Ms360 Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawfan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey whats up. I am new to this message board and have a little question. I just bought a new Stihl Ms360 with a 24" bar to replace the old 041 and homelite xl870 I used to cut wood with. What can I do to it to give it a little extra poop! I am thinking about holes in the muffler but I dont know exactly how. Also thinking about an air filter change. Thanks

If you want to keep that saw a long time, and put a whoopin on any stock saw up to 65cc's, I would send it to Dennis Greffard.

For a few hundred Canadian $$ (about $5 in the US) he will make that saw get up and RUN with some muffler work, a little porting and polishing, and mild compression boost.

Plus the saw will run cooler and pay for itself with longer life and increased productivity. Also it will pay for itself in these :D :D :D

Welcome to the Site!! If you are serious about getting more power out of your saw then send it to Dennis. I have an 066 that Dennis built and it has quite a bit more power than stock!!;)

u mite put a 20 inch bar on it if u can make do with that. mine already struggles to keep the bar oiled enough,with the 20,in hardwood.
as to power ,more wouldnt be any good for me, as she already got plenty . like i said the bar lube is the limiter for me on this saw.good luck ,u made a great choice ,my opinion. . havnt even opened the exhaust on mine,dont want to mess up a really good saw. one thing ,mine is well broken, in so that mite be something for u to think about

Tony, you're having problems with the oiler???:confused: Is it by ANY chance clogged?? Crack in the oil line, weak pump ect.????

yep, ryan its not a thing i run into unless the 20 inch is buried in hardwood.
the oiler puts plenty oil out for normal cutting. ive posted before that it be nice if these oilers had an overload function.
something to keep the bar from heatin up
to much in that sort of situation.of course i could bring my wife an let her pour xstra oil onn in those rare situations.not. rite now i just pull it outa cut and rev it a bit ,so its no real big thing.
but it is the only limiter ,as to what this 036 can handle [with 20inch bar]:)

While a sharp chain is very important,it's the volume of oil that is also critical to reduce heat and resistance in the heavy full load cuts.

That's why some small and larger cc chainsaws have adjustable oilers.

Rick

Thanks for the info

I appreciate the advice. I did a search for muffler mods and came up with two actual ways of doing it. The two holes in front with pipe brazed over them(easy) and just making the existing hole out of the side of the muffler larger.(easier) Not sure how I am going to do it just yet, but I am atleast going to wait until the warrenty is up on the saw. Thanks guys

Brian,

I try not to stir up the mud too much,but I must take issue with
your assertion that only a "true pro" will reap the benefits of a
modded saw. I do not put myself in the pro category, but stacked
up against 10 people who run saws, I would say that I run them
more than 8, and the 1 in front of me has way more experience.
What I mean to say is that, just because I'm not a pro, doesn't
make me unable to use a modded saw to the best of my ability.
It just doesn't qualify me to say how the saw may perform day
in and day out. I would still, and always will recommend a
modded saw to anyone who is safe, well informed, keeps a
sharp chain or chains handy (regardless of who sharpened),
and wants to get the job done. I also agree that a modded saw
should not be pushed, but just offered as an alternative.

I wonder if Dennis ever got my 440 ARKTIK?

if they ever did . its a good bet they didnt do it twice. especially back when he was running shine. woulda been a bad idea to mess with them old mountain boys, when they wus makin a run.:D

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Having a saw worked over by a pro builder will cost $200 or so and might give you an additional 10% boost in power over muffler mods alone.

Only 10%? That isn't nearly as much as I imagined. How much do these gains differ from one saw to the next?

tony,

I reckon the only one who had the balls to do it, was Fireball
Roberts, and he met his fate way too early. I'm a Yankee, but
I was brought up on cars with big and bigger motors. I know
about David Pearson the way most folks know about Reggie
Jackson. Take my advice, buy another saw.

well iv grew up here where these race boys was local. theres a lot just as good that never made headlines. except the obits. if u talkin, buy somethin beside the 036 ,i aint above it. but i can put a decent chain out now. and ill thro dn a hundred, with anything in its class on 12 inch log. not bragging but i guess that is the kind of statement ,bets is made from:)

My 36 pro is a good saw. I stick with tony, and say it'll keep up with anything the same size and some bigger.

I've never ran the 24, but I've cut a little bit of wood with the 28, and a lot with the 20. I've never had problems with the oiler. With the 28 I turn it up as far as she'll go. Tony, I think you've got a bum oiler.

Open up the muffler. I'd bet money,that mine picked up 20%. Don't wait untill the warranty ends, unless you think you'll have problems with the dealer working on it.

I'd send my saw to any of the builders that post here. Personnally, I've got a husky that Dennis built me, that gives me an ear to ear grin everytime I use it.:D

Well I did the muffler mod and it picked up on power quite a bit. I would have it built by one of the saw builders if I cut any thing over 18 inches but I dont much. Then again If I cut bigger trees I would have gotten an 044, 046 or 066.

Latest posts

Back