muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayerser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thinking about doing a muffler mod on my Stihl MS 270. I was wonder if it is a good idea and if it is then how should i go about doing it?

Do not Modify your saw. There are serious Federal penalties for doing anything that would violate EPA Regulations of the Clean Air Act.

Also it is very unsafe to run a saw with the muffler dampening system defeated.

Keep your saws Stock, Safe and Legal!

-Craig

Do not Modify your saw. There are serious Federal penalties for doing anything that would violate EPA Regulations of the Clean Air Act.

-Craig

Explain in detail, Mr Obama?

Explain in detail, Mr Obama?

Oh brother I have been discussing the CAA for days now. The EPA regulates small engine exhausts. It is highly illegal to defeat any EPA certified device.

If you are injured on the site while using a modified saw the insurance companies will not pay out. Also you would have a really big Headache with OSHA.

-Craig

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Oh brother I have been discussing the CAA for days now. The EPA regulates small engine exhausts. It is highly illegal to defeat any EPA certified device.

If you are injured on the site while using a modified saw the insurance companies will not pay out. Also you would have a really big Headache with OSHA.

If you are injured on the worksite you will still be covered - work comp is a no fault law dude, as in it matters not. Injury arises in and out of the scope of employment, and you are covered... :cheers:

-Craig

Here we go again...the "serious Federal penalities" (i.e., a fine) only apply to EPA saws (1997 or later). The "unsafe" part doesn't apply to any saws...unless you add a pipe that is so large you mistake it for a handle while not wearing gloves.

"One time...in band camp...a muffler modded saw started spontaneously and destroyed the entire woodwind section and 3 pianos before it ran out of fuel."

-Craig

Holy crap like who cares? Government panty waste rules for lawyers and sissies. Blah blah blah
:buttkick:

huh

If you are injured on the site while using a modified saw the insurance companies will not pay out. Also you would have a really big Headache with OSHA.[/QUOTE]

im thinkin if u get hurt by a chainsaw its NOT gonna be from the exahaust. unless of course you are trying to run your chainsaw inside your pickup. and how is the insurance company gonna know they wont come look at your equiptment 3 days after the guy got hurt, by then that saw has cut up more trees than u wanna know about. and the insurance company wont be able to pick ou the modded saw if the mod looks stock :chainsaw:

attachment.php

Please post the statue that lists those penalties, specifically having to do with modifying chainsaws.

If wearing hearing protection, which any intelligent saw operator would do, how would one be injured by a modified "muffler dampening system"?

this epa crap sux ballz for starters. so your saying that any modification to a saw will void your insurance huh? sharpening a chain is a modification is it not? changing to an aftermarket bar is a modification. even changing to a different brand spark plug is a modification.

:confused: Seems like Ayersar is an average firewood cuttin joe like myself and many on here. how did OSHA and insurance get involved?? (not commercial operation, unless death has occured i dont think neither give a hoot if a saw has been moded) Any way, did mine after joining AS. lot of knowledge on here. My suggestion would be keep in mind of which way the exhaust blows, not to blow dust on tree inreturn back on you and not to ruin your saw with melting parts due to miss guided direction. I searched on here got many ideas and chose one to my ability, retuned and running better than ever. have fun I did!!!!

-Craig

Surely you jest! This can't be for real. Tell me it isn't so. It also might be unsafe to make asinine posts on this site.:buttkick::buttkick::givebeer::givebeer:

Thinking about doing a muffler mod on my Stihl MS 270. I was wonder if it is a good idea and if it is then how should i go about doing it?

Sorry, ayerser. That first answer to your question kind of hijacked the thread.

There is probably more written on the topic of muffler modding on this forum than any other topic. Use the "search" function in the green title bar that shows up on every page, and try to be specific. Plugging in "muffler mod" will give you too many threads (including this one! :) ). Try "MS270 muffler" or something specific like that.

If there isn't something specifically on the 270, then read the whole sticky thread at the top of each page called "DIY muffler mods" and see how other members have modified their mufflers and let your creative juices flow. The only way you could go wrong is to make the outlet too big. Keep the diameter of your new outlet hole on the conservative side and you should be fine.
Good luck!:chainsaw:

Back