MS660 vs 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a new ms660 a while back and have not ran it yet. My buddy has the 395xp. He says he can't wait til we get around to cutting together so that he can display how a real saw cuts. What is everyones opinion of the outcome. I have never even been around a running 395 so any input will be appreciated.:monkey:

If 660 is new, it will make more power after it is broken in, 5-15 tanks of fuel
run threw it. As Brad said, go ahead a buy the DP muffler cover from your dealer.

If all things are equal, chains, same bar, same wood, same cutting skills, than you are going to lose.
Fact is stock vs stock in their class most Sthils are slower than Huskies or Dolmars, depending on class.
With that being said, speed is NOT a good indication on how well or how good a saw is. IMO I think most Stihls are better built and better balance than Huskies overall.
Both are good saws, both will have their strengths and weakness. IMO they are equal and not one is better than the other.

You could always tell him that you bought your big saw to cut wood, and he must have bought his big saw to try and compensate for something....

I'd bet any difference in power is gone with a dp. In fact, I'd be real surprised if the 660 wasn't faster with the dp.

Remind him that your saw has an inboard clutch and weighs about 2 lbs less.

Sharpen your chain well.. and run a rock over his (be subtle) :greenchainsaw:

No kidding. Run a square chisel chain and you'll win hands down. Your saw will feel like it's been ported in comparison to a round filed chain.

:confused: The 395 doesn't have an inboard:confused: I think it's closer to 1 lbs...Help bulid the forearms

Pretty sure it's outboard. The 394 I've used is, and I thought the 395 was as well.

Troll will be here in a minute to tell us...:givebeer:

Make sure you install the dual port muffler cover and retune before hand.

20 years ago I took my modded Stihl 064 to a "stock appearing only" speed cutting competition sponsored by Husqvarna out on Vancouver Island. Dual port mufflers were not out yet for Stihl 064s and the organizers tried to disqualify me [Bob Walker for one] for having holes drilled in my muffler. The decision was quickly over ruled by competitor Ron Hartill [7 time world lumberjack champion] . Ron proceeded to kick everybodies butt with his Poulan 655, I came close to Ron but not good enough.
I ran a Husqvarna 395XP the other day and it didn't seem any heavier then my 066 mag , maybe ergonomics has something to do with it. I am sure if the 395 muffler is opened up it would run alot stronger too. I just like the feel of the 395 while cutting -smooth and easy on the hands. I'm still leaning to getting a 390XP in the spring, with a few mods look out.

Pretty sure it's outboard. The 394 I've used is, and I thought the 395 was as well.

Troll will be here in a minute to tell us...:givebeer:

Yes the 395XP is a cooler running outboard clutch, good for sawmilling and heavy cutting what it does best.

I've weigh my 066 and 395 and they weigh almost the same. If the weight difference is too much for someone to handle than they really have no business handling saws this size. IMO.

both are good saws.

i would just ell your buddy that yours is better because your parts cost more.he will tell you is air filtration is better.

stock,he will beat you if his chain is sharp and he is tuned right.with the dual port you will run with him or just behind him.

i personally hate inboard clutches.i like keeping my saws clean and pulling the inboard clutch off to clean all that crap out from underneath there is a PITA.

out board clutch helps hold the bar when replacing chains.especially the long ones.

Latest posts

Back