Ms440 mag or ms460???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the 460. Nothing wrong with a 440, but in my view it's kinda like a Chevy 305 instead of a 350. If you do end up getting the 440, make sure it has the HD air filter.

Come on, a 305? It's more like a 327 with aluminum heads.

How does the 046 Magnum compare to the newer models discussed here?

I am quite happy with this one that I bought used a couple years ago. Most of the body and the carb has been replaced. The body was badly damaged when a big round tipped over on it -- hate it when that happens!:bang: The carb needed some work, and when the saw was all apart, i just had a new one put into it. I recently replaced the clutch cove, because the "original" wasn't, and was a bit small, meaning the chain wasn't adequately covered on the bottom of the saw :msp_scared: It had been like that for years...

View attachment 280169 View attachment 280170View attachment 280171

Actually, I "miss-remembered"; the round just broke off a mounting bracket under the air filter cover; all the top parts are original, it was the main body that was replaced due to a crack ( no one took credit for that)

Last edited:
Well finally after a few weeks I finally got time to go to the dealer and ended up buyin a 441R. It should be here by the end of the week, so thanks everyone for the input it was a tuff decision.

Congrats on your purchase. What size bar did you get with it? Did you get the one with the m-tronics feature? I just bought a 441RC-M and so far I am loving it.

Pretty much the same as 460. Especially with the flippy cap thing you got going on yours. :jester:

Congrats on your purchase. What size bar did you get with it? Did you get the one with the m-tronics feature? I just bought a 441RC-M and so far I am loving it.

Thanks, yea I ended up gettin the m tronic . I only got it with a 16 cuz I need a new 16 for my 260. I'm gonna run a 25 that I bought for my 361 which seemed to be too much for that saw, so that now has an 18 and my 260 will stay 16..... Also thought bout puttin the 16 on the 361 , I figured it would prolly rip with that. I'm glad to hear that u love yours, I can't wait to get mine. I also bought he synthetic oil for the extended warranty (which I ran anyways) . Ktoom, I ended up takin ur advice too I bought it at WD's and they were great, gave me a good price I thought of 860 which was pretty cool. So hopefully ill be cuttin by this weekend!

Thanks, yea I ended up gettin the m tronic . I only got it with a 16 cuz I need a new 16 for my 260. I'm gonna run a 25 that I bought for my 361 which seemed to be too much for that saw, so that now has an 18 and my 260 will stay 16..... Also thought bout puttin the 16 on the 361 , I figured it would prolly rip with that. I'm glad to hear that u love yours, I can't wait to get mine. I also bought he synthetic oil for the extended warranty (which I ran anyways) . Ktoom, I ended up takin ur advice too I bought it at WD's and they were great, gave me a good price I thought of 860 which was pretty cool. So hopefully ill be cuttin by this weekend!

You did really good on the price. I paid about the same price for mine and that was with a family member discount.

I will tell you one thing, you might want to start wearing hearing protection. Man, that thing will make your ears ring in the smaller wood.

Finally here it is!!!! Now I know what everyone is gonna say, and I know it has a 16 inch bar, but the truth is I got a 16 for my other saw cuz it's cheaper to buy a bar for 10$ with a saw. I. Have a 25 inch bar that came off my 361 and hats goin on there tomorrow, I got home late. So once again thanks everyone for the input and I can't wait to try it out!!View attachment 282294

Back