Ms880 big bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Port work is about your only option. Luckily, it will be way better than just adding displacement and won't cost much more than a buying a piston and cylinder.

I have a Randy Evans ported Husqvarna 3120xp.
It costless and has more to give than a stock MS880....are you a Stihl monotheist ?
The Big Husky is a better value for milling imo.
More Bar options easier buy in etc.... (read cheaper).

I have a Randy Evans ported Husqvarna 3120xp.
It costless and has more to give than a stock MS880....are you a Stihl monotheist ?
The Big Husky is a better value for milling imo.
More Bar options easier buy in etc.... (read cheaper).

I’m not against going with a husky, but I already own the 880 would be the only down side to changing heads

Yeah it’s not worth changing if you own the 880.
Have you millled with it yet ?
It’s strong out of the box.
Maybe open the muffler to help it stay cooler.
Run 40:1 and richen up mix a bit too (not too much).
Put it this way, if I had a stock 880, I would not have persued the 3120xp at that time it became available.

Frank Rizzo is full of hot air. I'm surprised he's still allowed on this site. Hotsaws101 makes good saws I'm sure, but I've yet to hear of a more expensive port job. Lots of good guys out there who will make that 880 what it should be for a fraction of what jack at hotsaws101 charges. Personally I'd call Scott Kunz or Carl Miller.

Would you happen to know how to get in contact with him?
Beware. Frank rizzo (aka fabz, banned on multiple other forums for being a jackoff) is a hardcore fanboy of hotsaws101. The guy does make great running saws, but is expensive and as said above, is an arrogant prick by almost all accounts ive ever heard. Lots and lots of good builders. Take ur time and do ur homework. And dont listen to frank fablez.

Frank Rizzo is full of hot air. I'm surprised he's still allowed on this site. Hotsaws101 makes good saws I'm sure, but I've yet to hear of a more expensive port job. Lots of good guys out there who will make that 880 what it should be for a fraction of what jack at hotsaws101 charges. Personally I'd call Scott Kunz or Carl Miller.
LOL!! Didnt see ur post until after i posted. Sounds like we’re on the same page.

Respectfully.... Brad I hear that 32:1 but.... there has to be some air to run the saw.
It’s a smoky mess running a rich saw a 32:1 milling.
Any life saved in the saw is spent by the operator.
40:1 seems plenty and 50:1 won’t kill a modern saw for some time.

If you mix a stihl brand at 32:1 then only use HP Super. If that isn't available then use another FD rated oil like red armor.
Most, if not all other stihl oils are engineered to run at 50:1 and will cause excessive carbon build up when mixed any richer. Performance also suffers.

Latest posts

Back