MS661C 2015 M-Tronic V3 4702A Coil Calibration Now Grenaded Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really need to drop my Stihl dealer. It's getting past the point I am willing to tolerate. Ordered a set of the piston rings. 1144 034 3000 - Asked for a single one at first since I broke only one.

Was told NO they only come as a set. Set is around $15.

Ok. I paid for them last week. Came in today. I get there to pick them up and they wanted to charge me again for them. Cleared that up.

Then I'm asked if I only ordered 1.

No, It was the set of 2 for ~$15

Only one was in the container. Looked online and only found them in a set. Showed him. Nothing they can do I was told.

Is there a dealer I can buy from over the phone that will register my saws, etc. and ship them to me that wants my business in the near future? I'm a South East USA customer and buy a couple pieces of STIHL powered gear a year. Not a huge client, but feel I could get better service outside of my area. I cant even get parts ordered I want for the 661 arctic.

Really need to drop my Stihl dealer. Its getting past the point I am willing to tolerate. Ordered a set of the Pitson rings. 1144 034 3000 - Asked for a single one at first since I broke only one.

Ok. I paid for them last week. Came in today. I get there to pick them up and they waned to charge me again for them. Cleared that up. Then I'm asked if I only ordered 1. No, It was the set of 2 for ~$15

Only one was in the container. Looked online and only found them in a set. Showed him. Nothing they can do I was told.

Is there a dealer I can buy from over the phone that will register my saws, etc. and ship them to me that was\nts my business in the near future? I'm a South East USA customer and buy a couple pieces of STIHL powered gear a year. Not a huge client, but feel I could get better service outside of my area. I cant even get parts ordered I want for the 661 arctic.
Just finished reading all 6 pages/103 posts on this thread and have to say, Skygear, you should get an award for your patience and perseverance. I am not particularly religious but am actually praying that you get this worked out. I also applaud all those who have provided great input on this thread. If nothing else, you have shown that there are people who really care in the world.

He is actually the one who suggested I contact Stihl.
1d25c0143ed33488bacd8c858020468b.jpg
8939c3c94ac82239171d282ec4448827.jpg
dab0e7f9604c04e2ac545b8dac27ca2e.jpg
it's easy to explain how to re-cabrate hese 1144 versions of the 661c; nevertheless, if tey won't even start to begin with

just as additional information. The following is from Redbull on O P E.

Coil/"control unit" -

Mtronic Ver 1.0 coil/control units - 4700C 4700D (don't know the part #) *(edit: part no. was 1144 400 4710 in 2013-2015) - these have lower fuel values and have been associated with allowing the 661 to lean seize.

Mtronic Ver 1.5? 4700E (don't know the part #) (1144 400 4710) - may still be considered Mtronic ver 1.0 - these are supposed to have higher fuel values. (I had one and it ran fine.)

Mtronic ver 2.0 - 4701A - 1144 400 4720 - these had either the same fuel values or higher than 4700E. I had 4 or 5 661s upgraded to this coil. I've run many 661s using this 4701A coil with no issues. As of 8/5/18 midwest stihl no longer sells this coil. You must purchase the 1144 400 4703 or 4704.

FYI "reset procedure" for 4700c, 4700d, 4700e, 4701a = Warm saw, bar chain on. Start saw on choke let it run choke, after 60-90sec (do not touch trigger) push switch all the way off. Restart saw now in run position, let idle (do not touch trigger), after 60-90 sec shut off. Restart saw and do 5 cuts.

Mtronic ver 3.0 coil - 1144 400 4703. I haven't seen an acutal coil in person but I would assume the shorter number on the coil itself would be "4703A". edit: it's actually "4702A" lol.

It gets better...as of yesterday 8/4/18 I noticed they now offer a newer coil yet! - 1144 400 4704. :nut:

as of 8/5/18 at midwest stihl 1144 400 4703 and 1144 400 4704 are in stock and both sell for $111.54

the complete thread can be found here: Coil/"control unit" -

Mtronic Ver 1.0 coil/control units - 4700C 4700D (don't know the part #) - these have lower fuel values and have been associated with allowing the 661 to lean seize.

Mtronic Ver 1.5? 4700E (don't know the part #) - may still be considered Mtronic ver 1.0 - these are supposed to have higher fuel values. (I had one and it ran fine.)

Mtronic ver 2.0 - 4701A - 1144 400 4720 - these had either the same fuel values or higher than 4700E. I had 4 or 5 661s upgraded to this coil. I've run many 661s using this 4701A coil with no issues. As of 8/5/18 midwest stihl no longer sells this coil. You must purchase the 1144 400 4703 or 4704.

FYI "reset procedure" for 4700c, 4700d, 4700e, 4701a = Warm saw, bar chain on. Start saw on choke let it run choke, after 60-90sec (do not touch trigger) push switch all the way off. Restart saw now in run position, let idle (do not touch trigger), after 60-90 sec shut off. Restart saw and do 5 cuts.

Mtronic ver 3.0 coil - 1144 400 4703. I haven't seen an acutal coil in person but I would assume the shorter number on the coil itself would be "4703A". edit: it's actually "4702A" lol.

It gets better...as of yesterday 8/4/18 I noticed they now offer a newer coil yet! - 1144 400 4704. :nut:

http://************/threads/ms661-info-on-new-carb-coil-solenoid-released.13529/

* added part number
why aren't we getting punished by epa? When their sufficient upgrades for the 661c is inconsequential

I know it wont sooth the pain but, I've been dealing with Stihl well over 43 years. I have found, that they are the most lenient manufacturer I work with. There's a lot of speculation and maybes about your failure. Nobody really knows what happened. Tons of info out there. Some right, some wrong, some opinion and some just emotionally driven.
Those fuel numbers tell a lot. My only advice, and take it for what's it's worth, when you feel you have a problem with a new product. don't back down.
And the info I posted about the importance of calibrations was fresh info direct from Stihl. Because I made a call to them yesterday.
They always tell you to calibrate, but never what happens when you don't.
We sell a fair amount of 661's. We sell a ton of MS201T's. Being perfectly honest, we have not seen a large amount of failures due to the system.
Solenoid leakage. That causes rich running and not idle.
Those two 661's that just failed recently is a total mystery.
And yes, they are constantly changing the control units. That doesn't necessarily mean because of problems.
I have read that i's in regards to the old epa regulations? But I can't figure out why I am out over so much for a 1144 m tronic that just stopped working for no reason whatsoever?
Long and short of it. I learned a lesson . I should have been more diligent in my pursuit for resolution when I got the saw. Expensive lesson in lost work and expensive saw down with an expensive repair to boot. I'll fix it soon. Have to work that into the budget now.

What, no magical incantations, incense, holy water, Ouija boards, speaking goats, ordained ministers or exorcism rites needed?
Could no one at Stihl come up with 30 or 40 additional steps?
And how are you supposed to remember all this crap when you're out in the woods?
dizzy.gif
I have trouble remembering my scrench.
I can't get mine started to get to the woods? It was like demons had invaded it. One day it was fine and the next it wouldn't start

Well if Stihl just said the saw had a pre existing condition, then they have just shot themselves in the foot.
Now you need to ask them why the Stihl dealer did not fix this condition.
I wish I could just get them to remove the demons from my 66
1 c ? I have never seen such a sudden catastrophic failure

Really need to drop my Stihl dealer. It's getting past the point I am willing to tolerate. Ordered a set of the piston rings. 1144 034 3000 - Asked for a single one at first since I broke only one.

Ok. I paid for them last week. Came in today. I get there to pick them up and they wanted to charge me again for them. Cleared that up.

Then I'm asked if I only ordered 1.

No, It was the set of 2 for ~$15

Is there a dealer I can buy from over the phone that will register my saws, etc. and ship them to me that wants my business in the near future? I'm a South East USA customer and buy a couple pieces of STIHL powered gear a year. Not a huge client, but feel I could get better service outside of my area. I cant even get parts ordered I want for the 661 arctic.
Sky, don't feel alone.

My local dealers are useless. Techs, if you can call them that, terrible. The nearest "Elite Dealer" , 30 miles away, has an attitude. His son took over, followed his father's philosophy. Poor communications. Never mention buying a six pack of oil on gasoline product purchases to double warranty.

I told them I'd take an item, never called when ready for pick up. Waited over a week, called, "yep, it's ready" Well too late, I'll roll the dice elsewhere. 60 miles round trip for this?

Personal service, read about it in a history book. Lack of, seems to be industry wide, just about everything anymore. I try to buy on line when possible, to avoid these people.

Latest posts

Back