ms461 falling dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Reaction score
well i got the 461 back from randy and was gonna try to put the pro safty dogs off my 460 on it and here is what i found View attachment 261292
attachment.php

the lh one is standard inner that fits 440/460/660and 461 ,the middle one is off a 440/660 ,and the rh one is off the 461

Last edited:
Drill a hole so the outer dawg fits over the roller catcher when properly installed on the inner dawg. The outer dawg should be installed on the outer mounting posts as-is.

Drill a hole so the outer dawg fits over the roller catcher when properly installed on the inner dawg. The outer dawg should be installed on the outer mounting posts as-is.

yes that will get you going ,but the points dont line up on the dogs doing that ,the tilt is different ,it looks like if you slot the 2 mounting holes 1/8 if an inch or so could make em work ,im just gonna see if can get the 4 points for a 461 ,dont want any egged out bolt holes ,the stock ones will work for now ,i was just trying to bring some 461 info interchange to the site on what i found last night

My wrap came today but haven't fired it yet. Will it come standard with the HO oiler?? It has larger dogs??

My wrap came today but haven't fired it yet. Will it come standard with the HO oiler?? It has larger dogs??

yes it has the high oiler ,on all stihl saws if you look with a flashlight at the oil adjuster screw ,h/o oiler will look like a letter T on the screw ,see photo View attachment 261301
attachment.php

yes that will get you going ,but the points dont line up on the dogs doing that ,the tilt is different ,it looks like if you slot the 2 mounting holes 1/8 if an inch or so could make em work ,im just gonna see if can get the 4 points for a 461 ,dont want any egged out bolt holes ,the stock ones will work for now ,i was just trying to bring some 461 info interchange to the site on what i found last night

I see what you are saying. Looked like the pro safety dawgs lined up if done that way.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you were conveying.

Thank you, how do you like yours??

i ran it a little last night for the first time ,(just got it back ) mines ported ,thing sounds pretty good ,has a lot of tourqe ,noticibly more than my 440/460 hybrid ,it is a little bulkier and heavier feeling than my 440 chassis is ,feels real similar to a 460 in weight ,ill try it in some big fir this weekend see how i like it ,is dark when get home now

just checked the ipl, like the 460 before it, 461 has its own outer spike that no other saws use. stupid stihl. at least they could have kept the 460 and 461 outer the same but nope, its different.

I see what you are saying. Looked like the pro safety dawgs lined up if done that way.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you were conveying.

what you were saying ive done using a 440 dog on a 460 and will work ,the chassis on the 461, if i was to do that ,the points on the dogs wouldnt be in line with each other ,the clutch cover ones looked down hill and not in line with the inner ones ,i should have taken a picture of what i was seeing ,a picture describes better than what i can type out ,maybe tonight i will set the 440 dog on top of the 461 outer dog and get a pic of the misalignment of the points

just checked the ipl, like the 460 before it, 461 has its own outer spike that no other saws use. stupid stihl. at least they could have kept the 460 and 461 outer the same but nope, its different.

i think they pooched the front of the case forward a little for the transfer ports ,explains the longer outer dog

... ,is dark when get home now

It was a little weird here last night because it got dark so early like about hour earlier than normal clouds rolled in

Can't wait to here that does on the trees here in the PNW

I was at that saw shop Monday on the way to Darington and a couple guys brought in there 460's and the dual dawgs on those saw were huge; bigger than the Stihl dawgs

you would think they would just make a longer sprocket cover to overcome this, i spose its cheaper to make different outer spikes, afterall not everyone runs them.

you would think they would just make a longer sprocket cover to overcome this, i spose its cheaper to make different outer spikes, afterall not everyone runs them.

yea, plus at least the inner spike and clutch covers are all universal.

Latest posts

Back