Muffler Bolt issues with my Poulan PP295

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it starts and runs now, the adjustments should now be very rich, but
we will get into that after you have gone through the carb.

Alright Fish. I took the whole sucker apart and sprayed it all down with carb cleaner, got a WHOLE BUNCH of dirt out, and it looks basically brand new. No whole in the screens or anything. The only things I didn't take out where the screws on the side the function the idle and RPM. Everything else was taken apart and cleaned thoroughly. So I put her all back together, started it up and it ran on fast idle without a slip. after about 15 seconds I tapped the trigger and it went to idle just fine. I then went to rev the engine and it faultered a bit. I had to pump the throttle a bit (to avoid it from stalling) to get it rev'ed and then it ran really strong and hard for as long as I wanted. As soon as I would let off the throttle it returns to idle quickly and idles very weak and stalls. Fired right back up and idled fine until I hit the throttle then it idles very low and dies.

Anyhow. MUCH better then it was running. Still not quite usuable bit I am almost there. Might just be an adjustment to those screws but if I need to take it apart again I will. Lots of good experience taking place here.

Fish has apparently been caught, cleaned, and eatin'!!! Would anyone else have any input on where to turn next to get this saw up and running appropriately. Right now my issue is a throttle response and then slow idle when I release the throttle. I have already turn the idle screws 1/2 turn counterclockwise. I'm thinking of just turning them back to the original location and see how that works this evening now that the carb is pretty much spotless and clean.

Good on ya, Trout, you need to adjust that carb up right. There are a bizzion threads on here about it.

I will say that just "cleaning out" a carb may help but will not solve the "stiff diaphram" issue if that's the underlying problem. I would also be wondering, if I were you, how all that junk got into the carb. You're headed for a repeat unless you figure that out.

Dang, can't a fella slip into an alcohol coma for a day or two???

Anyway, from your post, I have a question. Did you remove the needle/spring/lever thingy????

You need to do that, and blow out the passage below, which goes up to the
screen on the other side. You then need to hold it up to a light to "verify"
that it is clear. Blow the carb spray through every other hole you see.
Reassemble.

Now you know that the carb was the problem..

I did pull that entire assembly appart and blasted it was the carb clean. Little clip, tiny spring, and pin all came out. I didn't shine a light on the screen though. Does it seem obvious that I need to tear it all apart again and check with a light?

If you did not hold it up to a light and verify that it is clear, then yes, you do.

With an air compressor, it blows it out better, but the carb spray is hit and
miss, but with either method, you need to verify visually. Then with that
done, the other passages still could be clogged, but the passage I have
detailed, that is the first step.

Fish.....you are the man!! I went over everything again, put it all back together, and the thing is purring like a kitten. YES! Now it's off to get a 16" and lose this overkill power robbing 20" I've been dealing with.

Did the very same thing to my sons 2 stroke quad and walla!!! baby started first pull!!!! Thanks again Fish. Pretty much opened up a whole new world for me as I have always been that guy that assumed it was "Broke", paid for repairs, and was just too intimidated by small parts to try myself. This is great!!

Glad you got it going. You now are a Gold Level Poulan "PRO" tech.

You may add it to your signature...............

Back