MS362 or MS441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwfa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there a huge difference between these saws. I plan on picking one up toady and I do not want to waste a lot of money.

Cutting down old trees 12-18" Pines/Sweetgum/Sycamore/White Oak.

May do some beginner milling?

Is there a huge difference between these saws. I plan on picking one up toady and I do not want to waste a lot of money.

I have only run someone else's 362, but have had a modded 361 for 6 years (similar size but more power). I have several 441's ......... get the 441 if you are even thinking about it. Because if you don't you will regret it. That is not to knock the 362, as I will eventually own one, but at those sizes of saw, go ahead and get the bigger one, with a 20" bar. Then if you want another saw get the next level smaller 261 for very easy handeling.

My advise,

Sam

Buy the 362, then hang around here and learn about saws.
Keep a eye out for a used milling saw.
There are deals out there you just have to watch for them
I went a little crazy when I first started so take it from someone
that has been down that path you are headed.

Also In the size of wood you are cutting the 362 will be so much
easier to use weight wise. 362 is made for that size wood and a little bigger.

When you are ready to mill, check out the milling side here.

TT

I just got a 362 and like it very much. I only have 3 tanks through it so far but it is not lacking in power. It will kill trees the size you are talking about.
Wags

Yes, there's a big difference in the saws.

Thats what I think. Thats why if he is already thinking about the 441 and has the finances to get it now, he might as well or he will "wonder", and in this case he will be right, the 441 is faster.

That is not to knock the 362, but I like the 70/50cc, two saw plan and if he is going to already get the 70cc then the next progression will be the 261/260/346.

Cause if he is on here/AS already, we know he is screwed and CAD to the second degree will get him, LOL.

Sam

Get the 441 instead of 362 & yes there's noticeable difference. Better yet, get a 460 instead, it weighs the same & you can easily pick-up another .6 hp by swapping out the factory muffler cover with a dual port cover for under $40.

Well, it's probably too late. Milling small trees will be possible with the 441/460. Barely with the 360. I'd say go for the 360 and plan on getting a 660 for milling.

There is no point with getting the 70cc saw, if the wood is max 18"! ;)

Milling is a totally different story though!

Last edited:
MS362 or MS441?
Is there a huge difference between these saws.

Yes. Chances are you will notice the weight of the 441, but not really on the 362. On a 20" bar, power won't be as obvious as if you have a 25" bar deep in wood.

That is not to knock the 362, as I will eventually own one, but at those sizes of saw, go ahead and get the bigger one, with a 20" bar. Then if you want another saw get the next level smaller 261 for very easy handeling.

Agree. I personally like the 460/260 two saw set-up.

Also In the size of wood you are cutting the 362 will be so much
easier to use weight wise.

Agree. As a one saw set-up, this is (in my opinion) the perfect size saw.

That is not to knock the 362, but I like the 70/50cc, two saw plan and if he is going to already get the 70cc then the next progression will be the 261/260/346.

Agree. If you are going to go with this plan, I would go for the 460 over the 441, worth the extra $ IMHO.

we know he is screwed and CAD to the second degree will get him

"Do you know what that sound is Morpheus? That is the sound of inevitability."

I have both saws so if I could only keep one it would be the 441. I like the 362 alot but the 441 could run a 20" bar or up to a 28" in my experience very well. The 362 would be limited to a 25" in my opinion. Both are great saws.

Steve

Im sorry to Hijack but, could someone explain what CAD stands for. I have the jest of what it means but I can not figure out what it stands for.

I would think the 362 would be plenty for you. And then a good 066/660 for the milling work. The 362 aint no slouch. Sucker will cut some wood and get it done fast. I have a 361 and use it 90% of the time. Thats with a 260 and 660. I like the 50/60/90 saw plan better than the 50/70. Gives alot more flexability, especially if you plan on milling.

Chainsaw Aqcuisition Disorder.

Well I feel dumb now. I figured out the Chainsaw and Disorder part but the "A" was killing me.

Thanks for that.

Yes, that is the original meaning - later some have said that the "A" is for Addiction, but that isn't true! :biggrinbounce2:

I obviously don't have it, but the Husky 560/562xp sure triggers something that is close to it! :yoyo::yoyo:

Got a MS441 20" Bar

Well guys I really appreciate the input from everyone. Wish I had a little more cash and I would have gotten a 460 but the 441 was pushing my pockets. Why did I go ahead and get a 441....I was scared that the economy would continue to fail if i got a 362 then I could not get a 660 in the future like many guys have suggested.

I still have a small saw my Pop gave me ...16" Craftsman for small task and then what feels like a beast in my hands the 441, I know if is still a small saw to many on here but to me WOW!!! Power.....for bigger task.

Soon to get it setup and cutting and I will post any info that may be of interest in the future. I know I will use it to mill some of the small logs for basic lumber so I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the input....

Back