my 372xp just locked up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's called :arg: thread jacked! and it started with #6

Yea I pulled a stupid once on a 2171... I figured it was the crank since the rod bearings are so prone to fail... Well I tear it down most of the way before I get to the flywheel.. One of the case bolts had backed out against the flywheel.. Boy was I :msp_cursing:

Thanks troll, thats just what i wanted! Can you find the same for my other saws somewhere?

Thanks to everyone else for the input!

And my apolligize for high jacking the thread from the OP.

For many Huskys, yes (not the really old ones), and Jonsereds made after 1990. Many Stihls as well, but generally not Partners (or other brands).

i didnt get to it yet. Last nite i had to clear the work bench off so i had a place to tear into and i had to watch by boy, hopefully tonite i can start on it.

i got a chance to work on the saw tonite. I am 90% sure that a bolt behind the flywheel vibrated loose. I can hear somthing rattling in there. got a socket and took the nut loose on the flywheel and i was able to turn it. I also got a flash lite and looked behind there and think i see where there should be a bolt but no bolt. so I do not have a puller, any ideas how to get the flywheel off.

I don't see how you can't the flywheel off if you can turn it.

If its still on there, you could try and tap the crank with some leverage behind the flywheel. Be sure to thread the nut on the crank so as not to ruin the threads. .

Stick a large screwdriver or small prybar between the flywheel and crankcase. Partially thread the nut back onto the end of the crankshaft enough so that the threads of the crank aren't sticking out but the nut is on there. Apply pressure to the prybar/screwdriver (lightly) and tap the nut with a hammer (lightly ....preferably not a waffle face framing hammer). This usually is usually enough to loosen it because the crankshaft is tapered. Any auto parts store will sell a suitable puller but then you need to hunt down bolts the right length and so on to fit into the starter dog bolt holes. Pretty rare the ole prybar hammer trick won't work.

last video on page one, guy is working on a poulan. Should give you a good idea of how to pull it. He didn't even use a prybar. that tool he has just assures you don't mash your nut up.

i didnt get the flywheel off yet but been trying. I have had a busy week and i promise i will post here once i get the flywheel off and see what going on. I am going to look for a puller that will fit.

Back