MS441 Oil Usage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwfa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Finally was able to run a tank of fuel through my new MS441. Coming from a small Craftsman to this is a huge jump. I cut an old 24" pine stump down that was way to much for my old saw in approximately 30". Then cut three other 12" to 18" pines that were down into 2' sections. I thought the weight of the saw was going to be an issue but it actually made the cutting easier for me. Yes I am sure this is all old info but it is new to a :newbie:.

Here is my question..I ran a full tank through it and it only used less than half a tank of bar oil. Scary to me....my old craftsman was 1 to 1. Does this sound right...I never saw a lot of oil on the chain?

Half way above E

I agree....but I never saw anything like that.....concerned me....I guess I should have turned it all the way up and then worked backwards??

Good way for a slow brain to mess up my new saw

Turn the oiler to max and leave it at that setting. Run the saw some and pull the chain out of the groove when you go to re-fuel. If you have oil on the drivers you are good. Newer saws do not oil as well as older ones. Signs of poor oiling include burning the bar edges, the chain getting tight in the bar groove, and (mostly on longer bars) the chain drooping. Keep an eye out for these signs and check for oil on the drivers and you should be good.

Newer bars have smaller oil holes than older bars. Not enough oil for me. I have drilled out the holes on all my newer bars to, 1/8" or 5/32". Works MO better!

I'm not sure on the 441 but lots of Stihl saws seem to have oil left over even with the control wide open. I run them everyday and thats what they do. I might try thiner oil or a bigger hole in the bar

Sounds like a plan

Thanks for the info....:hmm3grin2orange: Makes feel better about what I was seeing

My new 441 is only using 1/2 tank of oil per tank of fuel. I'm going to see if I can modify the piston travel like I did on my 440.

Brad, that is what I found with the half wrap 441's, and in my opinion ...... as a user of crappy, cheap bar oil, that isn't enough oil for the 28" and larger bars, especially when they are modded and really pulling the chips out hard like these things are doing. Let me know how that piston modd works, cause I need to do that to my two half wrapped 441's, I will probably also want to have it done to the 441R's too, if it will make them oil better.

I think these hopped up saws that are pulling faster chain speeds while cutting hard oaks and hickorys require a lot more oil to keep the chain cool, as we aren't having any problems with the BB660 and "slower" saws, but these modded 441's and the "Killer" 660 are having these issues, as they all cut on another level. I actually talked with Terry, about going to straight Stihl Bar Oil, since I can get it cheaper now. We think (in this case) buying the better oil will make up for the collective chain wear problems we just started to get and chain stretching due to heat, as it is only happening on these faster saws. In some cases speed has it other obstacles to over come, but in these cases, I don't mind over coming them, LOL.

Sam

I found that all of my Stihl saws excespt for the ms260 were really bad at oiling the chains,when compared to the Husky's! My ms361 seems to be the worst,even with the oiler set to high flow it still can heat up the bar when really working it. None of my Husky's are like this at at all!:(

That's how they are. If you are running a Stihl B+C it shouldn't be a problem.

Back