My beautiful Oak tree is dead!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redbull

Redbull

ArboristSite Guru
This beautiful Oak tree in pic#1 was dead when I moved in my house two years ago. A few months ago a limb fell and bent the top rail on the neighbors fence. I asked them if they cut a hole in the tree to put up their fence and they fessed up and said they did. I asked them if the tree was alive when they did it and they admitted that it was :angry: I couldn't believe it!! So I gave them $20 for the top rail since the tree was on my property and then asked them to pitch in for removal of the tree ( which I would be doing ) in the near future, since their actions led to this trees demise. They said no, and that I needed to remove the tree because it was ugly and they were sick of picking up dead limbs from their yard. I said" Oh sure, right away :rolleyes: " Well, today, a big one came down, right on top of their new top rail. Oooopppps!!! She came out screaming at me when I was mowing so I gave in. Threw a rope in it, notched it, and pulled it over. I'm not paying for their top rail this time. I think I've done my part. I cut a "door" in the stump and my son could easily stand inside with room to play. I'm gonna miss that tree.

Last edited:
jason j ladue

jason j ladue

Vanilla Snoop
i dont know what to think/say about that.i wonder if drilling a hole like that would be enough to kill that tree. if i had a boy like that and a big-ass dead tree like that-that tree woulda been long gone already would be outta there. you can feel fortunate one of those falling limbs didnt put a dent in anythig more precious than that toprail. :angel: cool play-stump. i'm sure the kid loves it...

Redbull

Redbull

ArboristSite Guru
The second pic kind of shows the notch that they cut. It is about 4" deep, 4" tall, and went across the whole diameter of the tree. MB, the storage buildings are still there. I didn't damage anything when I fell the tree. The only thing this tree threatened was the neighbors fence. I understand my responsibilities as the owner of the tree, but the neighbor wanted nothing to do with helping me remove the tree, even though they likely were the cause of it's death.

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
I sure don't see the notch. :Eye:

attachment_22930.php

Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Judging by how the "bark" looks on that tree I think it was well on it's way to dieing more than two years before. If I would have seen that tree I would guess that it has been standing dead for 7-8 years. There might have been a thread of life in it but it sure doesn't seem that the fence notch put the last nail in the coffin.

This analysis is being done from my desk in Denver so take it for what you want :)

rivahrat

rivahrat

ArboristSite Operative
awww but it looked like a great place to swing!

i got another tree out here that comes out of the ground and then arches over and grows back into the ground. if you look at it the right way it looks like the tree has legs. ill see if i can get some pics of it.