My first craigslist burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the other side. I found a car that a friend of mine wanted on CL, about 1/2 hour after it was posted. I was told upfront that I was caller #2, caller #1 was in Kalamazoo (40 minutes farther away than me) and wanted them to hold the car, but they were selling it to the first buyer with cash. I picked up the friend, between the two of us we had enough cash, and we were the first ones to arrive. Several others called while I was en route. The guy from Kzoo called again begging for him to hold the car while we were test driving it.

The difference between my seller and yours was that mine didn't make any stupid promises. If he'd told you first come, first served, you could have left out the 'pick up a friend' step and probably been the first one there.

Here's the other side. I found a car that a friend of mine wanted on CL, about 1/2 hour after it was posted. I was told upfront that I was caller #2, caller #1 was in Kalamazoo (40 minutes farther away than me) and wanted them to hold the car, but they were selling it to the first buyer with cash. I picked up the friend, between the two of us we had enough cash, and we were the first ones to arrive. Several others called while I was en route. The guy from Kzoo called again begging for him to hold the car while we were test driving it.

The difference between my seller and yours was that mine didn't make any stupid promises. If he'd told you first come, first served, you could have left out the 'pick up a friend' step and probably been the first one there.

That's what I'm saying, seller shouldn't have said he'll hold it if he was actually selling to the first person that showed up with cash!

He probably didn't want to hold it for too long, in case the police station was
25 minutes away......

They can be "REAL" anal......

Would be curious though to know how late he was, I mean truthfully.

I've never bought anything off CL. But up here in the Northeast have a very popular weekiy called Uncle Henry's. Same type of deal just on paper (They are actually online too). Many categories, everyone trying to sell stuff they don't need or want. I have done many,many roadtrips around Maine on these purchasing missions. When I call on an item and talk with the seller I set it up with both our phone #s. Most people are super to deal with. I have asked folks to hold something until I can get there, sometimes 3-5 hrs. Most will agree and I only do this if I am 99.9999% positive that I will make the purchase. They understand my investment in travel costs. However it is agreed that I will arrive when I say and if I have ANY variation from this I am on the phone or if he can't be there he calls me ASAP to re-plan. Unless the item is grossly misdescribed I consider myself bound to purchase if I've had them hold the item, same as placing a bid on ebay. Because as space said the reason to advertise an item for sale is to SELL IT not accomodate every Tom, Richard (they won't let me say####!!) and Harry Tirekicker. I find for the most part the people I've met are honest and respectful of my investment in traveling to the deal and in return they get my honesty and respect as to their need to sell as quickly as possible. If I am on the road I may call a 2-3 times to update the seller that I am in fact coming and where I am presently also to reinforce to them my seriousness. Nothing sucks more than driving 3 hrs one way and meet someone leaving the sellers driveway with "your" item in the back of "their" pickup!! I find lots communication goes a long way in securing the purchase of a good used item at a reasonable price. And as others have said, sometimes meeting someone interesting is worth more than the deal. I have been invited into peoples homes for coffee and cookies and to look at their hobbies or carpentry projects they just completed on numerous occasions. I find, for the most part it is a pleasant and refreshing way to acquire stuff you need.
Not always though, once in a while it's "here it is gimme the cash a get the hell outa here!!" Rare but that does happen too.:cheers:

Been there done that....got a few T-shirts for proof !

It's all in the art of the deal, and the art is COMMUNICATION SKILLS. Remember sometimes you are the only one with scrouples but always be very accurate in your wording and even clearer in your expectations.

When buying a saw or any other CL item I try to assess the sellers intent/need/knowledge of the item, then express his timeframe. Around here a well priced Stihl 'anything' will sell in minutes. I often check the posting time to see how LATE I was to respond. Then call and have the journey begin. You can usually get an idea how much interest the guy is getting by how many calls he says he got already..."you're the 10th guy to call already" means get there now or she'll be gone.

I bought a snap on top box loaded with tools this way. I was the 10th caller and people were coming from all over the place to buy it. My luck was this guy was within a mile of me so I was their first. About 3 people showed up while I was their. One guy drove 70 miles and was he pissed. Anyway you win and lose some. I hate selling on craigslist. You never know how much time you will waste. I list a fair price with the words firm in the listing. Always someone shows up short on cash. I send them away and usually they go to their car and get the rest. One ahole said because he drove to me I should give a 50 dollar discount. I told him to leave and said the item is no longer for sale. You should have seen the look on his face. The next guy bought it for the asking price with no problems. Some buyers need a lesson. When purchasing on CL the buyer needs to drive. If the buyer thinks the price is to high in the ad. Dont bother to come and look at it. The seller sets the price and terms. If the seller says he will hold it for you and you turn up 2 hours late and its sold. Be mad at yourself and get the heck of my property. Lastly Cash is cash nothing else will do. No half cash half check BS. I would still take craigslist over ebay.

Two thoughts:

A) I sell from time to time on Craigslist and clearly mention in each ad that the first one with CASH owns the item. I try to accommodate people, but also have a life and don't want to be tied to my house to sell a $20 item. I also clearly state that if the ad is still posted that the item is for sale and immediately take it down once it is sold.

B) I have been in the same position as the OP. Back before the Internet I was a big collector of tractors and found a B.F. Avery for sale in a buy and sell rag one Saturday night. Called the seller at around 9:30 and told him that I would be there in the morning to get it. Left the house at 6:30 in the morning with my trailer and drove over 3 hours to his location to find no one there and a sign on the door that the tractor was sold. Needless to say, I was hot!

and a handshake means nothing to most folks

sorry for the bum deal, happened to me a few times already!

Already experienced that multiple times,

There are very few people I know with a solid handshake, and rarely Does a guy shake your hand unless you start it. It is sad.

Already experienced that multiple times,

There are very few people I know with a solid handshake, and rarely Does a guy shake your hand unless you start it. It is sad.

A man with a solid handshake doesn't ask for handouts and something for nothing.

Well it is obvious that anyone that calls will say when they will get there,
and expect the guy to hold it.
I have put a couple of things on craiglist, and had people say they are on the way, I will be there in an hour, etc..

They still haven't made it, boy am I mad!!!!

So if someone shows up with the cash, should I turn him away?

If I told him I had another guy on the way, and he had 10 minutes left to
get there, otherwise he could buy the saw.

If I told a guy I would wait 20 minutes, I would wait and stall for a little
while but not very much. Especially if I had a guy there with the cash in hand.
Making the guy wait an extra half hour, then selling to the guy that was late, then that guy would go home and start a "Craiglist burn" thread,
and most of you would be on his side too.

I guess the best option is just state that first come, first get.

That's the common sense way of doing things. All of this bs about having to drive for nothing is just that, bs. If you haven't bought it, you're entitled to nothing. Sellers need to grow backbones and tell demanding people they're not going to hold anything. The chance of something being sold before you get there is simply the reality of buying used equipment. It's going to be sold before someone gets there, and that someone may or may not be you.

Furthermore, this op promised teacherman he would look at the other saw for him. Instead of staying good on his promise, he got pissy and wanted to teach the seller a lesson. It takes all kinds!

Reread what I said--you're agreeing with it. I guess being an ignorant twit is a prerequisite for insulting me.

On the contrary, there is great diversity among the people who insult you; there are no prerequisites. It is completely open to the general public.

Last edited:
After some thought I believe that space is right, you should definitely have given the guy your credit card number before you left. It's obvious space is not accustomed to having people hold his items without payment in advance. That is a shame, it is actually quite satisfying.

I would agree 100% here.

Seems like every other post "Spacemule" makes is some kind of "your an Idiot if", whatever the thread is about.

Must be nice to be that smug!

Respects,

Richard

Let me add that I would have no problem with holding an item if there were some compensation for it. Say "Would you hold the item for 20 minutes if I give you $20 over your asking price?"

That would not be unreasonable. It gives the buyer fair compensation for putting off actual sales, it defines an exact time for which the compensation is paid, and it gives both buyer and seller motivation to promptly conclude the transaction.

Most of all, it's not begging for something for nothing.

I hate to say it but you are absolutely right. The other buyer should not be penalized because someone claims they are coming for it and the seller should not be penalized, and potentially lose a sale because someone claims they are coming.

unfortunately we all know that money talks and ... walks.

Let me add that I would have no problem with holding an item if there were some compensation for it. Say "Would you hold the item for 20 minutes if I give you $20 over your asking price?"

That would not be unreasonable. It gives the buyer fair compensation for putting off actual sales, it defines an exact time for which the compensation is paid, and it gives both buyer and seller motivation to promptly conclude the transaction.

Most of all, it's not begging for something for nothing.

Now who in this scenario do you suppose was begging:dizzy:

Back