MS290 -> 390 hop up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco D Capote

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

I wanted to say thanks for all the great information here, I've done a lot of searching and digging and have learned a lot. I am a hot-rodder at heart and love to tinker. I got an MS290 a while back because it was available gently used (homeowner used it for cleanup once) and I needed something for firewood gathering. We live in the mountains outside of Boulder, co. and heat with wood predominantly and I am cutting dead standing lodgepole pine that is skinny usually.. After a few seasons of cutting with the 290 I've only basically put a 20" bar on it with the full chisel yellow RS Stihl chain and done the muffler mod and retuned the carb. The muffler mod really helped it and getting rid of the green safety chain was like a revelation. Anyhow, it cuts well but sometimes I get some harder pine that it bogs on a little bit. Rather than upgrade to a pro saw I got to thinking and reading and saw that the 390 P&C is a relatively easy upgrade. I read lots and lots and have decided a Cross performance P&C kit from HL Supply with the Caber rings would be a decent option. It seems like those cylinders or the Hyway ones seem to be the best non OEM option.

Anyhow I did some reading on porting and it looks like MAYBE the cross performance ones are copies from castings that were ported by some folks (one guy maybe) around here. That seems nice. Is that correct?

Also, one of the other bummers about the saw is the shorter bar. 20" was a nice upgrade from 18" but I still have to bend over a bit to cut logs laying on the ground. I was thinking of going to a 25" bar only to get a better reach. I'm not taking trees that are that big. The saw bogs with the 20" bar most of the way in wood, not totally buried.. but again, it covers the diameters of the stuff I am interested in cutting. Anyhow, you probably guessed the next question (which i've read a few threads on) going .325 to 3/8" so I can get a commercially available 25" bar...

As far as the bar and chain go I haven't really seen much other than that Stihl spec'd the 390/391 with 3/8" and in some cases up to a 28" bar and most folks tend to say less than 50cc is a no go for 3/8".

Even though Stihl spec'd the 390 that way I am wondering.... would the MS290 with the 390 P&C kit (and Muffler mod of course) do Ok with that longer bar running 3/8" pitch full chisel chain? What I am thinking is yes, but I have very limited experience here. Also, would it be worth it or needed to learn about and perhaps do some mild porting to the Cross performance 390 kit parts or are they good to go as is. I have read about squared off exhaust ports being bad (rings) and other things but I need to learn a lot here before getting the burrs out of the toolbox to do a little clean up.

I'm thinking the 390 P&C with the MM and a tad longer bar might be a decent formula for what i'm doing. I guess I could sell it and just get a MS362

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long first post..

I've done a bunch of these for my local fire department. They destroy these saws at he fire academy because they're cheaper than the 460 Rescue saws that are on the trucks. No downside whatsoever to putting a 310 or 390 jug on a 290. They run great. I leave the muffler alone, because with a 18" bars its not needed. Arborsite heresy, I know!! The only additional mod you should do is to replace the fixed jet in the carb with the one for the size cylinder you install. This little jet does 90% of the fuel delivery and the screw fine-tunes the last 10%. Don't take a chance on the saw running lean under a load. The RPM can usually be adjusted with the screw only to the desired RPM, but under a load it is not adequate. Replace the jet!!

If you are looking at the cross cylinder. Send them a message before you order it. They have a pop up piston available now. It will help with compression. Give you a little bump for your elevation.

Steven

Back