mulberry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
have access to lots of mulberry trees, can't seem to find much info on it. How does it burn? how does it compare to oak or cherry in BTUs and weight? etc

educate me please

I can't give you a btu count (try Google Search), BUT, in a word, FANTASTIC! it is a cousin of Osage Orange (Hedge) and burns very similarly, minus the 4th of July fireworks show, if not properly cured. It is as or more dense than a lot of the different species of OAK and much better than Cherry. Very High heat/ash yield and burns very cleanly. It does take a bit more heat to get it properly lit initially, but in a decent stove (depending on EPA/vs/non-EPA, daft, Cat-vs-non-cat, etc.) a decent load (3-5x 4"-6" splits on a decent bed of coals damped down a bit, will normally yield 3-6hrs burn time. Cut it, it's worth it. It is, however, a PITA to split, when it is (as is often the case) a multi-stem tree from the base up.

Thanks for the info

According to this reference Sweep's Library - Firewood BTU Comparison Charts, it's one of the top woods in BTUs. It's extremely heavy when wet, but after it drys, it's a good burning wood.

i looked at that chart twice and didn't see it. DOH

I can't give you a btu count (try Google Search), BUT, in a word, FANTASTIC! it is a cousin of Osage Orange (Hedge) and burns very similarly, minus the 4th of July fireworks show, if not properly cured. It is as or more dense than a lot of the different species of OAK and much better than Cherry. Very High heat/ash yield and burns very cleanly. It does take a bit more heat to get it properly lit initially, but in a decent stove (depending on EPA/vs/non-EPA, daft, Cat-vs-non-cat, etc.) a decent load (3-5x 4"-6" splits on a decent bed of coals damped down a bit, will normally yield 3-6hrs burn time. Cut it, it's worth it. It is, however, a PITA to split, when it is (as is often the case) a multi-stem tree from the base up.

hopefully the hydraulic splitter will take care of it

Thanks for the info

i looked at that chart twice and didn't see it. DOH

hopefully the hydraulic splitter will take care of it

I have a 35 ton Speeco presently, but used to to it all the time with a 28 ton version. You just have to read the grain a bit, similar to using a S.S. Hell I used to do it with an axe, but I finally got smarter,...

Mulberry orchard at home, awesome firewood, just give it a year from split/stacked and you will be happy.

Rush it and you will be unimpressed.

terryknight,

Mulberry is as good as any oak for btu and burn time.
It is a fantastic wood for a woodstove but a poor choice for an open fireplace.
Mulbery likes to pop off very hot embers all the time it burns so open fireplaces and popping embers are a bad combo.

The rice crispy wood, snap crackle and pop :)

Only ever had one customer turn his nose up when I told him my "mixed" hardwoods contained mulberry. Everyone else loved it. He was a bit of an oak snob...to bad for him.

they're all lying to you, they want to see some sucker get stuck with a bunch of junk wood . Just send it my way and I will make sure it gets disposed of properly :msp_biggrin:

Its a great wood, get all you can. any of your "fruit woods" are going to be really good.

Jeff

It's good fire wood when well seasoned. HOT!
Twisted, knotty, bushy around here, and heavy, because of this it doesn't split straight so doesn't stack well.
(I'm OCD about stacking my wood,, although my stacking aint near as purty as as that "Spider out in Eye-oh-way")
The bigger ones,(not many of those around here), have some pretty straight wood in 'em.

Get it processed and in your wood pile/stack,,you'll be glad to have it when it's seasoned well and cold out side.

Latest posts

Back