ms460 muffler mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been reading up how to open up the stock muffler but I hope I didn't go overboard...what I did.
-enlarged the hole in the back half muffler
-enlarged the slit beside the hole
-drilled three holes in the internal baffle
-installed a dual port cover

I left the screens in place.

will this produce some good results? What should I do different? I'm going to get the carb set with a tach later this week. 13,500 rpm correct?

you did not go to far, I have seen much more, As for R's I like 12.5 to 13, its a little richer but I think safer for a work saw. Hopefuly someone will jump in with more experience like a saw tech and correct me if im wrong on the R's

Looks like you will have good flow for a stocker. Removing that internal baffle might get you some more but focus on getting the rpms right. My stockers are at 13,300-13,500....they run great.:clap:

My 460 is turning 13,800 and it is perfect right there.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

My Way

Here is mine. After opening up the hole, I brazed a strip over it to keep the exhaust away from the handle.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks good Russ.

That was going to be my only comment, was that opening the stock outlet and the slit will make the paint on the case burn, and possibly the chain brake handle.

I would focus on the opening of the cover. You can make that pretty wide and still keep a screen in it.

What's the part # for the rear half muffler on a 460? I want to get a couple and experiment with different set ups. Oh yeah, how much do they run from your dealer? thanks

1128 140 0603 is a 046/460 rear half. I'm not sure if there is a different part # for the older "dual port" rear half(like you have). Not sure on price.
Take your internal baffle out and you will have plenty of flow.:chainsawguy:

Back