Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaars

Big Wood
Reaction score
You guys are always talking about a muffler mod. Does it help that much? and does it make saw louder? I have an MS 290 and a MS 660 mag
and a ms 192T Don't know about the 660 it is pretty "manly" now but the 290 maybe.
What does it consist of, Just gutting it or something else. And I guess a piped muffler is like headers ??? Thanks, don't mean to be dumb but just Dumb!!

All these views and no one replied yet! Actually you should take this question to the chainsaw forum, but I'll throw in the 1/8 ounce of info I have for you.

A muffler mod basically means you drill a hole (or holes) in the muffler to allow the exhaust to come out quicker, thereby giving the saw a bit more power. You have to adjust the carb afterward to make up for the change.
I don't know how much it helps, but it does help a bit.

The EPA forces manufacturers to do all kinds of dumb things to engines to be safer on the environment, so people with the know-how must alter them to work better. Gosh I hate the EPA. :bang::bang:

I installed a Stihl Dual Port Muffler on both the MS460 and MS660..
It does improve throttle response and sounds real good..
This is a factory Stihl DP Muffler I installed..
I would not recommend modifing or drilling any holes in your muffler unless you know what your doing..

Last edited:
My 2 cents. It lets the motor breath easier. A little louder,a little more power,a cooler running motor. I cant help but think it adds some hours to a motor as it runs cooler. As to what you have to do is different on different saws. My MS440 had nothing in the can so all I did was put a 1/2" hole on the flywheel side and add a home made deflector,some do have guts and cats in them.

Gosh I hate the EPA.

It's been over two decades since the EPA has done anything truly meaningful, and near three decades since the EPA outlived taxpayer cost effectiveness. It has become nothing more than a corrupt heavy-hand, wielded by whatever ideologue holds power at the time... but this is a topic for another forum so I'll end it there.

As far as the muffler mod thing...
How much you will gain, or more to the point how much you will notice, really depends on the engine itself... some are more responsive to a muffler modification than others. Near always a muffler modification will require carburetor changes, and without a fully adjustable carb (which is becoming rare) that ain't so easy. Whatever power enhancement you gain comes at a cost in higher noise levels and more fuel usage... which ain't linear, a 5% power increase means more than a 5% fuel usage increase. Typically a muffler mod begins with removing the muffler, measuring the exhaust port to determine total area, then modifying the muffler outlet(s) in some manor to 70-80% of that, and finally making carburetor adjustments... opening the muffler outlet(s) further than the "magic" percentage will actually hurt performance. Be warned, if done improperly it has the potential to damage, or even destroy the engine.

Before the EPA regulations on small engine emissions (noise and exhaust) manufactures built them how they believed would provide the best balance of power, reliability, longevity, and whatnot... and most made some darn good power-to-weight. There was still room for performance improvements for the true motor-heads to mess with, but again, those improvements came at a cost... typically in longevity. In order to meet the new regs, without spending billions on R&D, manufactures restricted exhaust systems... which in turn reduced power output and caused engines to run hotter... which in turn necessitated some changes to internal engine design and carburetors... which in turn reduced the power-to-weight ratios. That's not to say manufacturers haven't continued to make improvements... with some notable ones in just the last few years. But, under EPA regs, they will never be what they could be (heck, most aren't even what they were yet)... and likely the EPA will soon hit manufacturers with new, more restrictive regulations that will degrade performance even more (and likely make it more difficult for the end user to modify... which, by the way, is illegal in most areas of the country).

I've modified the exhaust on a couple of my 2-cycle engines with positive results (not my chainsaw though, it's pre-EPA), but I can't tell you what to expect by muffler modding your MS192 and MS290, I simply don't know... I don't even know if they have adjustable carbs. Your best bet would be to take this to the Chainsaw Forum and ask the guys that hangout there... you'll probably find the best experiences with both saws, along with opinions, advice and direction (including some "been-there-done-that").

Last edited:
Muff modding is pretty similar to removing, or gutting, the cat in your trucks exhaust. If there isn't one there, or the exhaust is pretty free flowing, gains would be minimal. Speaking just power, not emissions here but I'm pretty confident we aren't killing the world running a chainsaw.

Rule of thumb here is to have muffler outlet about 80% of cylinder exhaust. This includes removing all the little baffle things inside (and honeycombs if present).

Even the non-EPA mufflers,should get looked at. Those usually just involve drilling larger holes.

Take it to the chainsaw forum on what improvements can be expected on those particular saws. On many older saws, they already breathe free enough.

I did my ms 310 a few years ago as per instructions I found here on the Chainsaw forum and it made a noticable difference. The saw is louder but not to the point where it is annoying and I've never had a complaint from anyone.

If you will enter the subject of your post "muffler mod" in the search engine you will be rewarded
with days worth of reading and lots of pictures...

I have modded out numerous mufflers on saws. The Stihl Dual Port exhaust is an awesome exhaust and has a great sound with a little improved power. I cut open my exhaust on my 031 AV and took out the baffles because they were loose and flopping around in the muffler getting lodged up in it and making the saw bog. I took them out and braised up the cut with the torches and some brass braising. Polished the braising to a shine. Sound awesome and has more power now. I could post pics of the process up on here if you are interested in it.

I have modded out numerous mufflers on saws. The Stihl Dual Port exhaust is an awesome exhaust and has a great sound with a little improved power. I cut open my exhaust on my 031 AV and took out the baffles because they were loose and flopping around in the muffler getting lodged up in it and making the saw bog. I took them out and braised up the cut with the torches and some brass braising. Polished the braising to a shine. Sound awesome and has more power now. I could post pics of the process up on here if you are interested in it.

Yes, Go ahead and post pics. Thanks

I didn't "mod" a muffler per se, I just replaced the CAT muffler on my 353 eTech with a non CAT OEM from Baileys. Fattened up the high adjustment and the saw runs cooler and has a bit more "grunt". The saw ran good for over a year till the swap - done after the warranty period expired. Now the saw runs great and does well pulling a 20" blade in oak..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my big 1" galvanized dual port.

913698C4.jpg

Or open a OEM port like i did on my 435 with a carbide bit

E6FF2987.jpg

Either way, a retune is a must.

Back