods to a saw of mine, but want to make sure of this before I go for it.

Edited to add: this would be on a Stihl 011's muffler

I have No screen behind the gills........some places the law says, you must have a screen.

Latest posts

Back