my 359 broke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plastic part that runs the oiler has sliped part way off the drum and is holding the drum out into the clutch. I am going to put it in the press and see if I can push it back on. The worm gear appears to be fine. While I am at it does any one know why I always lose my B/C oil. If I dont use it all it leaks out over night. The oil comes out of the oiler not out of some other place like a crack or a broken cap. Always has since I bought the saw. I got this saw second hand from a dealer. When I took it back he said that it cant be fixed and two others have said it pulls a vacum and you cant fix it.

On my 346XP, the plastic worm gear goes in place in the case then the drum sits into it with the splines of the drum matching the groves in the gear. While holding the drum up against the gear, I thread the clutch into place unti it holds everything together. The 346 may fit together a little different but just saying that for reference.

On the oiler, it is not usual to leak out. My 359 does not leak at all. If vaccum were an issue, you could open then close the oil cap at the end of a days work to release pressure before storing but I suspect there is another problem. Possibly leaking around the exit port of the oiler (some husqvarnas have a gromet there that can be replaced) not sure an the 359 though.

Yea I have tried opening the cap and that does not work. I always figured they just didnt want to mess with it and I dont really lose that much oil because I wont fill it up more that I think I will use. I tried to press the spline back onto the drum but it went a little crooked so I will replace. I did notice that there is an adjustment screw on the oiler. Could this have somethig to do with it staying open and leaking, but that does not really make sense because it will loose all of its oil and some of that oil has to be down hill from the oil feed. Not really worried about the oil just thought while I was at it I might try and fix it. My 55, 51, and Jred 625 dont really leak much of anything. Maybe it just gets scared in the dark.

any new discoveries on your problem?

Not really. I looked at some of the clutch drum assemblies I have on some other saws and it looks like the plastic spline has slipped farther down the drum shaft than it was originally. I took the oiler out and the bearing and the metal cover plate and there is still not enough clearance. As soon as the clutch is tight it bottoms out on the drum. I tried to press it back on but it cut into the side of the plastic and went crooked. However I did check it for clearance and it does fit now but the drum is not straight. I will replace the drum and see if this works.
I know that this saw had a 3/8 originally but the dealer had put a
.325 sproket on it. This may be the root cause of the problem. I will put a 3/8 back on so it will match the others.

The plastic part that runs the oiler has sliped part way off the drum and is holding the drum out into the clutch. I am going to put it in the press and see if I can push it back on. The worm gear appears to be fine. While I am at it does any one know why I always lose my B/C oil. If I dont use it all it leaks out over night. The oil comes out of the oiler not out of some other place like a crack or a broken cap. Always has since I bought the saw. I got this saw second hand from a dealer. When I took it back he said that it cant be fixed and two others have said it pulls a vacum and you cant fix it.

Make sure you have the correct drum/pump drive(gear). The 359/2159 could come with either a small or large(standard) spline drum with the appropriate gear. I would check and see if things are miss-matched. You shouldn’t have to press anything!

Make sure you have the correct drum/pump drive(gear). The 359/2159 could come with either a small or large(standard) spline drum with the appropriate gear. I would check and see if things are miss-matched. You shouldn’t have to press anything!

That is what I was thinking as I can't see pressing anything on. My 359 had a 3\8 standard spline from factory.

Latest posts

Back