MS310 took one for the team, HELP with aftermath....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Over the weekend I went to drop a dead ash tree for some firewood to heat our house (getting LOW), and my 310 got hurt pretty bad. This tree was almost perfectly straight, so I didn't think I'd have any problems dropping it anywhere I wanted; I was wrong. Cut my wedge out, started on the back and she wanted to go backwards. Saw got stuck, and my father in law came to the rescue with his 310. Well, he wasn't watching close (he was keeping an eye on the tree that was held up by my saw) and he CUT my saw bad! Took out the bar oil tank.

Once the tree fell, it bent my new 20" bar, and pulled the chain threw the cover.

So, she's hosed. Took it to my local dealer, and estimate to fix it with parts and labor is $450!!! New MS311 is $479.99 with 18"bar, $499 with the 20".

What should I do? I can't really afford the new saw right now, and I need this thing in order to heat the house. He said something about there being several models with the same parts, and to look for a saw with a bad motor. Does that sound right?? If so, which models can I use?

Any help is appreciated. I'll get pics up ASAP. This sucks too, as I loved this saw. Bought a pair of them (one for me and one for my FIL) about four-five years ago, and they've been awesome.

p.s. the MS311 was very tempting :bowdown:

MS290 310 and 390 at the same saw. Parts are cheap on ebay. Even cases are around $50

If you don't care for the flippy caps you can try 029 parts. I think they are the same too.

Scroll up toward the top of the page to the "Swap Meet" thread. Post the parts you need there. Good Luck.

Part it out on ebay. Buy a cheap saw. Practice felling.

Thanks, but i'd like to get this one going or get the same/similar saw. I've been doing this for several years and never had any problems like this.

However, I will say I wish someone would have taught me what to do in these situations, I should have unbolted the bar and grabbed the saw away. I never thought of that until the dealer mentioned it.

MS290 310 and 390 at the same saw. Parts are cheap on ebay. Even cases are around $50

If you don't care for the flippy caps you can try 029 parts. I think they are the same too.

Good deal, I'll start looking for those models.

Scroll up toward the top of the page to the "Swap Meet" thread. Post the parts you need there. Good Luck.

Thanks!

Post a pic of the damage so we can get a better idea of what needs replaced. Sounds like the "engine housing" (basically the entire saw chassis) got nailed and will require complete dis-assembly of the saw to replace it. Not that big of a deal if
you have the time and the tools.

Part # should be 1127-020-3003 for the whole 290, 310, 390 series and you should be able to find one relatively cheap. A buddy of mine claims to have gotten a used one from a dealer today for 30 bux.

Poge

Post a pic of the damage so we can get a better idea of what needs replaced. Sounds like the "engine housing" (basically the entire saw chassis) got nailed and will require complete dis-assembly of the saw to replace it. Not that big of a deal if
you have the time and the tools.

Part # should be 1127-020-3003 for the whole 290, 310, 390 series and you should be able to find one relatively cheap. A buddy of mine claims to have gotten a used one from a dealer today for 30 bux.

Poge

Will do. I might have a replacement (029 Super) from a real nice guy on here.

Today's quote from the dealer was almost $300+ in parts. The case alone was $138 and change.

-Will

Will do. I might have a replacement (029 Super) from a real nice guy on here.

Today's quote from the dealer was almost $300+ in parts. The case alone was $138 and change.

-Will

S**t can that dealer NOW and I'll put money on the "real nice guy on here" gets you fixed up just fine for a fraction of the dealer's quote!

Good luck.

But wait a minute...

...a replacement for the 310?

PM me NOW if that's what you mean and want to sell the wrecked 310 to cover the 290!

:cheers:

Poge

Last edited:
Thanks, but i'd like to get this one going or get the same/similar saw. I've been doing this for several years and never had any problems like this.

However, I will say I wish someone would have taught me what to do in these situations, I should have unbolted the bar and grabbed the saw away. I never thought of that until the dealer mentioned it.

No problem. Didn't mean to come off as a d-bag but that was my honest advice. lol Those saws are not as bad to work on as some guys make them out to be. Lots of good threads here on re-building that series. Taking the powerhead off is a good idea. It also pays to set a wedge, even lightly by hand, on anything other than obvious head leaners.

to the op where in nw ohio are you at. I dont have any parts for you but am getting ready to move due to a divorce and downsizing things. If you need a saw to get you by I got a poulan pro or or a mcculloch 610 Id probably give away.

Watch eBay for a saw that was straight gassed.....or some other internal problem that makes the other parts available for your use.

Everyone is missing something very important here. It's a perfect excuse to go get a new saw!!!! Wipe away the tears over your fallen comrade then go through all your old coats, pants, jars and dig through the "sofa savings bank" (as I like to call it) and find all the loose change you can and buy a new saw!

Everyone is missing something very important here. It's a perfect excuse to go get a new saw!!!! Wipe away the tears over your fallen comrade then go through all your old coats, pants, jars and dig through the "sofa savings bank" (as I like to call it) and find all the loose change you can and buy a new saw!

Awesome way to look at it, but if the OP doesn't have the funds right now it's pretty hard to do... With the economy today, I can sympathize with him for sure.

Hey, how bout this, if you can't fix your saw cheap....How about borrowing the FIL's saw for a weekend or two and cut all you need to last the rest of the burning season (spring is almost here and don't forget he's the one that cut your saw up...). Then you'll have all summer long to save for a new 362...:clap:

Haha, nice one! Unfortunately, the sofa bank is all cashed out, so no new saw for now.

Update to all that have been helping, I found a seller on Ebay that has 100% feedback from thousands of buyers. He had all the parts I needed, new OEM Stihl, for $148 shipped to my door.

I'm getting:
Sprocket Cover
Case
.325 20" 81 DL RS chain with Stihl bar.

I just need to check my chain adjuster too, to make sure it didn't get bent up.

I'll get pics here in a few, going out now.

Thanks to everyone!!!

-Will

Ok, just found out the bar/chain the guy quoted me on is wrong. I was running a 3/8's chain, not a .325, so I'm hoping he has the other in stock.

Here are the pics:
ms310-wrecked1.jpg

ms310-wrecked2.jpg

ms310-wrecked3.jpg

-Will

Awesome way to look at it, but if the OP doesn't have the funds right now it's pretty hard to do... With the economy today, I can sympathize with him for sure.

Hey, how bout this, if you can't fix your saw cheap....How about borrowing the FIL's saw for a weekend or two and cut all you need to last the rest of the burning season (spring is almost here and don't forget he's the one that cut your saw up...). Then you'll have all summer long to save for a new 362...:clap:

That's what I should do. He offered for me to use his, however after killing mine, and my 032 AV not working, I got all pissed off this weekend and said screw it.

I'll probably call him this week to see if I can use his saw to cut that fallen ash up.

I'm hoping to have my parts by end of week, then hopefully the local dealer/service center won't take too long putting it all together for me. I'd do it myself, however I don't have the time or know-how. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I've got too many things on the burners right now.

Thanks for all the help!!

-Will

Latest posts

Back