MS440 dual port?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ultra and Andy,

cut4fun requested a racing exhaust 0n an 084. He was doing an event at a fair and wanted the cover pronto. I had built this cover with extensive amounts of time. The 084 is a very difficult cover to weld due to the way the speed bumps go on the cover. Thanks to this cover, I now know how to avoid this with the stressed steel. I was unable to clean up the inside welds and get the part to the Medina County Fair in time.

The racing cover has an extremely large port. Since it was such an extremely large port, clearance on the front of the saw was of great concern. That one was built specifically for a race application, and work as a secondary.

The covers that are built for everyday use are ported twards the front and aimed away from the handle.

TH go with the DP from Stihl, you will love it!:bowdown: :bowdown:

Unless you are racing the others would not give you much more, if any, than the cover from Stihl.....

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :hmm3grin2orange: but didn't a factory equipped dual port saw have a much larger exhaust opening on the muffler itself also?
The one on my 046 dp is freakin huge! (twice the size as the opening on my 066) also, the exhaust shroud the protects the handle is much larger. Hence the need to open the primary port up for more performance when adding a dp cover.

Ed

The local shop said just make some holes.

The advantage of this muffler is that it is stock, it doesn't direct the gasses onto your hands and it is just bolt and go plus carb tuning?

The front muffler cover on my 440 is lost it's black color. Not sure if I got too much degreaser near it or if the saw is running lean.

Thanks gents.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :hmm3grin2orange: but didn't a factory equipped dual port saw have a much larger exhaust opening on the muffler itself also?
The one on my 046 dp is freakin huge! (twice the size as the opening on my 066) also, the exhaust shroud the protects the handle is much larger. Hence the need to open the primary port up for more performance when adding a dp cover.

Ed

yes, but... you'll find it's a lot easier to open up the slot in the front cover than the rear muffer hole - just a flat file..

Went to order mine today but the dealer said the computer info suggested they were no longer available.

He said this is what happens to parts that are out of production and means only that he will not get it from Intermountain, the regional distributor.

Anyone having problems like this? I love my 440, but I will be bummed if this sort of thing happens when I need parts now that Stihl has a new pony in this race.

Went to order mine today but the dealer said the computer info suggested they were no longer available.

He said this is what happens to parts that are out of production and means only that he will not get it from Intermountain, the regional distributor.

Anyone having problems like this? I love my 440, but I will be bummed if this sort of thing happens when I need parts now that Stihl has a new pony in this race.

Try another dealer!!!

Yeah, I came educated with the PN from the thread.

He said it is ordered but will not come from the regional warehouse.

He will come through, just said it wasn't going to be a 3 days turn around like in stock stuff usually is.

This is the dealer that is worth a lick. The other one wouldn't sell me a saw without safety chain and only stocks RSC in premade loops, no chain breaker or full skip unless it is ordered in.

Back