Muffler Mod-ms310 And Ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php
attachment.php
So on the 310's you just take the three nuts off, take that cover plate off and drill holes in the screen mesh area? How far do you drill in? Thanks . . .
Or you could do what gremlin did on mine,gut the whole muffler and put a big straight pipe on it(sounds real cool)just kidding.The holes in front will work just fine.I had to say something when I say my first post from awhile ago on page 1.Heres a pic of the one gremlin did for me and got me going on all this mod stuff.
attachment.php

here!!!

this was my initial mod. i have since opened the muffler holes until they almost touch. i think my initial holes were 3/8" and 3/16". i did not change the deflector when i opened the muffler the second time.
it is a very effective mod......

attachment.php

attachment.php

i forgot to mention that i also opened the two small slots across the bottom up to about 5/16ths and made one hole out of them. it sounds nasty!!!!

BTW, that mod tha woody has looks nice...it is a great mod for the 361, but modding the 310 doesn't require that much engineering.

i forgot to mention that i also opened the two small slots across the bottom up to about 5/16ths and made one hole out of them. it sounds nasty!!!!

BTW, that mod tha woody has looks nice...it is a great mod for the 361, but modding the 310 doesn't require that much engineering.

Agreed on the 361 type mod. The 1127 saw mufflers are so easy to mod you do not need any fancy stuff at all. It does keep the saw quieter if they did not remove the center baffles in the muffler though.

You can also do a more 'civilized' mod if you want to open them up but keep the 1127 series saws quieter. For that drill holes around and between the small original ones, as well as above the large one at the right. These are in the area outside the muffled dimple in the center. Then open up the cover plate either by drilling holes or grinding off a section as shown in the above photo. I would grind it off back to the angle in the bubbled out section though. This second step is critical for better air flow. By doing this you are opening up the saw 2-4 times the original air flow. You want to leave enough back-flow pressure to keep raw gas mix from just being dumped out the exhaust port every cycle.

Sorry no photos of my 290 muffler mods, I sold that muffler to a guy on AS a while back.

The muffler mod worked great on my MS310 . . . I'm thinking about custom fabing something now just for looks. I'll take some pics if I end up doing it! :chainsawguy:

have you put it in wood yet? i was cutting some 16-20" oak yesterday with my 7901. it got pinched and i pulled out the MM 310 to cut it out. i was impressed with how that saw cuts. i couldn't lean on it like i could the 7901, but it still held its own.

have you put it in wood yet? i was cutting some 16-20" oak yesterday with my 7901. it got pinched and i pulled out the MM 310 to cut it out. i was impressed with how that saw cuts. i couldn't lean on it like i could the 7901, but it still held its own.

Yep . . . took down a 60' Silver Maple about 2' around at the base and she cut like butter until I hit one of my wedges! Definitely has a lot more get-up-and-go!! I think I might have gained close to 3/4hp from it. I am using a 20" bar also . . .

don't pay someone to do what anyone who can turn on a light switch can do. the whole thing including the carb tuning can be done in less than 30 minutes. PM if you need step-by-step instructions.

don't pay someone to do what anyone who can turn on a light switch can do. the whole thing including the carb tuning can be done in less than 30 minutes. PM if you need step-by-step instructions.

+1 . . . it takes no time at all. Print off the pics off of here and you will have it done in 10 minutes!

Latest posts

Back