MS290 vs 2" knot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if you break your brake, is that a good time to take a break? English is really a pretty stupid language.

I always ask them to clarify when they speak of the chain break. So you mean the chain snaps in half when you activate the lever? My jest is often misunderstood. You would be surprised how many airline pilots write up tires showing "chord." I call them
musical tires.

Pilot write-up on the squawk sheet...'nose wheel tire almost needs changed'

Mechanic's notation on same...'almost changed nose wheel tire'

I've always viewed the brake as an emergency device and when not actively cutting with the saw, turn the saw off. I've never heard of anybody being cut up by a non-running saw. Maybe a few cuts and scratches, never lost limbs. When having to move from cut to cut, I, in advance, clear my path of anything that may draw my attention away from cutting and if I need to do something else, having been trained by my father...turn it off! Saves wear and tear on the saw, makes me concentrate on the task and when younger... avoided that stinging sensation in my ass. Either by blunt force trauma or the back of the hand!

The clutch is building heat even at idle, save the wear and tear, turn it off. In 35+ years of using a chainsaw, with and without brakes, I've never burned up a clutch or had the brake activate and except for testing, never activate it when a saw is running. Count me lucky!

I have had it where some saw dust or chips get lodged in between the chain and bar, and it acts like the brake is on. I then drive the chain against the log to get it to spin again. maybe this happened and he was really pouring the coals to it, and smoked it.

I never engage the chain brake on purpose. It only goes on if it kicks back, and its very noticable.

was this the OP's first saw? Maybe the brake was on and he didnt no what was going on.

Last edited:
With enough throttle, it can go. It's been done a million times. Ask any saw shop.

Yeah, but the one I have you can't I tried it just now with full throtte chain did not move but the saw is over 10 tens year old so thats when stuff was built better But I believe you I guess you can ride the brake too but you can see why I was confused.

Latest posts

Back