MS660 Exhaust Opening Observation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was bored last night and I had a Stock MS660 muffler in front of me and a metric caliper. I measure the exhaust opening where it attaches to the cylinder and it was approx 551mm (29mm X 19MM). They I measured the actual opening in the muffler where the exhaust Exits. and came up with 110MM. Well I've always used 85% of opening should be the exit size. Well that is 466mm Well I guess Stihl makes these 356mm Smaller for emmissions. No wonder they seemed so choked up. Just my observation.

Can you find them used for a reasonable cost? I keep seeing some old 064 Exhaust pop up on ebay. I have a full machine shop and Fabrication shop below me. I was trying to think of something creative to do with my Exhaust.

Just open up the side port. It's possible to make the opening several times larger while keeping the spark screen.

Some people add more holes to the inner cage or remove the cage entirely. I'm not sure if the older 066's even had the inner cage ?

My 660 has a dual port muffler, the original side port opened up to about a .750 square and a port added to the other side of the muffler a little larger yet, it runs like it should, or at least close to it anyway.

The exhaust duration is pretty long in some of the newer saws (660), that small stock port works decent with the long duration, but there's plenty of room for improvement

Last edited:
The large outlet muffler is still available.

Part number: 1122 140 0603

See this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=91351

attachment.php

Back