MS880 41" BC .404 or .375 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to be sorry about, for sure. I thought I was a 100% positive until the other guy posted that they were different. I second guessed myself and checked to be sure. Perhaps he does not have Stihl drums on at least one of his saws, I don't know, but as you see they should be the same. Enjoy your 088, I do mine. Everyone near by calls when they have big Oaks down. It makes quick work of them and gives me more excuses to run it, it's a blast.

Dealer said Sat. he will order 880 tomorrow, should be here Wed.

Ask him to get it last Mon.......he said if your not in a big hurry
he could do a little better on price if he order's more units.
Don't know if he meant better for him or me. He has been
very good to me, I said I would really like to have it by Labor Day weekend :)

This tree is waiting on the MS880 :hmm3grin2orange: and a few others.
attachment.php

And to mill these
attachment.php

Last edited:
Depends on your style. If you like to lean on saws with all your might, then maybe .404. I prefer a more relaxed style and am quite happy with 3/8 on my 3120 and 880 (42, 50 inch bars).

Cuts fast and so far have had no issue of stretching or breaking.

With my 880, it definitely picked up some power after maybe the first 4 or 5 tanks . So I second Lakeside in running the saw at least a few tanks before milling just to start right with such an expensive saw.

Last edited:
With my 880, it definitely picked up some power after maybe the first 4 or 5 tanks . So I second Lakeside in running the saw at least a few tanks before milling just to start right with such an expensive saw.

If it takes 5 tanks of fuel to break in...........that's 1.7 gallons of fuel.

Looks like I need to find a big Post Oak and make a bunch of big cookies :biggrinbounce2:

Thanks,
Gary

If it takes 5 tanks of fuel to break in...........that's 1.7 gallons of fuel.

Looks like I need to find a big Post Oak and make a bunch of big cookies :biggrinbounce2:

Thanks,
Gary

Yeah, but I bet I could go through 5 tanks of gas in less than a half hour in the right wood. That thing is really thirsty when it's working hard.

I know, not to go out and try to break it in cutting 12" dia wood.

(Dumb question :dizzy:)

Not Milling Talking Oak, about what dia" of wood to break it in on?

Or about what size of wood starts to put a load on this
size of saw in Oak, Stihl RM chain.

Thanks,
Gary

Latest posts

Back