My Dolmar 5100 won't run????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justsaws, thanks for the insight. I came to the conclusion that the fuel supply is the problem, and that it was probably a gummed up carb. I took it in to the dealer and explained everything I did. I'll wait and see what he says. Just so I know, are you saying the pressure of spraying carb cleaner in the carb could damage it?

The use of pressure from the can of cleaner could cause damage but more importantly it does not actually clean the carb or demonstrate that the carb is working properly. The damage that could be caused is most likely repairable with a new carb kit. There are some exceptions.

Or the chemicals in the cleaner do some damage?

Many pressurized carb cleaners use harsh solvents that can weaken gaskets and rubber components. If you feel you have to spray something it a carb I would suggest WD-40.

Also, sea foam in the gas can weaken gaskets?

Sea Foam does not seem to have any immediate effect in terms of weakening gaskets when mixed properly. I know many people who swear by it and have had many years of success mixing it with the standard fuel mix. It is not needed and the results that they swear by are most likely not going to go away if they stop using Sea Foam. Modern 2 cycle oils are vastly superior to the oils that were in use when Sea Foam was introduced to the market.

Or pouring pure sea foam in the carb?

On a 2 cycle engine there is not much that is going to be cleaned by pouring Sea Foam down the throat of the carb. There are no valves, etc. like in a 4 cycle engine. Best case, is the Sea foam loosens some gunk off the piston and cylinder. Worst case, is it strips the oil wash off the piston and cylinder and causes damage or the carbon that it cleans off scores the piston and cylinder, etc.

Thanks

I hope your saw gets repaired. Locally for me, a one week wait is fairly typical and right now would be a quick turn around.

Last edited:
And the problem was???????????????

A kinked fuel line................. Not covered by the 2 year emissions warranty, but Dolmar agreed to pay for all the upgradeable parts that my older saw would benefit from and I will pay my dealer to install them. I'll pick it up the end of this week, and if it runs like it used to, all will be good :)

It would be very interesting to see exactly where the fuel line was kinked, or whether it was being pinched. See if you can get the details from your dealer. While I found mine to be pinched, after slightly moving it (un-pinching) it still appeared to have a kink, although it runs OK now.

Yup, the dealer said the old fuel lines were less rigid and slightly longer up by the carb and that in my particular case, the extra length sort of bent into an S shape and kinked up. The new lines are more rigid and have less extra in the carb compartment. I fired her up again last night and she runs like a champ again! :biggrinbounce2:

You know its funny, and I thinks its been mentioned here before, but chainsaws do seem to inspire us in strange ways. I don't get all sentimental and attached to my other power equipment.

How can you check whether your fuel line is kinked? I tried looking in there last night but cannot see the last section near the carb. I've had many problems with my 5100 and this could certainly explain it. Is there something I need to remove?

I would be very interested in where you fuel line was kinked. My 5100 has fuel problems and I keep meaning to dig it out and try to figure out what the problem is.

Runs very lean when warmed up.

I would love a simple solution.

Latest posts

Back