MS261 H Screw Limiter Removal *NEW*

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've built a dozen or more of those saws.......I just stick an allen wrench it and turn it. The splines just strip....click...click....click.

Yeah, that's what I do too. It's by far the easiest way to reset the position of the limiter on the screw for more range. I don't think it really strips anything in a damaging way.

OP, I think you can avoid having to grind anything -- just turn the screw past where you want it, then pop the limiter back on and presto, you can dial around the proper point pretty easily. You're really just resetting the cap, much like the click-click approach Mastermind mentioned.

Another way is to use a 1/8" drill bit and a drill motor and drill the center of the limiter just a few thousands bigger so you can use a 2 mm allen wrench to adjust the "H" screw

You can't even tell when your done that you did it IMO

MS261 H needle limiters

EPA

To this day I have recieved 1 total ms261 back for lean burn down....but that saw was admitidly run with straight gas by the guys brother in law....

Thanks for this report. It sounds as if the saws are not being hurt but are just not performing optimally with these lean settings. Maybe that is why they are extending warranty periods if you buy Ultra, since synthetics are known to keep operating temps lower. Yeah, I knew that EPA (I call them Employment Prevention Agency) regs were behind this.

No, you sure aren't a bonehead. Now I understand your confusion when you had read earlier threads, one by Brad Snelling, one by MCW, & some others, all of which described the "internal rib on the alloy sleeve" which contacted an external rib on the "alloy jacket" & some plastic tabs at the base of the needle (I described this in detail in a reply to your thread). Stihl has pulled a switcheroo & has changed the way in which it has limited the H needle. I was scratching my head too when you indicated that there was no "internal rib". Interestingly, I also have an MS201, & the round metal "pin" in the alloy sleeve is exactly the same design as Low Volt has described on his MS261. I don't know when they changed the design, but I suppose they were reading about many of us removing the adjustment limitation & decided to throw us a curveball. Many thanks to Low Volt for a very helpful & detailed post. Why Stihl keeps on sending this saw out with a setting which is too lean & which cannot be changed without modification is puzzling. There surely must be some scored P&Cs & some totally fried saws as a result of the factory settings. That is lousy PR. Makes no sense to me!!

Companies always play the odds, and the odds are very few people will run the saw hard enough, long enough to damage it. Then the fines for not meeting EPA regs will easily outweigh he cost of a few warrantied P&C. Just as RR mentions below, only 1 saw had issues and that was operator error....

EPA

To this day I have recieved 1 total ms261 back for lean burn down....but that saw was admitidly run with straight gas by the guys brother in law....

FYI. If you want to get a new style alloy limiter cap it is part number 1141-121-2704A. My dealer said something about a TSB (technical service bulletin) about this change? Maybe I misunderstood.

:biggrin:

Got out yesterday to tune the saw. Did not have any wood to see if it cleaned up in the cut but it was 4-stroking nicely at 13600. If I adjusted it up to 13700-13800 it seems like it had a more intermittent 4-stroking.

:msp_smile:

MS261 H needle limiters

Got out yesterday to tune the saw. Did not have any wood to see if it cleaned up in the cut but it was 4-stroking nicely at 13600. If I adjusted it up to 13700-13800 it seems like it had a more intermittent 4-stroking.

FWIW I usually set mine about 500 RPMs less than where I want to end up before I put it into the wood. After a couple or three solid cuts the engine is up to operating temp & will pick up somewhere between 300-1000 RPMs. At that point you can get a very good read by ear & with the tach as to where you can get optimum performance. It sounds like you have a good handle on it & will be right on target as soon as some wood comes your way!
Re: your post on 11/3/12; I'm all set with alloy limiter jackets. Mine are in place on both the MS261 & MS201. Once the rib on the 261 was removed & the pin on the 201 was removed, the original jackets were reinstalled, & I have a full range of adjustment from fully seated to completely removed with no restrictions. Actually, the jacket on the 201 was never removed. When the pin was drilled out the limitation was gone! Thanks, anyway, for the info on the part no.
Stayner (SCH)

That's exactly how my MS362 is runnin'! :cool2: At 14k a slight burble, but I feel better @13.6K

How do I see the pics?
93756608df35c5b71b9691cdc2a559ad.jpg

Latest posts

Back