MS261 Available in the USA Already!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiousity, I asked my dealer how many 260s, 270, and 280s they have sold this year. Remember, this is a city dealer that suffered slow sales from one of the worst droughts in years this past summer.

MS260 - 3
MS270 - 3
MS280 - 1

So what saw are they selling, since it's obviously not these three...yup, that's right, MS290. They sold twenty 290s.

So that begs the question. Who spends 500-600 on a 50cc saw?

Out of curiousity, I asked my dealer how many 260s, 270, and 280s they have sold this year. Remember, this is a city dealer that suffered slow sales from one of the worst droughts in years this past summer.

MS260 - 3
MS270 - 3
MS280 - 1

So what saw are they selling, since it's obviously not these three...yup, that's right, MS290. They sold twenty 290s.

So that begs the question. Who spends 500-600 on a 50cc saw?

Guilty! bought my 260 a month ago for 513 OTD. looks like the 261 put on a pound compared to the 260 according to Stihl. the 261 looks mean though

I was at dealer in Watertown, SD. He was just putting chain on 261. He handed it to me and stated go ahead and put it on the shelf when your done. If you don't want to buy it.

Looks like a really nice saw.....

Last edited:
50.2cc.
3.75hp.

Price should be about $550.00 give or take.

Ya i just went to the site.....didnt even think about the site til then thats why i edited it. Sure is pricey! I looked at my "Local" dealers and they dont even have it still selling the ms260pro. For $510 with a 16" bar. If the saws were a little cheaper i would consider them but for me i just cant swing that much money for a saw like that. I can get a 60cc echo for $400 bucks.

Stihl seems to be the Harley Davidson of chainsaws....Im sure they make an awesome product but i think they tag on a little more money for the name.

Dont worry ill put my flame suit on :):greenchainsaw::cheers:

Just like NASCAR ? :)

Magnetized studs and then you have to permatex them to the cover to hold them there 'til you slap it on the saw and gun it on with the impact? And then you have to have a couple extra on a belt clip in case one gets away so the forestry ranger doesn't hit you with a black flag? Pass... :)

That 261 is a very very nice looking little saw. However the filter video demonstration proves nothing. I can throw handfuls of chips into my Dolmars with the HD filter and they don't get anything in there either. As Andy mentioned, I hope they're a decent paper element or large nice chips will be about all they'll stop.
For some reason though, I want one :D With our dollars going 1:1 at the moment it's a damn cheap saw in Australia!

I hope those captive bar nuts aren't a permanent fixture...

Last edited:
That 261 is a very very nice looking little saw. However the filter video demonstration proves nothing. I can throw handfuls of chips into my Dolmars with the HD filter and they don't get anything in there either. As Andy mentioned, I hope they're a decent paper element or large nice chips will be about all they'll stop.
For some reason though, I want one :D With our dollars going 1:1 at the moment it's a damn cheap saw in Australia!

I hope those captive bar nuts aren't a permanent fixture...

You want one Matt?;)

Nope, they can be replaced. The pusher/puller tool looks like it can be made pretty easy if not wanting to buy the tool from Stihl.

Cool bananas. They do look nice though. Best bit is if I don't like it I can sell it and make more money than it cost me :)

Back