Murphy's Law: Who Is In Charge of Your Woodpile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was that where some of Ted Nugent's Byrdland ES 335's were made? Some of the former employees bought that factory back around when I first started playing guitar. They called it Heritage Guitars and made a mean axe. Skilled craftsmen. Always busy honing their craft and no time for criticizing. The Nuge hones craft and criticizes, but he's earned that and he's right. Nuge do more for ecology than all the drunks combined.
Temp droppin' here 'spider. Freezing up with fresh snow. Might have to get back to work. Thanks for a good laugh, though guys. I came here for the advertisements, and stayed for the comic relief. But I like to write, too.

Don't know about Nudge's gittfiddle preference, but, apart from spruce tops, most luthiers care little on the topic of native hardwoods on tone. Maple's an exception. Heard a few positive things about hedge, too.

Solid Bodies.

Don't know about Nudge's gittfiddle preference, but, apart from spruce tops, most luthiers care little on the topic of native hardwoods on tone. Maple's an exception. Heard a few positive things about hedge, too.

My builds have all been solidbody. American Basswood, a type of Poplar best tonewood. Check out Ibanez- You'll see. I use Rock Maple necks and Cocobolo fretboards. Hard to get Ebony or Rosewood, today. They're worried they'll import some kind of bug. Tell Guido Salvage and Logbutcher, Tree names should be capitalized, just like God or Mom.

My builds have all been solidbody. American Basswood, a type of Poplar best tonewood. Check out Ibanez- You'll see. I use Rock Maple necks and Cocobolo fretboards. Hard to get Ebony or Rosewood, today. They're worried they'll import some kind of bug. Tell Guido Salvage and Logbutcher, Tree names should be capitalized, just like God or Mom.

The worry with ebony, rosewood, mahog, etc, seems more of a sustainability issue - less so bug related.

Good to know of the tonality of basswood. Maple has long been a neck and back wood for various reasons.

The best way to sustain wood is to use it. I make fretboards out of Brazillian Rosewood, and I know the wood is going to stay around. If you hit the tree with a D65 Komatsu, I'm not making any promises. Necessity is the Mother of invention. People will rise to the occasion.

My Mother always said,"The only thing you Monsters understand is PAIN!"

Men of worth see victory where most men see nothing. (That's a loose translation from Sun Tzu's, The Art of War.) Golgogit, are you taking notes?

I gotta go write a thread on the use of Tai Chi principles and Chinese Southern Boxing concepts that are applicable to splitting maul usage. Give you a hint. Do you play golf? It's all about club speed. Multiply that with hip rotation and improve your game. That's why a spinning backfist hits so hard. We have been trying to nail down whipping motion for two decades, also. It's the most effective method I know if you have to break a brick with your hand. You know--Follow Through.

Seek a personal expression, then Practice. Practice. Practice. How else do You explain Edward Van Halen?

Catch you guys later.

I gotta go write a thread on the use of Tai Chi principles and Chinese Southern Boxing concepts that are applicable to splitting maul usage. Give you a hint. Do you play golf? It's all about club speed. Multiply that with hip rotation and improve your game. That's why a spinning backfist hits so hard. We have been trying to nail down whipping motion for two decades, also. It's the most effective method I know if you have to break a brick with your hand. You know--Follow Through.

Seek a personal expression, then Practice. Practice. Practice. How else do You explain Edward Van Halen?

Catch you guys later.

Most people, of normal intelligence, don't over-analyze splitting wood. Lift maul, swing and drop maul, repeat. Most figure it out. However, if you can make a living by convincing people that they must go to a class to split wood, or pay to learn, good on you.

Splitting wood is not about speed for me. It is about getting the wood into a size that will fit into the wood stove and also a size that will allow drying. Speed can cause accidents. Steady is the word to use. Splitting is more of an endurance activity.

Most people, of normal intelligence, don't over-analyze splitting wood. Lift maul, swing and drop maul, repeat. Most figure it out. However, if you can make a living by convincing people that they must go to a class to split wood, or pay to learn, good on you.

Splitting wood is not about speed for me. It is about getting the wood into a size that will fit into the wood stove and also a size that will allow drying. Speed can cause accidents. Steady is the word to use. Splitting is more of an endurance activity.

Good on you, too. SlowP. I'm not gettin' paid to have fun on ArboristSite. Continuous improvement--Just different philosophies. That one got you off the ignore list.

Good on you, too. SlowP. I'm not gettin' paid to have fun on ArboristSite. Continuous improvement--Just different philosophies. That one got you off the ignore list.

Hmmph. As if. Please put me back on your ignore list. I have the feeling I would be with some very fine company.

You are coming off to be pretty arrogant. The kind I would not like to work with. The kind who might last a day or so, then would be walking back to town.

A well respected hooktender once said of a cohort, "He has a lot of book smart, but he don't have much real world smart."

Take heed. Now, back to the ignore list for me, please.

Hmmph. As if. Please put me back on your ignore list. I have the feeling I would be with some very fine company.

You are coming off to be pretty arrogant. The kind I would not like to work with. The kind who might last a day or so, then would be walking back to town.

A well respected hooktender once said of a cohort, "He has a lot of book smart, but he don't have much real world smart."

Take heed. Now, back to the ignore list for me, please.

Actually, 3000FPS is the only one on there, now. Rest of your type too funny. Post it somewhere else and I won't have to self-indulge. Don't insult my work ethic, though.

Actually, 3000FPS is the only one on there, now. Rest of your type too funny. Post it somewhere else and I won't have to self-indulge. Don't insult my work ethic, though.

I don't think it was your work ethic she insulted, but your arrogant, abrasive personality. I can see a crew making your life a living hell until you decided the walk to town was worth it.

Me, I'd just wear my headphones in the truck.

No one was actually on his ignore list, else he would not have been able to read the comments that supposedly got them removed from it! Besides people so desperate for attention don't want to miss any of it.

I don't think it was your work ethic she insulted, but your arrogant, abrasive personality. I can see a crew making your life a living hell until you decided the walk to town was worth it.

Me, I'd just wear my headphones in the truck.

Your first three words I agree with.
I have my own truck. And why would I want to go to town, when everything I need is right out here.
Firing it up. Cranking it up. Next?

Last edited:
The best way to sustain wood is to use it. I make fretboards out of Brazillian Rosewood, and I know the wood is going to stay around. If you hit the tree with a D65 Komatsu, I'm not making any promises. Necessity is the Mother of invention. People will rise to the occasion.

My Mother always said,"The only thing you Monsters understand is PAIN!"

Men of worth see victory where most men see nothing. (That's a loose translation from Sun Tzu's, The Art of War.) Golgogit, are you taking notes?

Catch you guys later.

...blah, blah, blah :popcorn::popcorn: blah, blah, blah

:notrolls2:

Back