My Ebay 044- got the wrong saw... leaving feedback?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbolyard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just received an 044 that I purchased off Ebay- the seller was "utahsurplus" (State of UT surplus property) and was selling several 044's at the same time. When I received my saw, I noticed right off that it wasn't the saw I had bid on because (1) the tank has been replaced and has a 1/4 turn cap, (2) the "Stihl 044" badge on the engine cover was missing, and (3) the "Stihl" badge was missing from the recoil housing. Upon cleaning/further inspecting the saw I found the serial #, which does match the invoice I received and the serial # listed in the auction- what happened was they simply put the wrong photo in the auction I won. I contacted the seller and let them know and asked for a partial refund- they said my only option was to send the saw back at my cost for a full refund- that they would not give a partial refund because all the other buyers were happy with their saws. I dug around and noticed that the guy who won the auction that has the photo of the saw I actually received bought about 7 of them, so I doubt he even knows he got one of the wrong saws. I told the seller I will be leaving negative feedback based on the fact that the photo in the auction was a misrepresentation of the saw- do you folks feel I am justified in doing so?

Different 044

Well is the saw in better overall shape than the one you bid on? You may want to just ask the seller to give/purchase the name plates your missing. Sometimes accidents do happen especially if he/she is selling big quanities of items. As for the partial refund i doubt you'd have much luck seeing has the seller offered you a full refund if you return the complete saw. The name plates aren't expensive. "OH", and pictures would help of both saws auction if possible. Negative feedback isn't something i'd do in this case but try to iron it out between you both too the satifaction of the seller and the buyer. Once - feedback is left for him, he will surely return the favor.

Last edited:
Negative feedback isn't something i'd do in this case but try to iron it out between you both too the satifaction of the seller and the buyer. Once - feedback is left fo him, he will surely return the favor.

One of the recent changes on Ebay is that sellers can no longer leave negative feeback - only no feedback or positive. In this case since they have offered a refund, keep the saw if you like it or send it back. Sounds like they made a mistake but are really limited in what they can do.

Good luck,
Brian

The seller can no longer leave neg. fb - Any seller can leave only pos. or none at all. I think that sucks, but it's what ebay has become. cbolyard, if you paid with a credit card, through paypal you can have some recourse there, if you feel you got the shaft - I realize the pics. were wrong, seller error, but how bad is the saw you got? Is it worth what you paid or a real crap-o-saw ?

The seller does not in any way deserve negative feedback. You've said that you think the photo was a mistake, and that he was not intentionally misrepresenting the item. He has offered you your money back. What more should a seller do? You are being unreasonable.

Is there something REALLY wrong with the saw??? Or are you just worried about some stickers or scratches. I don't expect scrapbay saws to even run if I buy one so count yourself lucky if it does.

I got an 044 from them as well. Wrong one in the pic too, not a big deal, jst not as new a bar as they had pictured. I didn't really care, for under $200 I couldn't argue. The saw runs great, and does exactly what its meant to, and then some. Give them neutral feedback, but not negative. Does it run, cut, and operate as it should? If yes, then you got it for a stihl, and you should be more than happy to have an $800 saw for under $200.

You're 100% right, you bid and bought the item represented in the picture. I would send the saw back get my money back and then leave neutral feedback for your trouble. The conflict resolution center at Paypal is VERY buyer supportive and you may get your shipping cost refunded eventually. After all on this form alone it appears someone else got the wrong saw from this seller. It may seem trival to some but when you are buying off a picture it's integrity is everything. The seller has the responsibilty to acurately manage their goods. There are sellers that manage hundreds of items a day without issue. You would only hope that it was a mistake and not a bait & switch.

I sometimes list multiple items under one listing in my eBay store, so if you buy a small part from me it may not be the exact item in the picture, but.... I would never do this on a large expensive item like a saw, if I had 10 saws of the same model to sell I would list them seperately so you could see what you're getting. In fact, I always list any "cosmetic" parts such as clutch covers & recoil starters seperately just so the buyer can see exactly what he's getting.

It does'nt really matter on a mechanical item that can't be seen, but a whole saw? Yes, I too would be upset if I were you and I personally would never do that to a customer. If you can live with the saw then just deal with it - if you can't, try filing a claim with paypal. Stuff like this will hurt the buyer in the long run and I think you have a valid claim.

If the saw you received isn't the one in the picture, and you aren't happy with the saw they need to refund your money. And none of this "send the saw back at my cost for a full refund" :censored: either. They misrepresented the item and it's up to them to fix it. File a dispute with Paypal. Then contact them again about a partial refund. But if you do go that route be prepared to return the saw, at their expense...

If you truly feel that the saw was misrepresented, push for a refund to include all shipping costs.

If you can live with the saw, but still aren't happy with how the seller handled the situation, keep the saw & leave a neutral feedback. The neutral feedback might be enough to get the seller to pay closer attention to what he's doing.

If this kid buys another saw or two, he will have 1,000 posts by July 4th.

Are you referring to me?

As far as the saw goes, I still feel like I got a bargain- $144 for the saw and its a runner (haven't cut with it yet) so I have no complaints there. My complaint is that the saw I thought I was getting is not the one I got because the seller screwed up the pictures in their ad. Yes it has some bangs and scuffs, but it's a used saw so I can't cry over that. I don't want to send the saw back, because even if they refunded all my shipping costs (which would be tough to do since I had a friend pick up and ship the saw to me since the seller didn't offer shipping) I wouldn't likely be able to get another decent 044/440 for the money I'd get back.

Here is the saw I bid on- click here for link.

Here is my thread with photos of the saw I got- click here for link.

Here is a link to the auction that has the photo of the saw I actually received- click here for link.

As far as condition of the saw goes I don't have a leg to stand on, because in the auction it does say condition is not guaranteed (otherwise I could really throw a fit because the sprocket nose on the bar is hosed) but it's very easy to see that the saw I got is NOT the one in the auction, and to me that is a misrepresentation of the item. I've never left anyone negative feedback on Ebay before, and the amount of thought I've put into doing so is kind of rediculous. I just wish they would give a partial refund and we could put this behind us... then I'd leave positive feedback and life would be good.

As far as the saw goes, I still feel like I got a bargain- $144 for the saw and its a runner (haven't cut with it yet) so I have no complaints there. (...) I just wish they would give a partial refund and we could put this behind us... then I'd leave positive feedback and life would be good.
That's ridiculous. You think you got a bargain, yet you want money back? What's your user id so I can put you on my list of not doing business with?

$144 for a running 044 and you think you're owed a refund. That really takes the cake.

Last edited:
If the saw is in good running condition and your not happy with it I'll give you what you paid for it plus shipping to me... Then you can go buy another one and forget about this one. The only other thing I ask is that you give the eBay seller a good feedback because I think he did all he could to make you happy offering you a full refund less shipping. I hope this offer helps. Thanks, Eric :)

If the saw you received isn't the one in the picture, and you aren't happy with the saw they need to refund your money. And none of this "send the saw back at my cost for a full refund" :censored: either. They misrepresented the item and it's up to them to fix it. File a dispute with Paypal. Then contact them again about a partial refund. But if you do go that route be prepared to return the saw, at their expense...

I feel like you looked at the saws, picked out the one you wanted and bid on it, the pic is the main selling point on Ebay. A partial refund or return the saw and get a full refund including shipping is the only fair thing to do.

JFYI I do this to if I needed an 044

If the saw is in good running condition and your not happy with it I'll give you what you paid for it plus shipping to me... Then you can go buy another one and forget about this one. The only other thing I ask is that you give the eBay seller a good feedback because I think he did all he could to make you happy offering you a full refund less shipping. I hope this offer helps. Thanks, Eric :)

That's ridiculous. You think you got a bargain, yet you want money back? What's your user id so I can put you on my list of not doing business with?

$144 for a running 044 and you think you're owed a refund. That really takes the cake.

A seller that thinks he can put up a pic of any :censored: thing he wants and then ship any other :censored: thing he wants and the buyer shouldn't have any recourse. That really takes the cake. :clap:

Back