MS261cm or MS291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcm82

Reaction score
I need some advice/opinions from the experts, as I am not one. I just bought 12.5 acres that is all woods, scattered pine and hardwood. I plan on spending weekends out there clearing out a road to the housesite and clearing around 2 acres where the house will eventually sit. I am getting ready to purchase a new chainsaw and I had my mind set on the MS261cm until I spoke with the dealer. They have the MS291 w a 20" bar for $490 and the Ms261cmwith 20" bar for $620. I was told that the only difference between the two is the weight and that the best buy was the MS291. I have done some research on this and have read differently. What do the experts think?

No expert here, but if the $130 difference is not to much of a factor I would rather have the 261cm. It would be a little lighter, power would be similar, the m tronic system would keep you from having to tune your saw.

Hi,
I've had my 261 for 4 years now and it's been my favorite saw for weight, power and dependability. I use a 16" bar on mine though.
It is worth the price.

I need some advice/opinions from the experts, as I am not one. I just bought 12.5 acres that is all woods, scattered pine and hardwood. I plan on spending weekends out there clearing out a road to the housesite and clearing around 2 acres where the house will eventually sit. I am getting ready to purchase a new chainsaw and I had my mind set on the MS261cm until I spoke with the dealer. They have the MS291 w a 20" bar for $490 and the Ms261cmwith 20" bar for $620. I was told that the only difference between the two is the weight and that the best buy was the MS291. I have done some research on this and have read differently. What do the experts think?
WHAT ARE YOU ASK NOW? MS 261 AND MTRONIC

I was asking if it were worth paying the extra money for the 261 for what I plan on using if for. Im not a logger and im not in the firewood business. I bought 12 acres where I will be clearing and cutting trees on the weekend.
WHAT ARE YOU ASK NOW? MS 261 AND MTRONIC

I was asking if it were worth paying the extra money for the 261 for what I plan on using if for. Im not a logger and im not in the firewood business. I bought 12 acres where I will be clearing and cutting trees on the weekend.
I SAY MS 261 MTRONIC.

I have a 261 and i love it. I am a professional and to me the choice is a no brainer its the 261. It sounds to me that you have enough wood to cut now and in thw future to justify the extra cost. It is a better saw.

mtronic, tune 30 times per second or more, who can do this with screwdriver?

That's fine and good, but I've not needed to adjust mine once I set it after getting it back from the Plateau.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I haven't seen anybody else changing one 30 times in a month, much less in a day.

That's fine and good, but I've not needed to adjust mine once I set it after getting it back from the Plateau.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I haven't seen anybody else changing one 30 times in a month, much less in a day.
yes you are correct , i just say why dont have mtronic cost a little more and do it alone. thats i say 30 times per second.

yes you are correct , i just say why dont have mtronic cost a little more and do it alone. thats i say 30 times per second.
My regular 261 cuts just as well as a CM would.
I see no purpose in selling a very good Mastermind261nonCM, only to purchase a Mastermind261CM

YMMV

My regular 261 cuts just as well as a CM would.
I see no purpose in selling a very good Mastermind261nonCM, only to purchase a Mastermind261CM

YMMV
I dont tell to sale a no mtronic good saw and buy mtronic, i just say that if someone decide to buy a new saw better to buy mtronic.

On your road cut em low but in your homesite leave a 3ft stump wherever possible this will give your backhoe operator something to push on when removing stumps.

I bought myself a new MS261C-M right after Christmas, and just this morning sold my 10 year old MS250 this morning via Craigslist. The dealer also had a new MS661C-M on the shelf which made me drool.

Stihl has bumped up its horse power on the new 261CMs to 3.9 (used to be 3.76) compared to 3.75 on the MS291. Plus you get the Mag case and sprocket cover which is made out of magnesium compared to plastic on the 291 AND the m-tronic system with a decompression valve (which really isn't needed on a saw this size but it does make starting much easier) . LIGHTER AND MORE POWER. 261 is an all around better option for the money.

Back