My Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice group of Homelites! I've been meaning to ask how you like the XL-400? Can you tell a big difference between it and the SXL?

Dan

Not as much as I had hoped, but some. I briefly ran my 27" bar on it and it definitley handled it better than the SXL. It seemed to bog a bit less on the real big stuff. But the XL-870, that thing will cut to the full 27" and love every minute of it!

I has a group shot too.

Saws.jpg

Not all Homelites but more than anything else.
Back row center what model is that 360, 450, 550, 650, 750? Looks like about 360 size next to that husky 55.

Last edited:
Hoss - Thats a 360, I got it running just not very well, I can't get the carb settings right, it seems like either something is still plugged or I need a gasket kit.

Hoss - Thats a 360, I got it running just not very well, I can't get the carb settings right, it seems like either something is still plugged or I need a gasket kit.
A carb master rebuild kit is always a good idea, not much time or money. While you are into that part of the saw you might want to replace the rubber intake boot. Even when they look good sometimes they can be brittle and crack the first time you push on the saw in the cut. Once that is done, if it still does not run quite right and the piston/cylinder is not scored and you have healthy spark, then replace the crank seals. All this stuff is easy enough and not over expensive (and not too hard to find yet) and will assure a long lasting cutting life on an older saw.

Check the boot and impulse line.

btw, whats the symptoms?

HOH

Boot is new, impulse line is giving a nice pulse when I turned the motor over with a cordless drill. The saw starts easy enough, fires after only 3-4 pulls, I can get it to run at a high idle for about 20 seconds or so and it wants to die. If I try to open it up it wants to die, even if I feather the throttle. I took the main cover off the muffler so I could eliminate that as a potential problem. When it dies there is no smoking so I assume it is always running out of fuel.

Latest posts

Back