My first craigslist burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup that sucks.

I had one the other day. I found a 36" Alaskan mill, they were only asking $25 cause it was dirty and the nuts and bolts were a little rusty. I emailed right away, no number listed. I said I'll come right now to get it. They said they were busy and could not do it that day, said either Wednesday eve or on the weekend, and to give them my number, and said they would hold it for me. I gave them my number, and they never called wed, so I emailed to make sure it was still on, they have never given me their number. I emailed on the Thursday, and they said they sold it to someone else??????????? I was like WTF??? grrrrrrrr, pisses me off.

Ouch, I sure hope another one shows up for you.

When i got there the guy that bought the saw looked familiar but I could not place him. As I was driving away I remembered where I new him from. I was at an auction a couple moths ago that had over 100 saws for sale. Mostly older parts saws. While the auctioneer was selling other stuff this guy was walking around with a worker from the tree company that was having the sale and was setting some of the best saws aside. When I asked what was up he said he didn't have time to wait around so he was buying a few of the saws and leaving. I went to the cashiers table and told them what was going on. They made them put all the saws back. The guy must not have been too busy after all because 4 hours later when they finally got to the saws he was still there to bid on them.

You're an idiot if you promise to hold something for any time without money. Many people who are "coming right now" never show. Making that promise was his mistake, believing such an unbelievable promise was yours. Instead of lollygagging on the phone, you should have been concentrating on your driving.

Nope don't agree. If your not going to do something then don't FFING say your going to. If I tell somebody I'm going to do something I don't go back on it.

I guess coming from a lawyer wannabe you're expected to be a lying scumbag.

You're an idiot if you promise to hold something for any time without money. Many people who are "coming right now" never show. Making that promise was his mistake, believing such an unbelievable promise was yours. Instead of lollygagging on the phone, you should have been concentrating on your driving.

Obviously you have never ridden with me if you thought I was lolly gagging.

Most people here know if you say your gunna do something you do it, if you are not gunna do it you don't say it. Seems like some people operate differently. Space is exempt from this cause he's different, even to the people that operate differently. I've held stuff for people before, have not been bitten yet. I guess that makes me an idiot to a spacemule, I still think I'd rather be an idiot than a spacemule!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Most people here know if you say your gunna do something you do it, if you are not gunna do it you don't say it. Seems like some people operate differently. Space is exempt from this cause he's different, even to the people that operate differently. I've held stuff for people before, have not been bitten yet. I guess that makes me an idiot to a spacemule, I still think I'd rather be an idiot than a spacemule!
:hmm3grin2orange:

I still own an s-10 pickup I held for a guy that never showed up. Know I tell people I will hold it as long as they give me their cell phone number and if some one beats them here I will call them and find out how close they are before I sell.

Wow muleyj I hate to go against anything you state but in this case I think Space has a point. When I read between the lines of the first post I see he stopped and picked up TWO different people. The destination was 15 miles. That's 15 minutes at an average of 60 mph. I am guessing he did not get there in 20 minutes. My take and mine only is drive right there. Secure the saws and then call your buddies to share or whatever. I hate for people to tell me they will be somewhere in 20 minutes and then be late.
If I am wrong then I am wrong but the op has never stated he actually arrived in the promised 20 minutes. I went back and read and just don't see it. Do you? Mike

I did arrive in less than 20 minutes. I only picked up one person and I already stated that that was my mistake I should have just went straight there. I still think the other guy might have beat me there. It would have been close. The other person I called while I was on the highway.

Geeeeeeeeeez gentlemen I'm just messing with space here. The only reason I even looked at the thread again is cause he was the last poster and I can't resist seeing what space has to say this time. Honestly I look forward to his posts, they are entertaining. I know he can handle it. That being said I am a "do what you say and say what you do" kinda guy. If that means I leave myself open to being :censored: then so be it. I'd be kinda ticked too if it happened to me, but not surprised.

I still own an s-10 pickup I held for a guy that never showed up. Know I tell people I will hold it as long as they give me their cell phone number and if some one beats them here I will call them and find out how close they are before I sell.

OK....seriously.......how much for the S-10?

I ended up giving the s-10 to my daughter. If I sold it now she would be pretty upset with me. She is happy the guy was a no show.

I ended up giving the s-10 to my daughter. If I sold it now she would be pretty upset with me. She is happy the guy was a no show.

Well crap...I been looking for another one. I think I have owned 6 or so....Awesome trucks.

now back to your regular scheduled thread.....

Nope don't agree. If your not going to do something then don't FFING say your going to. If I tell somebody I'm going to do something I don't go back on it.

I guess coming from a lawyer wannabe you're expected to be a lying scumbag.

Reread what I said--you're agreeing with it. I guess being an ignorant twit is a prerequisite for insulting me.

Here's what bugs me:
I called they said they still had them. I told them I would be there in 20 minutes if they could hold them. They said OK. They were about 15 miles away. I stopped and picked up bigjohnston and away we went. I called teacherman while I was driving and asked him of he was interested in the 012

15 miles / 60 mph = 15 minutes, assuming this was not in town.

20-15 = 5 minutes left to pick up first friend.

Somewhere in this, he supposedly called second friend and had a conversation. That's some damned fast boogeying let me tell you. I wonder if he ate his jet assed Wheaties that morning!

No, supposing by some miraculous freak of nature powers he was in fact there in the 20 minutes he claimed. Not disputing that mach assed story, let's say he was there on time. Did the guy know the first guy was not the one he promised to hold the saw for? Your guess is as good as mine, but it's certainly feasible he didn't.

Even if he did know the man he was talking to was not who he was holding the saw for, what the hell kind of ####### requests a complete stranger to hold something for them? A man selling something has a single purpose in mind, to obtain goods and or money from the transfer of ownership of a piece of property. What does the man calling and asking to hold offer him? Will he give him more money for holding it? Will he pat his back and buy him a beer? We all know that the man asking for an item to be held is willing to offer nothing in return. Why would he hold it? Unless you've actually given something in return for holding the item, why would you ask someone to hold it? Do you really think someone should forgo selling an item (and remember, selling the item is the only point in advertising something for sale) simply because you request it? It's an ####### request, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Here's what bugs me:

Somewhere in this, he supposedly called second friend and had a conversation. That's some damned fast boogeying let me tell you. I wonder if he ate his jet assed Wheaties that morning!

No, supposing by some miraculous freak of nature powers he was in fact there in the 20 minutes he claimed. Not disputing that mach assed story, let's say he was there on time. Did the guy know the first guy was not the one he promised to hold the saw for? Your guess is as good as mine, but it's certainly feasible he didn't.

Even if he did know the man he was talking to was not who he was holding the saw for, what the hell kind of ####### requests a complete stranger to hold something for them? A man selling something has a single purpose in mind, to obtain goods and or money from the transfer of ownership of a piece of property. What does the man calling and asking to hold offer him? Will he give him more money for holding it? Will he pat his back and buy him a beer? We all know that the man asking for an item to be held is willing to offer nothing in return. Why would he hold it? Unless you've actually given something in return for holding the item, why would you ask someone to hold it? Do you really think someone should forgo selling an item (and remember, selling the item is the only point in advertising something for sale) simply because you request it? It's an ####### request, plain and simple.

After some thought I believe that space is right, you should definitely have given the guy your credit card number before you left. It's obvious space is not accustomed to having people hold his items without payment in advance. That is a shame, it is actually quite satisfying.

I've had the same thing happen a hundred times dealing with craigslist. It sucks I know and it pisses me off to no end but I have begun to look at it as if it is meant to happen it will and if it don't I am probably better off.

I have to agree with Spacemule.

The original poster told the guy he would be there in 20 minutes, I am sure
he got there much later than that.

If he was there in 20 minutes, then he should have his license revoked.

The real question is: How long should the guy wait???

Especially if another guy shows up and is holding the cash?

How long did it really take you? Be honest now..

I've had the same thing happen a hundred times dealing with craigslist. It sucks I know and it pisses me off to no end but I have begun to look at it as if it is meant to happen it will and if it don't I am probably better off.

Craigslist is known for flakes. I've done thousands of deals, mostly selling, and anymore I won't even give someone my address unless they can be here in an hour or so. They tell me "next week" or a "couple days" and I tell 'em to call back when they can come by and see if the item is still available. But if someone is coming over I make sure the item is available when they do. If they no-show I move on, all bets are off. People that tell me they can't make it for a few days are never heard from again in 99.3% of the cases. If I'm getting buried in replies I know I've under priced the item and the eBay flippers are coming out of the woodwork. Oops. I kill the ad, apologize to everyone replying and repost in a week with a more appropriate price.

When buying stuff it's always a crapshoot. I had an extremely flaky looking deal on a way under priced snowblower actually come through recently, much to my amazement. I've been burned very few times. Once something was grossly misrepresented. Once a guy called me as I was driving over to say he sold it (well, at least the putz called...but I had his phone number and I might have done something not-so-nice with it just to feel better about the wasted time and gas...and he could be into guys, never know)

Old guys do like to tell their stories. I'm getting to be one and I notice I do it.

Here's what bugs me:

Oh lets see if we can be an anal ##### and catch the OP out, lol.
Don't say you are going to hold the ####ing thing! :dizzy:

I have to agree with Spacemule.

The original poster told the guy he would be there in 20 minutes, I am sure
he got there much later than that.

If he was there in 20 minutes, then he should have his license revoked.

The real question is: How long should the guy wait???

Especially if another guy shows up and is holding the cash?

How long did it really take you? Be honest now..

Carn John, how many minutes, secs and hundredths late were ya?
You naughty boy you weren't speeding were ya?
Nothing gets past the anal police! :)

Well the seller shouldn't have said he would hold it if he had no intention of doing so. 20-30 minutes is certainly not too much to expect. I bought a 440 off CL and the guy said "you can pick it up afterwork". Since I couldn't get off until the regular time or later I convinced him to bring it too me as I would have the cash in my pocket. He did, I figured it would be gone in 4 or 5 hours since I bought it within 30 minutes of the listing.

Latest posts

Back