my 14year old got his first saw, 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carym2a

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We got some 395XP parts saws and my 14year old started in cleaning and swaping in and out parts new gaskets and rebilt carb, new fuelfilter took him 2 full days but he did most all the work him self, at 6:30pm he run his first cuts , we put a 36" bar with 3/8" chain to start out with, so the learning starts. :)

Cary

not if he knows his way around a saw. when i was 14 i was riding big bore 2 strokes,. and heavey old saws.;)

First saw I ever ran was a Pioneer P62.
I was about that age, I kept letting the bar tip hit dirt, OMG was the old man pissed.....
I say let him run it, show him the ways to be careful and make sure he respects the saw and what it can do to him if he ####s up.

Not me, I started with a Wen electric and graduated to a mini-mac. My first real saw was a P26 with a 18" bar.

Knew this would start something, but he is a big kid and I will Not let him go on his own for a very long time, the 16" poulan will still be the one to get hours on this summer and the 395 for few cuts getting firewood, we all had to start out with something the smallest thing we had when I was a kid was a 175 Canadien and I was half the size my kid is at the same age, I thought he was going to take it to bed with him :hmm3grin2orange:

Cary

Knew this would start something, but he is a big kid and I will Not let him go on his own for a very long time, the 16" poulan will still be the one to get hours on this summer and the 395 for few cuts getting firewood, we all had to start out with something the smallest thing we had when I was a kid was a 175 Canadien and I was half the size my kid is at the same age, I thought he was going to take it to bed with him :hmm3grin2orange:

Cary

Good going. But do you want to make a bet on which saw he'll really want to run? :laugh:

I was the limber back in Jr High some 35 + years ago with the bread cutter - little homelite 12" bar :)

I started at 15 with a 350 and 359 Husky. Then had my first 394 by 18 or 19. Had been running the 084 before then.

Start em young, and teach them good work ethics. :cheers:

I am 6'3" about 240 and my 394xp will wear my ass out. So your kid better be big.

My 14 year old son's saw

here's a video of him and his saw
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bKe9Sln5oqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I think that's awesome!!! I'm only sixteen and have been wanting to have a saw that big for a LONG time and finally got a 288 project saw that's far from complete but i buy parts for it everytime I get extra money... This is gonna take a while LOL

Latest posts

Back