MS250 or MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with Sawtroll. I am the biggest stihl fan around, but the home owner saws are just another good saw. I know how sweet that new saw smell is, but I still would not trade my Old 028 (cast handle) or my 026 for both them saws your looking at. If I were you, I think I would try hard to find a used pro quality stihl that your comfortable buying. If that is just not an option go with the ms290 if its the same price as the ms250.

:welcome: ... Stihl has been in Virginia Beach for some time now... But you're right they make junk... with all the "changes" they are going through...

Gary

Wait until 2010... the only Stihl left that they sell here in the US now will be the 441. The rest will be strato-scavanged with cats in the mufflers.

Get your 361s now!

Thanks guys for the info. I was lucky enough to get a 290 Friday night 18" 325 chain. It is like a fight around here to get any saws. Didn't get any extra chain or case and even paid for my oil for a one gallon mix. And I wasn't expecting anything nor did I ask for anything extra. But the dealer was very nice and courteous and willing to spend the time to go over the saw with me. I will go back to him for anything else I need (oil, chain, or service).

Spent Saturday cutting up the oaks that had fell. Really surprised and the power and speed. Only thing it would hang if I put any little pressure as I was going through the trunks. Will this go away as the saw gets broke in? Other then that at the end of the day it got very heavy :)

Thanks again!

Thanks guys for the info. I was lucky enough to get a 290 Friday night 18" 325 chain. It is like a fight around here to get any saws. Didn't get any extra chain or case and even paid for my oil for a one gallon mix. And I wasn't expecting anything nor did I ask for anything extra. But the dealer was very nice and courteous and willing to spend the time to go over the saw with me. I will go back to him for anything else I need (oil, chain, or service).

Spent Saturday cutting up the oaks that had fell. Really surprised and the power and speed. Only thing it would hang if I put any little pressure as I was going through the trunks. Will this go away as the saw gets broke in? Other then that at the end of the day it got very heavy :)

Thanks again!

Well done!
It should improve a bit as it runs in but it aint going to keep up with the pro saws.
IMO they are not THAT heavy they are just heavy for the power they produce compared to a pro saw.
Its not like your going to be using it every day.

Thanks again!

You have bought a good saw that will last you for years. Keep the chain sharp, the airfilter clean, and fresh gas with quality oil in it and you will be OK!!

As the saw breaks in it will gain a little power, but not much. When you are bucking large sections that is going to be about all that saw will handle. Don't lean on it, just let the chain do the cutting. You will get the hang of it. Be careful!!

Thanks again!

Good luck with your new saw and don't forget to wear your PPE. :)

Back