Ms460 felling spikes issues (pics )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's all backwards. Your inner spike came off of an 064, why its on your saw I don't know.

There isn't an outer spike made for the 460 that will match that, it's not possible.

Order #28/24 and you'll be all set.

Felling dawgs are so over analyzed on these forums and people chime in that have no idea what they're talking about throwing numbers around and make it 10x more confusing.
28 and 24 are exactly what I ordered from the ipl. I have no idea how I got an inner spike from an 064, but I do remember the bags that the spikes came in had the correct part numbers on them.
It sounds like an inner spike for an 064 was put in the wrong bag.

What Ryan is trying to say is that the 046/460/461 are one of the few models with different spacing between the studs and the dawg bolts than most other Stihl models. They require a different inner/outer for correct lineup than 036/044/064/066 models. It’s a common issue.

28 and 24 are exactly what I ordered from the ipl. I have no idea how I got an inner spike from an 064, but I do remember the bags that the spikes came in had the correct part numbers on them.
It sounds like an inner spike for an 064 was put in the wrong bag.

I'll try again then I quit.

I guess in a technical sense that inner 064 dawg isn't technically "wrong"..it bolts on after all..but..there is no match that will work with it on your 460.

No disrespect. It's just a pain in the ass to explain on a keyboard.

I'll try again then I quit.

I guess in a technical sense that inner 064 dawg isn't technically "wrong"..it bolts on after all..but..there is no match that will work with it on your 460.

No disrespect. It's just a pain in the ass to explain on a keyboard.
None taken! I got the correct one ordered. Thanks !

What Ryan is trying to say is that the 046/460/461 are one of the few models with different spacing between the studs and the dawg bolts than most other Stihl models. They require a different inner/outer for correct lineup than 036/044/064/066 models. It’s a common issue.

Actually the inner isn't the problem. It's the same as all the others on the dual sets. It's the outer that is exclusive to the 046/460/461.

Others were saying his outer is the wrong one I'm saying it's the right one now as to the lnnner I will go out to the shed when I can and I will get the numbers off the inner but it is the wrong one because on the inner his bottom spike is the same length as the one above it and that's wrong

Others were saying his outer is the wrong one I'm saying it's the right one now as to the lnnner I will go out to the shed when I can and I will get the numbers off the inner but it is the wrong one because on the inner his bottom spike is the same length as the one above it and that's wrong

Careful- someone will toss their cookies with all this talk about innies and outies. :laugh:

Just buy a set of damn Pro Safety dogs for a 460 and be done with it! You'll have a beautiful set of matching dogs, no part number guessing required! @deye223 Sawmikaze was saying the outer dogs are problematic on 460's in general due to their being model-specific and non interchangeable, he knows the inner dog is the wrong one for this saw.

Actually the inner isn't the problem. It's the same as all the others on the dual sets. It's the outer that is exclusive to the 046/460/461.
Correct.

The distance from the studs to case front is different. I meant the combo is specific. The front stud is closer to the case front/dawg bolt than on other Stihl’s. So that shifts the clutch cover forward and make a standard outer dawg stick out too far.

So one needs a shorter outer dawg or a longer inner dawg. Bring most inner Dawgs are universal, that means same inner with shorter outer dawg.

If I get a chance, I’ll measure an 044 case vs an 046 case and post pics.

Wow I didn’t know spikes could gather this much attention! I had a chance to look at the saw some more last night and the inner spike I have on doesn’t even appear to be oem or the correct one. There are no stihl part numbers or any stihl branding on it anywhere.

hopefully the one I ordered is the correct one.

ill post up some pics of the inner spike this evening. It’s definitely aftermarket

I don’t believe this is an oem part. There are no markings on it whatsoever

It probably is AM, from whom did you buy it? Guessing it was an online order- using IPL part numbers- which would have worked fine if your supplier used only genuine Stihl parts that come in Stihl branded bags- but sometimes, bulk suppliers buy stuff from all over the World, it comes in clear bags with a white patch and black parts numbers on that patch. Those numbers might line up with an IPL, the part might "fit" but often the part does not resemble the IPL blueprint. You supplier inventory's by part number on bags, not by visual comparison- order comes in for a part number- the bag with that number goes out.
If you paid OEM prices- send it back and ask for what you originally ordered in OEM form.

Both spikes were bought from an actual stihl dealer about 2 years ago or so. I remembered paying about 40 dollars for the pair. I never really paid it much mind until I dug the saw from storage to run it a bit and noticed how uneven the spikes were

how I ended up with particular inner spike, I’ll never know.

coincidentally that dealer is now closed …..

Both spikes were bought from an actual stihl dealer about 2 years ago or so. I remembered paying about 40 dollars for the pair. I never really paid it much mind until I dug the saw from storage to run it a bit and noticed how uneven the spikes were

Usually it’s a case where someone assumes that because they fit an 044, they also fit an 046. So that is how they get labeled and sold. The dogs you have probably work fine on everything from 044 through 660, except an 046/460. Can’t remember which one, but one of the dogs needs to be an 1128 number to fit the 46, they can’t both be 1122

Usually it’s a case where someone assumes that because they fit an 044, they also fit an 046. So that is how they get labeled and sold. The dogs you have probably work fine on everything from 044 through 660, except an 046/460. Can’t remember which one, but one of the dogs needs to be an 1128 number to fit the 46, they can’t both be 1122
My 460
20210610_201205.jpg
My 461
20210610_205621.jpg

I thought of the easiest way to explain this last night..

If you bought a :

440 R
460 R
660 R

All three have the same inner dawg.

The 440 and 660 have the same outer dawg.

The 460 has the different outer exclusive to itself.

Back