MS461 or MS461R ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hseII

hseII

Addicted to ArboristSite
So, I want to buy a new MS461 with the Large Wrap handle and the Large Dogs with a 25" bar. I thought this is a common saw. On the Stihl website, they call it the MS461R. So I have contacted 4 different dealers locally to order this for me, and they all want to know why I want the MS461R "Rescue Saw". None of them seem to know about the regular R version. Am I calling this model/version the wrong thing? What should expect to pay for this here in Virginia?

Yes I know, probably a NEWB question, but I had to do it since my local dealers can't tell me.

You must live in The SouthEastern United States like I do.
The rep said,
"He can just buy the Regular 461 and then buy all those extra items, can't he?"

I **** You Knot.

My Dealer was as aggravated as me.

I've got to call them back tomorrow.

Glockem45

Glockem45

ArboristSite Member
I want to first thank mcobb2. So, today was the day. I am off all week and instead of hunting bucks, I was starting a new past time, NOODLING. I am not sure how wide my smile was supposed to be, but I popped my Cherry on this saw. I will post pics shortly, but I was cutting 25" Red Oak rounds today for about 3 hours, and stacked 3 full pallets of quarters to get them off the ground and airing out, plus have them ready when I want to run the log splitter. I have two 85' tall Red Oak rounds on the ground, and I Noodled about a 3rd of them today in no time.

Two things to get used to. A Yellow chain, and oh yea, a 70cc Saw that pulls you into the round. I am going to call my new saw the "Butter Knife", as it just cuts through these hard Red Oak rounds like nothing. What a superior improvement to Noodling with my MS290 Farm Boss....

Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
That would be akin to being surprised how mush more a single wheel one-tone will drag/pull/haul over a S10 or Ford Rangeer... LMAO.

I had the same awakening when I bought my now departed MS660. I went from an 039 Stihl being my "big" saw to it and Dad and I used the hellout of it until the day it burned up in my ld truck (along with my 346xp, Husky 55 and Stihl 039)... When you go from a good saw to a GREAT saw (or any tool for that matter) it is amazing the difference. It makes one tend to wonder how you got along previous to acquiring it. Congrats again and a whole-hearted YOU SUCK is in order!

mcobb2

mcobb2

ArboristSite Operative
I want to first thank mcobb2. So, today was the day. I am off all week and instead of hunting bucks, I was starting a new past time, NOODLING. I am not sure how wide my smile was supposed to be, but I popped my Cherry on this saw. I will post pics shortly, but I was cutting 25" Red Oak rounds today for about 3 hours, and stacked 3 full pallets of quarters to get them off the ground and airing out, plus have them ready when I want to run the log splitter. I have two 85' tall Red Oak rounds on the ground, and I Noodled about a 3rd of them today in no time.

Two things to get used to. A Yellow chain, and oh yea, a 70cc Saw that pulls you into the round. I am going to call my new saw the "Butter Knife", as it just cuts through these hard Red Oak rounds like nothing. What a superior improvement to Noodling with my MS290 Farm Boss....
Glad to hear!!!! Enjoy!